Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: VA 27/03/08
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm
Posts: 817
Present: MartinM, Stephen, Mike, Megan, Simone, Fay, Nix, Peter. Apologies: Emily


-Overview for new folk
discussed the general remit of VA working group, gallery etc.

-Budget

what is it for?
Blurred line between grants applications and extra money from VA group. Artists who are exhibiting should apply to TK in the first instance.

-Clarification needed on how the budget for front of house is to be used after the WG restructuring at the big meeting.
A0 show printing costs to come from FOH budget? Materials for murals?

Action Point Martin to begin thread to discuss issue.

Promotion

Should TK have a presence on Art Review? No opposition, site not evil yet.
Action Point Mike to create and run site, make the login known to VA WG and post link on bb to the profile.

Getting TK promoted further a field and listed in stuff.
Distributing posters is good but especially at festival time they become invisible amongst the mass of other stuff.
different, innovative methods of distribution?
Or perhaps taking a different tone with promotion?

Martin is making some new posters that contain no information relating to current shows to suggest that there is always something good on.-this is received well but we should try to strike a balance between cool mystique and providing info.

Maybe making posters that list the events over a period is too labour intensive and not effective enough because names and short paragraphs probably do not grab people that much. Could be interesting to not provide info e.g. “paintings by an artist”- perhaps artists would feel we weren’t promoting them well enough.

can the posters include the forest logo without interfering with martin's finely tuned aesthetic sensibility? Perhaps.

Action Point Stephen to contact List and Skinny to get definitive answers regarding when to submit listings and what format.

Action Point Stephen to set up periodical poster runs to distribute promotional materials.

Action Point Nix to paint promotional TK graffiti on Bristo Graffiti wall.

Action Point Stephen to get somebody set up as mod to get a sticky thread going for promo info.

Action Point Stephen to write text inviting submissions so mike can put it on opportunities bulletin.


-Front Of House


Uncertainty as to which issues concern VA and which concern café and events.
Lots of effort put in to make the red room and general appearance of the forest look good- has worked well.

Wires for posters in windows- no opposition to removing and using nix’s poster spots and leaflet rack (no promotional materials for club nights etc.)
Main café- three pillars to be decorated with paisley fabric- approved.

We then considered some submissions for wall murals-
We agree on Yana for stairs to toilets, Amelie for stairs to hall (providing proposal meets with health and safety protocol.)
Point of contact- Nix

Gallery renovation

We agree to keep the gallery as it is for the time being.
Action Point- Stephen and megan to empty and clean gallery cupboards, Saturday at noon.


Festival Program


Proposal- book out two weeks ( maybe WTCDTD and the Vacuum Cleaner) and book out two weeks for the WG to do stuff
People not sure of available time to do something good, collaboration is good in theory but in practice good end up being shit.

Alternative- considered and well coordinated group show of small pieces-
Groups shows do not worjk well in the space according to previous attempts.

Or- video wall and projector to show films in the space for the duration.

Action Point
- all to think on it and submit ideas for consideration on the bb thread.

Other Business

Guy Smallman wants some more funds for travel but didn’t specify this at the application stage, he did ask nicely though. After consideration we decide not to give him the money.

Action Point
- Stephen to write email explaining the situation and forward to james.

Walking project needs to be confirmed, they want more money but how much?

Action Point
- Martin to speak to Ayla about it, post results on bb.

We then considered gallery submissions- some really promising stuff.

Point of contact info:

Martin: Kenneth
Megan: Vivian Opiolka (to get confirmation on how space is to be used.)
Stephen: Robyn Kidd
Simone: Nikolaos Mantios


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:43 pm
Posts: 608
my eternal apologies. one day, i will return. i will be happy to peg flyers to peoples as an alt flyering technique.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 1373
Quote:
Blurred line between grants applications and extra money from VA group. Artists who are exhibiting should apply to TK in the first instance.


I think exhibitions also getting money from the monthly grants is a no-no....

_________________
the more you think, the more you stink


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm
Posts: 817
i think we agreed that if an artist was exhibiting they should apply through the VA group for funding from the VA budget rather than apply for a grant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:15 pm
Posts: 1180
Location: Edinburgh
guy is emailing me .. send the full response stephen!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm
Posts: 817
pm'ed


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group