the cult of scientology

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
annon1

the cult of scientology

Post by annon1 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:38 pm

the cult of Scientology has hurt many thousands possibly millions of people. now there is a beggining. an alternitive. anonymous has arrived. join us find out the truth google lisa mcpherson

google josephus a havenith

google
harison ford hotel

margrit winkelmann

peter e frei

heribert pfaff
Rodger nind
Jeremy perkins
Noah lottick

narriet baker

look on youtube.com anonymous
together we do not forgive together we do not forget we are one we are legion
the church of Scientology has to change its criminal activities

be careful look up the fair game policy
join us on april 12th
in memory of lisa mcpherson

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:26 pm

Moved this malarkey to the People's Forum. If anyone is really that bovvered about what Tom Cruise thinks, then shame on you. There are worse things out there.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:42 pm

Xenu is gonna kick your butt Swithun
the more you think, the more you stink

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:52 pm

No one thinks that scientology is one of the world's great religions, or that it isn't a cult which feeds on the feeble minded and takes their money. But if anonymous et al were capable of delivering a proper butt kicking, they would be setting their self-righteous sights a little higher.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Tom Cruise has a sensual face...thats all that matters.
Did we ever find the cardboard cutout of him?
It's like God's vagina!

milk

Post by milk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:52 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Chanology - info on the worldwide movement

http://edinburghlulz.com/index.php/Main_Page - wiki for the edinburgh events

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=818_1202366574 - the full 40 min tom cruise video that started the whole thing off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCbKv9yiLiQ - anon's first video (more in the external links of the wikipedia article)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY - anon being featured on fox news. fantastic lulz from when two really fucked up worlds (4chan hacktivists vs. right-wing biased security theatre pimpin' US media) collide.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm

hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:04 pm

also, i've had thoughts on the possibility of having a video screening afternoon/evening at some point near the next protest (or the one after that). thoughts?

pro; i well feel it's certainly worthy of raising awareness re how bad the church of scientology treats it's members

con; the CoS's fair game policy. are we worried?[/url]

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:24 pm

i reckon people can do what they want. i have no beef with scientology other than my general objections to all religions real or imagined.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:14 pm

ravanwin wrote:
i have no beef with scientology
Xenu is gonna kick your butt too

Cruise cannot help you now...real or cardboard cut-out.
the more you think, the more you stink

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 pm

I worry that anonymous are not people we would want to support either, and their campaign seems counter-productive, just giving scientology more attention and allowing them to play the religious persecution card. Does scientology really need dealing with in this way? I thought they were doing a pretty good job of discrediting themselves, and also that hero Cruise's undercover mission to infiltrate the scientologists and then make them look ridiculous was going very well. This kind of looks like two not so great groups of people colliding.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Martin

Post by Martin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 pm

This isn't really about Scientology. It's about Anonymous having a laugh.

milk

Post by milk » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 pm

i think that any public awareness anonymous can draw towards the negative aspects of scientology [which are fucking huge (do i really have to go into that?) compared to other 'religions', none of which i have any/much respect for anyway] is good as some people just don't know about any of the controversy surrounding the organisation.
This isn't really about Scientology. It's about Anonymous having a laugh.
can it not be both? well, in fact, it specifically is.

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:27 pm

Okay, scientology is bad yes, I don't have a problem with showing films or whatever at the forest to draw attention to the bad things they do. Also this wouldn't necessarily hace to be Anonymous' stuff.

But maybe you can settle some of my worries about Anonymous. Much of what I've seen from this campaign gives me a slightly bad feeling. A couple of things I read were more specific, for example this:

http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/culture/haters-culture

Apparently, Anonymous (or rather the wider lulz thing it derives from) do cyber attacks for laughs on groups of people who only sometimes happen to be bad people like the scientologists, at other times the attacks are misogynistic, racist, homophobic. Is it true? It might not be, just something I read.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:17 am

It doesn't really make any sense to talk about Anonymous as a single group and make judgements about their actions.

Anonymous is the set of people who post anonymously, for whatever reason. There are a few places where this happens a lot, where particular activities and ideas are popular, where that definition resolves into a more homogenous impression of Anonymous, but continuously these patterns grow and change and shift and move. Anonymous is people.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:43 pm

The annon1 jockstrap first posted this thread in the Business & Admin forum, which is a sure sign of a spammer. They claim to be 'in memory' of someone, yet are obviously just jumping on a bandwagon, hitting out at an easy target, don't have the cojones to be identified and can't be arsed to leave their computer. They are doing a disservice to the people they claim to be acting for. Compare that to the Smash EDO people, who win on every point.

You can have a laugh, if that is the sort of thing you find funny. But I don't think anyone has the moral highground here. I can think of better things that could be held at the Forest.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Did we ever work out why all BB spam winds up in the Business & Admin forum?

James

Post by James » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:11 am

You know me and Tom were talking about this, and he worked out it was only computer people who seem to hate scientology so much. Everyone else just seems mildly annoyed or indifferent to it. We couldn't work out why ...

milk

Post by milk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:13 am

chombee wrote:Apparently, Anonymous (or rather the wider lulz thing it derives from) do cyber attacks for laughs on groups of people who only sometimes happen to be bad people like the scientologists, at other times the attacks are misogynistic, racist, homophobic. Is it true? It might not be, just something I read.
this explains the whole anonymous movement from the start to now.

milk

Post by milk » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:25 am

@swith; i think that's a rather heavy-handed assessment of things. yes, someone used a script to spam the bb (aside; is there any reason a working CAPTCHA system hasn't been instituted on the bb yet?) and yes their copypasta could have been way better written, but you can't use that to argue against the whole movement or the real-life protests.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:16 am

if your stupid enough to believe in Scientology then you deserve to give them all your money and let them control your life. Religion is a funny thing which is why I don't subscribe to it.
I don't feel like you should be showing anti scientology films in the Forest but I also think you shouldn't be giving it any promotion, good or bad at all...

Someone may turn around and say that a lot of people around the globe have been conned by this Jesus figure, and really its just a story written into a book by one dude then replicated and added to by others. Would the forest show anti Christian films...just coz I think its a load of rubbish?

Don't get me wrong, Scientology is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard over, but to some, so is the notion of other religions.

Can't we just ignore it?
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 pm

in terms our events policy:

we've always said we would provide a free space and sometimes this means we've got one group or another mouthing off and espousing their particular beliefs whether it be jesus, gaia, bongos, raw food or polyamory.

I have alwyas felt strongly that we should not be gate keepers in terms of our events policy and we should have room in our space for bloo's church of toast, pig brother, new age Christians and neo-nazis.

Those we don't agree with personally, should be allowed to speak and prove their ignorance. I would welcome pro-Scientology or anti-Scientology events equally.

However, perhaps it is worth re-examining this philosophy as we have, in the past, felt like our space has been taken over by groups whose ideology do not match ours.... thoughts?

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:08 pm

I'm not sure about allowing neo-nazis to run events although if anyone will pick up the Tenerife travel guide that we have in the library and turn to the center page photograph they will get a surprise.

I'm not sure if scientology is quite the same as other religions, I think they're quite active in going out and getting vulnerable people to join them and then fucking them up. Not that I know much about it but probably they are quite bad. I don't think the 'i have no beef, let people believe what they will' point of view really applies, anyway.

I'm not sure about the free speech issue. On the one hand I do see Ryan's point that we should let the neo nazis speak and make idiots of themselves. People should always be allowed to espouse appalling view points, but they should always be challenged. But then, that requires us to be around to challenge and debates with the nazis every time they show yet another nazi 9/11 conspiracy film. It's a lot of effort from us, and we risk being overrun. I think it is perfectly okay for the forest as a community to ban certain people and groups because we feel we don't agree with them.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 pm

i think there is a difference between causes and ideas that one person disagrees with and causes and ideas that the collective or people in general disagree with. I personally would feel very uncomfortable have nazis put on an event, and I'm guessing (and hoping :lol: ) that a lot of you guys would too. Would we really want that kind of thing going on in the Forest, when it brings such horrible people in to the building and such a nasty reflection on the venue from people who don't understand what we are really about...allowing people to express themselves doesn't mean we agree with the views they are expressing...some people might not get that.

I don't think Scientologists are the new Nazis but if the Forest as a collective feels uncomfortable having people coming in and shouting their mouths off about their great new religion, or against it or whatever then I don't think not allowing them to use the venue would trouble me too much.

Maybe we could just turn it into a debate anyway, and have the scientologists and anti scientologists booked in on the same day and sit back and watch the fireworks.haha. I really don't get the big hooha about Scientology though...I'm personally not offended in any way that some people believe in weird alien overlords or whatever the heck it is that they believe.

Believe what you like...when i was really young I believed that the world was black and white, because all the old films and photos were in black and white. I thought that we invented colour duriing the 50's and 60's and had just painted things. A bit like that film Pleasantville. hahaha

Scientology, in my mind, is freakin ridiculous and extremely hilarious, and in fact just a crazy story a writer wrote and took a bit far....sounds a bit like the bible to me! Who knows, in a couple of hundred years it might actually be one of the world's main religions. haha
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:48 pm

- i shouldn't have mentioned nazis. mention of nazis ruin every decent debate. apologies.

- if the forest policy is to change than we should bring it up at a cafe and events meeting.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:30 pm

A side comment: Many critics of the Church of Scientology, including some fraction of Anonymous, have been careful to point out that their issue is not with the religion itself - i.e. people are welcome to believe the story - but the actions of the Church as an organisation, in particular the agressive actions it takes against its critics.