talk/lecture video showings

milk

talk/lecture video showings

Post by milk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 am

i was wondering about the possibility of screening videos from talks like those at TED, GoogleTalks, etc, in the café some evening(s)?

the google talk vids average around 50 mins. good uns include those by cory doctorow (boingboing.net editor, on copyright/economics), mike gravel (outspoken democratic presidential candidate nominee)/ron paul (libertarian republician presidential candidate nominee), neil gaiman (author), violet blue (sex positive author/journo) and aubrey de grey (on life extension technologies)

the TED talks are 20 mins long, rather succinct and often, like, wow. my faves include hans rosling (on statistics), steven levitt (freakonomics dude), ken robinson (on education) and lawrence lessig (creative commons founder).

one other talk i can't not mention is this one by the mighty ray kurzweil on the singularity.

is this feasible? anyone else got ideas for other talk videos?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Martin

Post by Martin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 am

Some from here where I am now, and previous years, might be suitable.[/url]

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:57 pm

I'd come, sounds cool. I don't see any reason not? Just book a time, and you'll probably have to hook a laptop up to the projector.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:32 pm

ill come too

milk

Post by milk » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:15 am

cool, i'll look into ripping some of those vids from you.tube for laptop playback
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

chombee

Post by chombee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:10 pm

For linux there's a package called clive that rips from youtube or google video, you can feed it a list of URLs in a file and it'll munch them one by one. Very handy. There are many many ways to do this ofcourse. I enjoyed the videos you posted, any more to post? Or is this just going to spoil the cafe showings.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

milk

Post by milk » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 am

either or really. my youtube faves can be seen here. there a whole load of interesting stuff straight through the archives of the google talks and the ted stuff, and the Computer History Museum channel is good for techy stuff. other than that, youtubing/google videoing the names of peeps who might put on talks anywhere is a good bet. but i shall get around to getting the viewing stuffs done at some point :)