Fringey Stuff

katymac

Re: Fringey Stuff

Post by katymac » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Arren wrote:Rachel's (quite amazing) poet friend hosts a slam in Glasgow which twice has only invited female performers but not mentioned anything on the billing. I like this idea a lot for loads of reasons, main one being it says 'this is not a big deal' about a gender situation people won't come across often. What do people think?

I am also well up for commiting to zero all-male bills organised by us for the whole month. So far this looks likely whether we commit to it or not, which doesn't surprise me as the only all-male bills I've seen at Forest in the last year have been wholly outside jobs.
I like this too, and the wider commitment for August (to be clear though: when I said male-only bills are commonplace, I didn't mean in Forest).

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm

Ok I'll put the word out

In the meantime let's start talking about publicity. No point on putting all this stuff on if no one knows about it.

We need

Posters, flyers and a programme.
Graphics designer. Needs finding and briefing before end of next week
Budget.
Someone who can work social media (not just FB invites but the whole twitter, sound cloud, Instagram)

In fact if we get the programme together PDQ, we can we have a wee launch party for the programme.

I can help with the graphics designer, I'll contact Marcin. If the events team could put the shout out for a social media guru.

end of message

C

Arren

Post by Arren » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 am

Stevie's on it with the poster/flier. I'm on the Facebook stuff. Could do with someone to do some Soundcloud and Twitter stuff.

A launch party for the schedule is an interesting idea. What kind of thing?

Any other publicity ideas from anyone? Shall we do a press release? Never got us anywhere before but we could try.

X

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:27 pm

So...

Culure Laser is a go - 6th Aug 7-10, basement. Naughty Boys also want a slot..waiting to hear
Eclectic Mud are good for sat 23rd between 9-3 am (anything happening there)
Mad Caravan are game still to get a date
Caro Bridges and Lake Montgomery say yes - awaiting date

Stevie what's the word on promo stuff and do we have a working title for all this eg Forest sa Summer Of Love etc.

Hey there you go have a Summer of Love party to launch the programme.

C

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Is this the list of confirmed events? If so add:

Hard Rock Monday 11 August, 12 noon until close: 11 kinds of nachos, hard rock DJs and live bands. Dead White Males have confirmed.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:55 pm

Swithun

We're keeping all the events on a google calendar. I can confirm that you are booked in

C

Arren

Post by Arren » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:52 pm

A name for the month would be great. How about 'The Mullet Festival' to be opposite of Fringe? Or something else hairy? We like hairy pits, too...

Culture Laser win! Nice one.

Mighty Oak soundsystem wanna do a club night. We should give them the late bit of a party, maybe opening party? Would kick off with a bang.

We're back to a clash with Ross Neilsen's event. If DWM are playing Hard Rock Monday we'll need to move the band night with Ross's crew. I think we should put him on 10th, the only other date he asked about. I can't think of any other courteous option and the event sounds quite interesting.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:02 pm

Folks

I haven't heard much about promoting all this lovely stuff and if we're going to get people to perform at the Forest the least we can do is make sure they get a good crowd. Otherwise there's no point in putting all this stuff on.

What's happening?

C

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Yeah we need to start. We also need to meet up. Can't publicise before we have a name. Well, I could do a Facebook schedule-type event to start us off tthen edit it when we've all met up. Yeah I'll do that tomorrow. As for poster we need word from Stevie.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:59 am

do we need a name for the whole as there are multiple nights?

FOREST! AUGUST

could be enough?

can we avoid mention of fringe related puns? if we do can we call it nostril hair? or hairy arse crack or ????

do we need a launch night? the idea does nothing for my levels of excitement. Can we not just have party nights and hope people come? I seem to remember the bubble wrap party being busy, not sure why though as we did minimal advertising.

Poster will be around next week, will keep it simple, list of acts, some dates for the weekend shows. Maybe martin could do some image or so. We should also do a programme for the cafe with all things listed. This same file can go on website, facebook etc fuck guys even twiter the shit out of it.

I do think though that the level of flyers in edinburgh during august is so that it seems like pissing in the space station, you never quite get it in the right place without complicated science on your side.

I had envisaged having a trike and a trailer with a horn from an articulated lorry attached and cycling angrily through town honking at people and then giving them a programme when the moved out the way.

Well hope by the time I come home from my travels we have a honking great forest cock machine to promote this wonderful month of events. The promotion could even be more fun than the events!

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Let Love Rule will also be playing at HRM on the 11th. Just sayin'.

RachelMcCrum

Post by RachelMcCrum » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:08 pm

I have just found this thread. I was looking in the wrong place.

Where is the Google calender, please, my dears? Can someone post a link?

I'm planning on keeping my head on the kitchen (and booze) side of things this August, to keep it running, but I'd like to see how things are shaping up. I can bottomline making sure we have rota covered for EMs/NMs/vollies, etc, if that would help.

Iain, completely agree that we need to get some fantastic publicity out, but it feels like the programme hasn't been confirmed yet - that this could wait until we know exactly who is where? We should set some deadlines for this though.

i.e.
a teaser campaign (Forest is coming all over the month etc) launched on Monday 14th July
printd programme released on Monday 21st July
FB/social media starts Mon 28th July

I found some of the old flyers from Aug 2011, have shown them to Arren. Martin had designed a great A5 card flyer, with the big events on it, and Forest address - minimal, cool, classy as fuck. Stephen - this is what you're talking about designing?

Then there was a weekly/fortnightly flyer on A5 paper. This could be a great thing for a newer vollie/member of events team to get involved in. Arren mentioned Suky. Possibly 4 doublesided flyers (one for each week) - when you put all 4 together, makes up a image - something like that.

I'll get the draft kitchen rota printed tomorrow and start working to fill that in.

WHOOP! AUGUST! FUCK!

xx
'I will meet you at Up-To-No-Good.'

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 pm

OK

Update

Ryan may want to do culture laser earlier at 6 on 6th Aug. I explained that he may have probs with noise from Technics 2 upstairs (he's recording it) will check noise levels when they next play.

'female singer/songwriter' (I'll let you folks come up with a name) looks as though everyone bar Hailey (needs to check whether she'll clash with a performance) is good for 7th Aug 8-11 pm. I see watch thieves are very provisionally booked. What do you folks want to do?

Eclectic Mud seem about certain for 23rd. What else is happening on that evening

Cheers

C

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Update. Hailey is definitely in

That makes

Hailey
caro bridges
faith
Lake Montgomery
Sharon McBrearty

It's a good line up and I'd suggest offering the watch thieves another slot as it's going to be hard to get these folks down to a date again.

C

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Agree with Stephen re flyers. I like the noisy trike 'n trailer idea.
'FOREST! AUGUST!' works for me. Or 'Fuck the Fringe and come to Forest' ?

Arren

Post by Arren » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:27 pm

This is quite awkward as they've shuffled a few dates with this coming closest to confirmed. I could encourage them towards another date but I did tell them "I have booked 7th provisionally so it doesn't get snapped up before we can confirm".

They are 3 female 1 male. Would it be too disappointing a departure from the plan to have them finish the night off? Obviously Sharon fronts them anyway. Plus I think Caro has guys in her band.

Tricky one any opinions would be helpful.

Mister C

Post by Mister C » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Have them both?

Up to you folks I would just say it's not easy getting so much talent in one room at one time

Grant McNeil

Post by Grant McNeil » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:23 pm

I have received an e-mail from The Irresistible Urges asking about playing in August. They were in the cafe the other week and seemed nice. They play around Edinburgh quite a bit, I don't know their music but just had a listen here

https://soundcloud.com/theirresistibleu ... ible-urges

Quite mellow but danceable. Could fit nearer the start of a bill mixed in with solo acts if we wanted to build things up rather doing the usual acoustic solo then bands?

They have said they are only definitely free on Sat 16th and 23rd which is the Birthday party and the happening though they may have other dates free.

xx

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:28 pm

I would say no the irrisistable urges for either of those nights.

Lake is up for birthday night by the way.

RachelMcCrum

Post by RachelMcCrum » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:57 pm

'ello.

Just having a chat with Ryan re Culture Laser & also a Naughty Boys gig?

Where is the Google Calender?

And what date (in July) is everything getting nailed down by and flyers designed/printed?

:)

xx
'I will meet you at Up-To-No-Good.'

Arren

Post by Arren » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:32 pm

I added you to the google calendar, did it not come through?

Everything's pretty much nailed down already, with some exceptions that're moving more slowly. We're in a position to print fliers as soon as they're designed.

Not sure of Stevie's timescale for the month-long one. Suky is going to have the weekly ones by 20th.

Culture laser was in for 6th but I gather may be moving.

We'll get you on the calendar at FAT but meanwhile,

Monday 4th, 18th, 25th
Tuesday 19th, 26th
Sunday 24th

Are all free.