Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:45 pm

Post your points for the agenda please.

Monthly grant: we've had two applications so far, Orange Slice Records and The Homecoming String Band.

New grants person: I would like to not do the grants role any more, I will not have time and would like to reduce my forest involvement right down to maybe the odd day shift in the kitchen on the weekend for at least the next few months. Someone suitably experienced please take it over from me. Preferably someone from the forest working group, since the role has come to encompass bottom-lining the Behind The Scenes Working Group. It's a simple job and not much work, application emails sent to grants@theforest will be forwarded to you, you respond to let the person know their application has been received and when they can expect to hear back, you post the application in full to the Projects & Grants forum for discussion (stripping any contact details or other private info first), you post a notification like this one about a week before each Behind The Scenes Working Group meeting, you show up at the Behind The Scenes Working Group meetings and facilitate the deciding of grants (you should have read all the grants, cause likely no one else will have), you email all the applicants to let them know the decision, you get the necessary details from the winners and make sure someone who can write cheques from the forest writes and posts them their cheque, you help them with anything else they might need (typically they will receive a grant for something they want to do at the forest and then will need hand-holding through the maze that is our organisation). And then it begins again.

Any other points?
Last edited by milk on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed subject date
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
Lynne
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Monday 18th August, 8.30pm.

Postby Lynne » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:22 am

Should the administrators do this?

It was on our job description...and we're up for it...

Please let us know your thoughts!

Cheers
0 x

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Monday 18th August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:41 am

Oops, this should be Thursday 21st August, not Monday.

I don't think it is in your job description, I don't think this comes under "Answering emails/enquiries/phone calls" and it is not "Applying for grants" (this is grants we give, not grants we take), nor is it just "attending working group meetings." But yes, I think you could do it if you want to. I would say that if a suitable volunteer speaks up and says they would like to do it then we should give it to them, give them the experience, get another person more involved. But if no one does then by all means the admins can take it on if they want to.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
Lynne
Posts: 1343
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Monday 18th August, 8.30pm.

Postby Lynne » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:22 pm

No problemo!

I got the wrong end of the stick - the grants that are mentioned on our job description are not the ones you are talking about - sorry!

Lynne
0 x

User avatar
stephengoodall
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Monday 18th August, 8.30pm.

Postby stephengoodall » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:51 pm

I can do the grants email for a while.

I did the gallery email for ages and imagine it will be roughly similar.

Bottomlining the meeting, I'm not sure about- i can definitely attend each meeting but not sure to what extent "bottomlining" also includes facilitation/minutes.
0 x
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

User avatar
Martin
Posts: 1084
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Monday 18th August, 8.30pm.

Postby Martin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:15 pm

It doesn't require that - you just need to go to the meetings. The idea of the "bottom liners" is to be a reliable link between the FWG and other working groups.
0 x

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Monday 18th August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:20 pm

"Bottom-lining" just means making sure the meeting happens and attending it, as far as I know. It was something we came up with at a forest working group meeting a while back, the each working group should have a bottom-liner or two who are also on the fwg. Since the grants person pretty much has to attend these meetings anyway I think it makes sense to roll the two together. I don't think it means you need to be the one facilitating and minuting, but to be honest that did end up being me a lot of the time. I think it'd be great if you did it, Stephen.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
stephengoodall
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby stephengoodall » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:09 pm

ok cool well i will come along to the meeting on the 21st and we can discuss switchover...
0 x
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

User avatar
Gaz
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby Gaz » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Ahoy-hoy!

Please discuss the time for this working group's meetings. It was put at 8.30 for my benefit, of which I'm grateful, but I think it can now be re-arranged to a more suitable time, eg. 7pm, so the admin people and others would be more likely to be able to make it. Up to you guys, and I will come along when I can. The day is also changeable if people have a strong preference.

I will pm Calum about this meeting.
0 x
the more you think, the more you stink

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:12 pm

At the least lets make it 8 like it used to be, and like the website still says. I'm fine with 7 also if people want that.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Okay, so no one has said 7, so the meeting will be at 8 tonight. Since my first post in this thread Orange Slice have withdrawn their application, and we've had two applications, from FOUND magazine and Billy Liar:

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5136

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5104

Although it looks like Billy doesn't want to be considered until September, I've emailed him to confirm this.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
ravanwin
Posts: 4982
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby ravanwin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm

too burned out from too many late nights to come to this meeting. we should really suspend meetings till september but..
0 x

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Correction, Orange Slice do not withdraw their application.

No problem, Ryan.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
chris
Posts: 2638
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:50 am
Location: heartland
Contact:

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chris » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:45 pm

unfortunetly i cannot come to the meeting this evening.

i hope it is good.
0 x
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:56 pm

Billy Liar is gonna wait until September. Which is a relief cause we already have a really hard choice to make this month. I hope some people can come to this meeting cause I don't wanna have to make this impossible decision myself.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
Gaz
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:24 am

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby Gaz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:55 pm

thinking about it...

the froest grants admin could be done by the admin person.

it would mean cheques could be paid a bit quicker once a decision is made.

unless someone else, like stephen, is verey keen to do it...

cheers

enjoy the meeting. i send apologies....
0 x
the more you think, the more you stink

User avatar
milk
Posts: 1798
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Contact:

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby milk » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:22 pm

would love to come but can't, apologies.
0 x
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 am

Monthly grant

Homecoming String Band -- these guys wanted £50 to pay for their website
hosting. There didn't seem to be much enthusiasm for this on the forum, and the
grant is for £100 any way. We will say no, but we will suggest to them where
they can get web hosting for less than £50 per year.

Orange Slice -- much enthusiasm for this on the forum, but some strong
detractors also. Initially this looked like quite a strong application cause
Orange Slice was already a defined, up and running project, so we would know
the money was going to something. But Orange Slice has since closed, and is in
the process of trying to be reborn with a different model, so now it is not so
clear. We say no, _but_ we would like them to apply again in the future, when
things have moved on a bit more and they know better what they are going to be
doing.

Found Magazine -- we give them £100.

Billy Liar -- we already agreed with him to hold off his application until
September, but we think that the forest may want to spend some of its own money
to get a badge maker and that maybe he can use that, then he would not need a
grant.

Action: James to talk to the Artist Facilities working group and to
Billy Liar about the badge maker before next month's meeting.

New grants person Stephen is going to be the new grants person. Beev has
already changed over the email forward. Sean will mail him some instructions so
he know what he's doing.

Privacy of the grants forum arguments were heard both ways, I will not
attempt to rehash them as it has more or less all been said on the forum
already. But suffice to say that we felt is was _not_ a good thing to have our
grants discussions on the Internet open for everyone to see and search engines
to index, while at the same time we felt it would not be good to close the
discussions off to the forest working group only. Beev suggests we create a new
permissions group on the bb for people who can see the grants forum, initially
this will be everyone who can see the forest working group forum plus anyone
who has recently been contributing on the grants forum, in the future more
non-forest working group people can be added to it if they take an interest.
Also we say that the grants meetings, where the final decisions are actually
made, are open meetings, and that few people contribute to the grants forum who
do not already have access to the forest working group (although there are a
couple of exceptions).

Action: Beev to setup these new permissions.

Dai says that he is not happy with the way grants are decided currently, by
the people who attend the meetings only. Perhaps they could be decided on the
bb. It is difficult to reach a clear consensus on the bb. Perhaps a poll then.
We have been trying recently, at the meetings, to read out the bb comments and
give them consideration, perhaps just remembering to do that will be enough. We
come to no conclusions so things will stay as they are for now.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
chris
Posts: 2638
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:50 am
Location: heartland
Contact:

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chris » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:50 am

grants need not be consensus... bring back a complex voting system
0 x
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 am

By the way, one thing we said was that I might recommend the quarterly grant coming up next month to Orange Slice, but I had a read of the quarterly grant page to remember what sort of thing the grant was intended for and it sounds like they don't qualify:

1. The project must take place within the forest itself.
2. It must have a longer term element - for example over a long weekend, a
week, two weeks etc. It is not available for one-off performances for
example, no matter how good you might be.
3. The project must be creative and/or artistic in nature.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:00 am

I don't understand whether you are being sarcastic or what Chris, but the thing is, I think consensus often works better than a vote or poll even for an atomic decision like the grants. This month it went smooth, we considered the application, and came to a decision together, with good reasons for it all that we all agreed on. At least, all of us who were at the meeting. A vote would give you a winner but it seems to me that it'd be more divisive and opaque than a successful consensus decision, and doesn't have that effect of bringing everyone (everyone who as at the meeting at least) together under a joint decision. Perhaps consensus does work well for the grants, I think.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
chris
Posts: 2638
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:50 am
Location: heartland
Contact:

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chris » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:02 am

with votes, people who cannot attend the meeting can have a say in the decision, otherwise they are excluded.
0 x
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

User avatar
swithun
Posts: 2636
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:24 am

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby swithun » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:14 am

STV phpBB mod FTW!

But perhaps the job of the BB is to disembowel the chicken, and then the people at the meeting get to decide what the entrails say.
0 x

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:24 pm

I disagree, in the meeting we can start off the discussion by reading out what was said on the bb. Comments on the bb aren't excluded at all. Of course someone has to remember to do this and then do it, but we've been managing that alright the last couple of months I think. Also, although opinions can be expressed on the bb and even, potentially, people can read other people's opinions and take them into account before posting their own, as a medium it doesn't approach face-to-face in this regard, it is much more tempting to just say what you think and be done with it. I think it's often important to follow up bb discussions with face-to-face before coming to an important decision.

I just feel that voting is about everyone just slapping down their potentially ignorant opinion in a poll, there's no encouragement to listen to all the arguments and try to come to a joint, informed decision, it's the tyranny of the masses, the BBC Have Your Say of decision making processes.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

User avatar
milk
Posts: 1798
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Contact:

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby milk » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:39 pm

what was the consensus on my idea of actively inviting the grant applicant to come discuss their proposal on the bb?
0 x
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

chombee
Posts: 1327
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Re: Behind the Scenes Meeting, Thursday 21st August, 8.30pm.

Postby chombee » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:51 pm

I think we decided against that, we decided to make the forum private partially so we could feel free to speak our minds without censoring ourselves for fear of offending the applicant.
0 x
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!


Return to “Minutes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron