Student Flats on the meadows - no deal!

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Save the Meadows!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Student Flats on the meadows - no deal!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi, we're new on here, thanks for having us! Hope this post is in the right place. We're looking to get some direct action on the go - here's a short version of our rant about development on the meadows:

Big development company UNITE have been given planning permission to build a massive monstrosity of a building (student flats) right on the Meadows. This means cutting down trees, blocking out sunlight from existing tenement flats (ok, so I have a vested interest as my flat is one of the worst affected!), making the meadows look rubbish and potentially causing a backlash from groups who already believe there are too many students in the area - they're fighting to get the number of HMO properties in the area severely reduced, which could mean people eventually getting kicked out of their flats.

Here's a link to Tollcross community council's page on the subject, which includes the most recent plans for the building and the community council's objections:
http://www.tollcross.org/module-htmlpag ... 7.htm#txol

Here's my blog on the subject at myspace http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =133610472 (I hope that works, I'm assuming that's the public url for my blog?!)

Basically, we're looking for people to get on the case and fight this in as many ways as we can... Artists, environmentalists, activists and people who just like making a lot of noise and causing a stir, we're looking at you! Mail me back if you're up for getting on the case, or email lonsdale184@tiscali.co.uk

Cheers!
"People, not profit!

Community, not corporation!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

('scuse the cliche, our ranty pants are on...)

nix

Postby nix » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:27 pm

It's like God's vagina!

Save the Meadows!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:46 pm

"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

lucky

Postby lucky » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:14 pm

Bohnenflaschen!

mark

Postby mark » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:37 pm

i have always enjoyed that carpark. and yes i think it would be brilliant to extend the carpark across the whole meadows, like they did back in 2003 - glory days. like the day my father took me hawk hunting, but we couldnt find any hawks, and so our catapults were useless, and went unfired. all we could find was an eagles nest and all its eggs, these days i bet you can sell them on ebay and get a pretty penny.

that car park is so beautiful, it pains me that anyone would replace a carpark with homes for people. where will i park?
the pen is mightier than the word

chombee

Postby chombee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Ugh, This is terrible.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Susana

Postby Susana » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:38 am

For the love of all the gods of the Olympus....!! What else?

I would strongly recommend you get in touch with the group trying to stop the Caltongate development, SOOT (Save Our Old Town) They've been campaigning for quite a while and have acquired expertise on this. One of their core members is a town planner, which helps a lot. They even managed to get a grant to have their own space in St Mary's St and to carry out community research.

These are some of their sites:

http://www.eh8.org.uk

http://www.independentrepublicofthecano ... ogspot.com

Good luck.
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Save the Meadows!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:57 am

"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Susana

Postby Susana » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:54 am

Gandhi

Postby Gandhi » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:06 am

It's like God's vagina!

Save the Meadows!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Yeah there's definitely a problem in terms of lack of awareness - the planning dept appear to realise how unpopular they are and seem to try to hide as much information as possible from the public. They've resorted to playground tactics and personal vendettas against neighbours of mine who oppose the student flats. Anyway, I'm really worried about this prospect of Edinburgh losing its World Heritage status - surely that should be something people care about? Info campaign seems very necessary. I'll be in touch with SOOT as soon as I can to see if they can offer any advice/info. Oh and we'll be having an open meeting, 7pm on Monday at the Forest, to discuss what we can do to get ourselves heard... All welcome! x
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Save the Meadows!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Please sign our petition!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethemeadows/

We'd really really appreciate it x
"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Susana

Postby Susana » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Save the Meadows!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:50 pm

"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Save the Meadows!

Postby Save the Meadows! » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:34 pm

"People, not profit!

Trees, not towerblocks!"

Susana

Postby Susana » Fri May 30, 2008 11:48 am

You may be interested in attending tomorrow's EAR (Edinburgh at Risk) day:

""""""
A reminder of tomorrows event as part of The Canongate Project

Saturday 31st May 10-4pm Edinburgh At Risk Day

“Edinburgh is at greater risk than it has been since the 1960`s”
Conservation Architect James Simpson OBE (ICOMOS newsletter Spring 2008)

James will be speaking at 11am on his concerns for the city and it`s World Heritage Status.

Come and find out what’s going on in the city of Edinburgh and its surrounding areas. Have you got concerns about proposed developments, demolitions of buildings, disappearing green spaces and management of Common Good Land and Assets? Don’t know what to do? Come and meet others who have concerns and find what they are doing.

EAR was founded by a number of Edinburgh campaigns in 2007 and is a non-political umbrella organisation open to all who value the city’s communities, culture, history and her future. Campaigns involved so far include Save Our Old Town, Save Meadowbank, Orroco Pier (South Queensferry), Porty Greenkeepers, and Save Glenogle Baths.

Come along to The Canongate Project shop at 8 St Mary’s Street, just off The Royal Mile. Stay for entire day or drop in at whatever time suits you. Films, workshop&/or discussions

Sally

http://www.eh8.org.uk
""""""

amelia

reducing the meaadows

Postby amelia » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:31 am

Jonathan

Postby Jonathan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Return to “The People's Forum”