Events and Promotion

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
chakan hislop

Events and Promotion

Postby chakan hislop » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:42 pm

How does the forest values and mission play out during the organisation and management of events and the way artists could possibly be further supported through the promotion of the events.

What part do forest events play in the forest set up, and as part of the wider Edinburgh scene, and how can this be developed to provide more opportunity and support for everyone involved...

These are the questions that will be dealt with on this thread, and everyone is entitled to an comment obviously.. we should try to keep it objective orientated.. we must remember that no one person is entirely responsible for forest events (correct me if i am wrong), and therefore it is not anyones fault if there are areas that could be addressed.
--------------------------------------------------------
Q. what´s the difference between insight and insightful actions?
A. maybe, possibly, probably...

Gandhi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Gandhi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:43 pm

Chakan, you do definately bring up some good points (the ones i can understand that is :D ), but you must admit that the Forest is a wonderfully unique place, and often the spontaniousness and crazyness forms from the fact that the place is not run by managers and owners or people with long term wisdom and knowledge gained from previous management experience or degrees in event management or business.
However by making (although brief) visits to some of the working groups I can see that people do often have the skill and maturity to confront some very important business issues without panicking and running away, and if they do need help with things, due to the Forest been a place where all sorts of people hang around, there always seems to be people of experience to talk to, whther it be on legal matters, technical and money matters. The Forest business plan works. Maybe not in the same way as other business do there business plan but again, thats the beauty. it allows for people to grow and learn as well as allowing a more freeflowing way of doing things.
Saying that, there are areas that could do with improvement, including sound engineers, but throwing money at problems is not something the Forest has really ever done (sorry about the generalisation), and I believe using common sense and a bit ingenuity we can overcome these problems. How about speaking directly to the sound engineers at Uni wanting a bit of live practice? In fact there is a thread listing engineers we can contact, but this does definately need expanding and to be used more often.
Sometimes getting things done can be a struggle but they do get done thanks to the lovely hardcore vollies (of which I am undoubtedly not one of...sorry).
Streamlining the way things are done would be great, but we must always remember that the Forest is not like other places, and intense practices and strict business plans would hinder more people than it would help. This doesn't mean they are wrong, it just means they are nye impossible to implement in a place run the way the Forest is.
Anyways, i better do a bit of work, your taxes are paying my wages after all. hehe.
It's like God's vagina!

chakan hislop

Postby chakan hislop » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:02 pm

I am also at work, but i do intend to delve into this in a bit of depth as soon as i have a moment... its exactly the comments you made which i would like to explore in the context of the events and promotion issues...

I understand what you are saying, but i have had many conversations with people about some of the issues i will bring up, i don't know why but some people are a little timid in coming forward about this type of thing, within a "lets solve it" context. But due to my personality e.g. i can take a few hits without falling down, i may as well as discuss them and see what people think, as i am sure as i have as much to learn about how people feel about these issues as anyone else... But the discussion does need to be had, for my own insight as well as anyone else who may have an interest in exploring promotions and events diaspora.. as well as possibly how values play out in the context of artistic objectives...

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:26 pm

be careful with that business talk though...I find it a bit ridiculous to be honest.
Say what you want in your own voice not the way that business people speak...business people need to lightn up, and when I hear them talk their talk, i just wanna tell them to cut the crap. This isn't an insult but if we want to get a good conversation going which is accessable to lots of people, then I think people would appreciate a more open and formal discussion.

...or maybe I just don't understand what you're saying coz I is fick :D
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Postby ravanwin » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:07 pm

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:49 pm

chakan hislop

Postby chakan hislop » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 pm

chakan hislop

Postby chakan hislop » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 pm

chakan hislop

on the same note

Postby chakan hislop » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 pm

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:51 pm

It's like God's vagina!

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:57 pm

It's like God's vagina!

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:11 am

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 am

It's like God's vagina!

Shannon

Postby Shannon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:37 am

chakan hislop

Postby chakan hislop » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 am

beev

Postby beev » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:19 pm

you mean we're not bored to death already?

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:22 pm

:lol:
It's like God's vagina!

chakan hislop

Postby chakan hislop » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:38 pm

Ho ho ho...

Ok I will try to liven it up a little if you like.... as soon as i have more serious events matters out of the way...

lol

8)

chakan hislop

www.iam-digital.com

Postby chakan hislop » Tue May 20, 2008 11:45 pm

Ok I thought people might be interested to the extension of my Forest Movements and Motives night... which is called I AM Digital...

Basically this is the result of many things i have done at the forest and have since done when i am not there as much...

In any case I will platforming 2 of the Forest's Favourites Asazi Space Funk Explosion and Zorras as well as other content from around Europe as well as Scotland and England... It would be nice to see some the more creative folk down here... see below for details:

TITLE OF EVENT: I AM DIGITAL - The Voodoo Session

TYPE OF EVENT: CLUB / ARTS Event

DATE: Saturday 31st May 2008
TIME: 9pm-1am
Venue: The Voodoo Rooms, 19a West Register St, Edinburgh, EH2 2AA http://www.thevoodoorooms.co.uk
Event Website: http://www.iam-digital.com
Enquiries TEL: 01316677363 or 07877835295
Email: chakan@iam-digital.com

After the successful event in February 08 I AM presents a night of international exposition, collaboration, and performance produced with emerging and established artists from Scotland, South Africa, England, Germany, Canada, Venezuela, Cuba, Belgium, France & Spain, the collaborations of which were in many cases instigated in Scotland. The "innovative" program of digital art, dance performance and live music aims to promote discovery, discussion and relaxation with like-minded people in an informal environment.

The night encompasses the work of emerging and established artists and bands, providing an innovative platform for exposition, performance and audience interaction (because in fact people are art). I AM develops with the participants (the audience and artists alike) an atmosphere of collaborative creativity, and the opportunity to enjoy good music and dance.

Program:

MUSIC & DANCE SHORTS 9pm-9.40pm
"This is not a body" Retina Dance. (Belgium)
"Trench" Sabine Klaus. (Germany)

DANCE PERFORMANCE & DIALOUGUE 9.40pm –10.05 pm
Rites" (an extract) - Anthony Missen & Kevin Turner.

MUSIC, TIME BASED MEDIA & ANIMATION 10.10-10.25pm* -
"Human Cosmic"- Monica Fernandez (Spain)
"This is not a body" Brian Hartley (Scotland)
"2008" Damien Cupyers (France)
"Hit me Baby" Rachel Maclean (Scotland)

LIVE BANDS 10.30pm-Midnight
Zorras - Poetry Fusion (Canada and Venezuela)
Yudnara J + Lilly - singer/percussionist/composer (Venezuela)
Asazi Space Funk Explosion - Afro-Celt dance floor tribal rhythms – (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England)

DJ Midnight – 1am
DJ Ricky Ried (Hanover99 & DigitalNYE)

You can find attached to this post a photographic preview of the event, examples of the print promotional. View http://www.iam-digital.com/events.php, where you will also be able to link to extensive artists profiles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chakan hislop

preview images and images from the last event

Postby chakan hislop » Wed May 21, 2008 11:08 am

...Image

chakan hislop

whats next!

Postby chakan hislop » Thu May 29, 2008 12:23 am

Hi this is a final reminder for the I AM digital night, this Saturday.. Please see event details at the bottom of this email, but in the meantime check out the latest news, apologies for the long email but its been a very busy month and nearly everything in this mail is relevant to you or people you know, so feel free to forward this email on!!!!

We plan on holding IAM Monthly same scale events from July and 2 larger events during September/October with another planned for London at around this time. We are currently making a call out for highly impactful time based media artists, short film, animation, contemporary dancers, Live bands whether organizations or individuals to get involved in the program, so if you know anyone who has the talent (not necessarily from Edinburgh or the UK) and relevant material to platform, please come down to the event and give me feedback on the format and how you or they might be able to get involved. V.important!!!!

As part of our outreach campaign we have begun to set up a network of 100+ Edinburgh based independent leaning fashion shops, edgy art galleries/exhibitions, hang out joints like coffee shops, and licensed venues that have a distinctly creative environment and either support artists or are heavily frequented by creative types. You may have already seen some of the evidence of this network from the extended promotion of the IAM event in the outlets. This network of outlets (and others like them) will be placed online and be supported with creative content that enhances the online impact of the outlet network as well as defines what the online guide is all about “artistic content which challenges the use of space” not only during events but now also in outlets of many kinds and through an online guide that is accessible to visitors and other interested parties.. Supporting the outlets that support creativity… This will help us to create the type of network which will support the nature of the creative endeavors we are currently involved in and have planned, as well as make it easier for people who live in Edinburgh or are visiting to find, visit, shop or just hang out with like minded people in great environments which in some cases may have a commercial leaning, but not the type that negatively impacts on the creative landscape. Several outlets have already expressed an interest to show artists work in their establishments, live, static and moveable and this should only help to extend the reach and opportunity of the collaborative format we have begun developing at the event.

As mentioned the guide will be placed only online and we intend to work with as many print publications as are interested to expand the opportunity for everyone involved, as well as present Edinburgh to the outside world to be as “cool” and collaborative as possible, and to this end have already begun developing the promotion of the format, the content and contributors outside of all borders. If you are interested, or know anyone interested in getting involved, writers, photographers, illustrators, artists, fashionistas and outlets owners please come down to the event to have a chat with me e.g. find a way to introduce yourself and / or send me an email. Honestly I am a nice guy who has lots of time for talented people who know what they are talking about. I will of course be very interested to get the right types of people involved within a relatively short timeframe.

On another note we have been asked by good friends in Barcelona to look out for band management, bands, and promoters to get involved in a huge online collaboration which will lead to placing multimedia assets online (as well as doing events) to support music downloads on platforms like Itunes, Napstar, and Nokia (as well as another 180+ other download portals.) More news about this collaboration with Lacupula music will be available soon and on request.

Ok below you will see information about the event, and there will also a be a select after party immediately afterwards, and on the Sunday a beach party with several other groups… More information on the night

The Weekend Program

The EVENT: I AM DIGITAL - The Voodoo Session

DATE: Saturday 31st May 2008
TIME: 9pm-1am
Venue: The Voodoo Rooms, 19a West Register St, Edinburgh, EH2 2AA
Event Website:
Enquiries TEL: 07877835295
Email: [url]chakan@colabinternational.com[/url]

However for extensive details and timings please visit , where you will also be able to link to extensive artists profiles.

If you need any more information about anything at all please contact me on my mobile or sms me....

Return to “Events”