Is this the answer to our toilet prayers?

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Susana

Post by Susana » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:27 am

Oolala! Well, the thing is we've done it. Sorry if we rushed too much. I think we felt desperate at the situation and just wanted to see something done. In any case you can change things, by all means. And if you happen not to like the paint on the plant pots or the curtains, for whatever reason, please, please do change them. Talk about it at the group meeting and decide on something else. Now that we've moved things around those two things are dead easy to change. I'll tell you what is freaking difficult though: cleaning the windows!!! In a few months please one of you do the honors and prove your worth! :wink: :wink: We have the equipment, no excuse....

By the end of the working session someone said that the gold pots and the burgundy curtains make the place look like a boudoir! I went home laughing my head off at the thought of turning the place from a dump into a brothel, with the person sitting by the window being the one on offer that day and with their services happening just behind the curtain. So convenient. Aaaand, if we keep the pretence well enough we might stop the construction of the hotel across the road. Just think about it. :twisted:
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:10 pm

I approve and appreciate the effort involved.
Spent the most part of Friday night flaked out in that chair.
Thank you.
Pep Up The Turmoil

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:50 pm

well done!

bill

Post by bill » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:17 pm

yes it looks superb. also let is continue to major burn ikea and their innovative tedium

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 pm

Front room looks superb. Well done.

bryony

Post by bryony » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:42 pm

good job everyone

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:52 pm

yes well done to all!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:29 pm

I already had a turn shaking my stuff in the front window (I did a second window cleaning Suzanna...had to try out the equipment!).

Sorry to balooooo for rushing ahead. I thought when you said it was a good compromise that you were giving us the go ahead. Sincere apologies for the misunderstanding.

Bill: all sock puppets are dead to me. Did you happen to bring more ethical candles home with you?

milk

Post by milk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:48 am

red room rejiggle++ # tis looking fab

what's the situation re fliers/pamphlets in the front room? are there any plans for the racks in the back of the action room and might one of them be suitable for housing such dead tree media in the red room?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:47 am

The racks we have are too big for the front room. We would be alright with a small one underneath the black bulletin board on the left hand side, but don't want to devote the better part of another wall to fliers. We are going to make a sign that says we do not accept corporate fliers and that others are welcome to put A5 and smaller on the bulletin board. Eventually, one of the flier racks will be in or just outside the action room. This will mainly be for interesting local art/activist/community stuff. I don't see why I should have to continuously recycle stacks of fliers for shitty venues...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:56 am

re: front window:

we need a space for posters and info. we used to devote the bottom bit of the window (maybe 8 posters?) to this. Also, the giant WG poster looks good in that window and people do seem to read it. Upper left was a good place for it and it is on thin paper so the sun still gets through. can we agree to that?
r

baloo

Post by baloo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Bob is bringing us candles...this friday he says.
Everything is fine by me, i just worry alot about plants.
Love you guys.x
up and at it.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:47 am

I'm against any posters in that window. If we're serious about keeping the windows clean (and now we've got the equipment) then we can't have posters there. Cleaning won't get done because they'll need to be taken down each time. And the blue tack and tape are hell scrape off. Also, I think that window looking nice is better advertisement for events than any poster we can stick up there.

Suzanna, Nix and I thought the side window could have posters. I know it isn't as prominent, but I think the trade off is worth it. People should focus getting those posters up outside the building and keep that space looking nice when folks walk by.

I could easily be persuaded to have one 'what Forest does' type poster up, but it would have to be replaced often. The big one in the top left was horrible and manky.

beev

Post by beev » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:37 pm

the sidewalk signboard thing can be an effective tool, if it looks good.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:50 pm

yah the problem with having posters in the window is that when it's cold outside the condensation builds up and the posters get manky horrible fall to pieces. so maybe best to find an alternative solution. if people are really into having some info about forest in the window maybe getting some sticker or something could be better? A la Total Kunst?
D x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:56 pm

I put out the sandwich board for the gallery opening on Friday and I think it looked pretty good. FREE GALLERY OPENING in big letters and an A3 poster from the exhibit. We could have stuff like that on the sandwich board everyday. Sticking posters on it takes less time than doing it up yourself.

milk

Post by milk » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:30 pm

how about a basic pimping-the-forest poster than can be affixed to the sandwich board with blue tack for when there are no specific events on or for when vollies don't have time (or before they have time) to redo the msg?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:39 pm

the poster may not have to be attached to the window , it could be hung via clips . so its not actually touching the window. this may help . vinyl lettering on the window would do the trick but its expensive .the quote i got for redoing the gallery info was about £60 . wf/fw would maybe peel it off .

bill

Post by bill » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:01 pm

i will bring more candles when i return from my humanic wanderings in 2 weeks. more than ever.

many thanks,

x

Susana

Post by Susana » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:28 am

Now, what do you think about the curtains? Are they playing the function they were meant to? In my view, every time I go into the Forest the curtains are pulled to the sides, so just contributing to make a frame but not a proper separation... We could just fix them somehow to the bar (superglue?) or come up with another possible type of curtains. I went back to think about some sort of beads curtain since they rearrange themselves and may do the job. very many things could be used for stringing (corks, old cds...) I made a sample with just cardboard cut into squares and joined with string.. you can see it in the attachment (if it works). The cardboard can be painted previosly in the colour of the room or anything else and then cut into shapes...

These days there is this Argentinian guy around and he would be more than happy to do it. And by the way, he is around cleaning, in exchange for food, and I thought, could we not have someone sort of permanently like him to clean the toilets, wipe tables, tidy up free shop and library, etc...? It could be a fantastic improvement to the Forest at very low cost... Or, at least, could we offer these jobs, on the spot, to some of the guys who are, err... sort of slumbering around, either in exchange for food or even you could think of it as an exchange for being allowed to just seat around for hours... (in my experience, through observation or directly acting with, say, homeless people, giving help for free is often not good). Of course it would have to be done with outmost care not to be abusive or unfair. I don't kow, it's very delicate issue. :roll: :wink:

Gosh, I've just seen in the preview the photograph. It is massive and I don't know how to scale it down !! :shock: You will have to dive into it and search fiercely for the curtain itself... ! If you get lost inside, give me a shout :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:54 am

I took the liberty of scaling down your photo.

A whole curtain like that would look pretty good. I guess the holes would need to be reinforced so that they didn't get ripped in a free shop frenzy.

I think we do ask the slumberers if they want to clean in exchange for food/money depending on the job. They have to be trustworthy though, as it is easier to do a job yourself than always be checking up on a slacker.

Susana

Post by Susana » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Thanks Suizan (in Spanish) for scaling down. Is it easy to do? Could you tell me how, for next time? Thank you.

Yes, certainly, the holes would have to be reinforced. This Argentinian guy, Aldebaran, told me we could do it with these metal rings, that are specific for that (if we want to do something like that curtain, that's it). Actually, in fact, the squares could simply be glued to a running strip of fabric. That could withstand a Harrods sale much better...

I meant to comment also about the lights in the front room. When we were working on the room we pointed at the need to have more lights. Again perhaps we could retake that and give it another push. And again, with Aldebaran around and being an electrician (and a carpenter) we could try to think and do something this week...? His English is very limited but I could be around (no good to have missunderstandings when you are dealing with electricity... :evil: :evil: )

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:12 pm

I saved your big image and used GIMP to scale it down to 600x800 and then uploaded it again. I think almost any graphics program will have a scale function somewhere. Or, if the photo is just for the web, you could maybe change the setting on the camera to take a smaller picture.

More light would be good. It is better than it used to be, but at night, bright lights would give a better impression to passers by.