Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:01 pm
Posts: 1460
Location: Edinburgh
Café and Events WG Meeting Wed 4th Feb 2009

Previous Acion points

- Sound issues – AP Nix is responsible for all Sound related stuff. See later for more info!
- New Menu stuff – It’s scrapped, it’s been too long, not enough weight behind it to make it happen. The NEW KITCHEN MANAGERS are doing a NEW NEW MENU – twice the freshness. Alex has now been removed from the premises.
- Kareoke night went very well. Mentioned that it was left in a complete tip. AP Emi to bring it up at next EVS meeting to see why
- Emi went to get flowers but missed the fact it was an Action point and decided on somehing else. She is now certain and confident, and will go gt them. Matias wants to know why we want Cacti in Scotland. Alex points out they were originally from Scotland and we’re bringing them back for the Scottish homecoming
Alex picked out some nice candle bottles, but they promptly dissappeared.
- Night Checklist needs reviewed. AP Alex to look over it.
- People found beds to stay in.

Agenda
-Soap
-Laundry
-Coffee update
-Mate
-Forest Equipment and Stage
-Repeat events
-Acoustic daytime
-Jukebox
-menu
-Kitchen layout/redo
-Volunteers
-New Kitchen managers!


Symposium
Soap
– Soap for the hands comes and goes. Sometimes there is none in the bathroom. It keeps getting replaced, it keeps going missing. AP Alex and Pomme to bring in empty bottles,then AP Nix to make dispenser holders, impenetrable, then nail them to the wall
We also need a new handrier. AP Graeme to speak to Lynne to get prices, as this ties in with H&S compliance we quite need it

Laundry – Don’t put clean stuff or wet stuff in the dirty laundry, or Pomme will kill you. When redoing the kitchen Matias will keep in mind the necessity of a good laundry storage system. Applause and whooping for Pomme who regularly does the kitchen laundry. Saviour.

Coffee Update – We have been getting Equal Exchange coffee instead of Zapatista. There are problems with currency conversiotn – we get our stuff from Germany – and it’s difficult to get stuff straight from South America. AP Nix to speak to jamie from (somewhere, I missed the name) to buy some Zap! And look into getting beans we could get roasted at Artisan.

Mate – nix and matias are passionate about capitalising on the current popularity of mate. They have Gooooouurds for the kitchens, nice ones from Argentina. For a price, customers can get a Gooourd of Mate and unlimited free boiling water. £3 deposit for Gooourd. They will make a good separate laminate full of facts about Mate and instructions how to make it. This is good, the guys know what they’re doing.

Forest Equipment and Sound – From now on, only people who are on the Forest Sound Team are able to touch the sound desk. Anyone can join and there will be regular training opportunities. There will be a Sound Team Rota, emergency phone number. This means equipment will be safe and not die.

Repeat Events – Forest has a no repeat events policy, which is where you can have a night a month unless expressed permission from the Café and Events group (or someone?) There’s a weekly Jam which a lot of people were finding problems with, apparently they managed to clear the café of customers one time not too long ago. AP Alex to speak to Ida and Taskin to keep an eye out for repeat events and call people to inform them they can’t play if they’ve had more thank one night a month. Also, someone said they will talk to the 5-piece Jam people, but I can’t remember who.

Acoustic Daytime – The café can be far too loud during the daytime when people should be allowed to use the café space as an enjoyable café. Alex suggests to have no electrically powered stuff before 7pm, unless it’s part of a larger event during the day/afternoon/early evening. Nix says as there will be Sound Team memebers working the desks, they will be able to keep an eye on keeping it under a certain level of noise. AP Nix to ask DorkBot to make a Deccibelleometer to keep an eye on the noise level, and impliment Sound Team side

Jukebox – Been going on way too long. AP Alex to get in touch with Mike to ask him to make CDs out of data Ryan gave him

Menus – For New New Menu see above. Emi says the menus in the café are tatty. AP Emi to print and laminate new ones.

Kitchen layout – Matias has awesome ideas about redoing the kitchen. New Display Fridge decision has to be taken by FWG as it is a large amount of money, decsision referred already. Change sinks to the side of the kitchen so diswashing not in the way, and have one large, long bench along the back. A little handwashing sink just outside of the kitchen. The kitchen is too confusing, too many things. Matias says it needs an oven (Alex mourns the loss of the baked potato machine oven, it was grand.) Focused on using personpower and not money for the general restructuring. AP Matias to get estimates for equipment he needs.
AP matias to get a probe for the kitchen.

Volunteering – Confusion about the volunteering process. Alex and Emi worked on setting up a definite system to ensure all applicants get checked and treated equally. Emi and Taskin are responsible for going through the forms. They will do it after the EVS meeting on a Monday.

New Kitchen Managers – Nat, Yas and Matias are new Kitchen Managers! Go introduce yourself to them, tell them what you do. Good luck to them all.

_________________
Bohnenflaschen!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:16 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Edinburgh!
Sorry I couldn't make this meeting.

lucky wrote:
Mate – nix and matias are passionate about capitalising on the current popularity of mate. They have Gooooouurds for the kitchens, nice ones from Argentina. For a price, customers can get a Gooourd of Mate and unlimited free boiling water. £3 deposit for Gooourd. They will make a good separate laminate full of facts about Mate and instructions how to make it. This is good, the guys know what they’re doing.


WOOP WOOP WOOP!

lucky wrote:
Forest Equipment and Sound – From now on, only people who are on the Forest Sound Team are able to touch the sound desk. Anyone can join and there will be regular training opportunities. There will be a Sound Team Rota, emergency phone number. This means equipment will be safe and not die.


Hooray. Today at the sound team meeting, we set several APs related to this all to be done for next Thursday (12th). We will have a locked sound desk and someone on hand during events to make sure it works!

lucky wrote:
Acoustic Daytime – The café can be far too loud during the daytime when people should be allowed to use the café space as an enjoyable café. Alex suggests to have no electrically powered stuff before 7pm, unless it’s part of a larger event during the day/afternoon/early evening. Nix says as there will be Sound Team memebers working the desks, they will be able to keep an eye on keeping it under a certain level of noise. AP Nix to ask DorkBot to make a Deccibelleometer to keep an eye on the noise level, and impliment Sound Team side


With the sound desk / PA locked up, there can only be acoustic events during the daytime. I fully support having nothing amplified until 7pm.

lucky wrote:
Jukebox – Been going on way too long. AP Alex to get in touch with Mike to ask him to make CDs out of data Ryan gave him


I've spoken to Alex about this and i will have a lot of CDs of copyleft music in the Forest by the end of the DIY festival.


Yeah!

_________________
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Posts: 312
I emailed Lynne about buying a hand dryer and it is a goer.
Can someone (KM, Lynne, Emma) please order one of these? http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/pr ... prod110366
Thank you kindly, G x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Posts: 312
Or even one of these:
http://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/ut ... &x=43&y=10


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:01 pm
Posts: 1460
Location: Edinburgh
I spoke to the Jam people just now.

They understand that sound stuff is changing in general. Concerns of over-noiseyness were discussed as well as structure and setting up properly at the beginning. They were also encouraged to continue the event, as it can be, indeed, quite good.

They've been asked not to run it as a repeat event until someone comes to the Cafe and Events WG meeting to discuss it, as defined in the Events book.

A*

_________________
Bohnenflaschen!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:35 pm
Posts: 1343
Have ordered a new hand-dryer. It's product number 11036 on Graeme's link.

Should be here around the end of next week.

Ken Smillie has agreed to install it.

It's costing us £45.55 in total.

It's also got a two year warranty.

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:52 pm
Posts: 312
Thanks Lynne.
Now all we need in the downstairs toilets is hot water and decent lighting :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group