Computer Tools for Action Room

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
chombee

Computer Tools for Action Room

Post by chombee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:59 pm

I think we need to just shell out and buy a set of all the tools we need for constructing and repairing computers in the action room, and keep the whole set locked away somewhere in the room.

It's too much of a pain in the ass without them. Like today, I came in to try to fix the computer that was crashing, wanted to try replacing the graphics card, but the graphics card is screwed in. Waste 10 minutes scouring the action room for a screwdriver of the right size, another 10 minutes searching the workshop, didn't find one, in the end I couldn't do anything.

My main concern right now is to get a good set of screwdrivers of all the sizes and shapes we might need. I'm not really a tools person. Anyone want to recommend a good deal? Or does the forest have a place we get tools from, or should I just drop into B&Q?

Aside from screwdrivers, what else do we want?
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee

Post by chombee » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:28 pm

Blank CDs (there's already a box here but I think it's safe to say we need more). Pens for writing on blank CDs. Storage for CDs so we don't have to keep burning then again. Cable ties. Labels.

By the way people are already starting to use the action room computer in the way the office computers are used -- i.e. everyone uses the 'forest' user and saves everything on the desktop, makes their own folder and the desktop. If we want to setup or network file storage and user accounts thing we should try to do it before people fill these computers with too many files that they expect to always be there.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:43 pm

good points. get what you reckon we need and store them someplace safe i say.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:13 am

Yes, buy it up.

graeme

Post by graeme » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Try Maplin on Dalry Road, they are really good for a/v and computer stuff.
They have an online catalogue so you can see what they stock before visiting the shop.