where to get Legal Photographs

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
James

where to get Legal Photographs

Postby James » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:53 pm

So, some people here just take Photographs from any old place online when illustrating stuff. I really don't think we should be doing that - as an artist organisation, we should be doing what we can to support artists - and not stealing their work would be a good start.

So, I'm starting a thread with the idea people can add good sources of images online.

1) We have a number of photographer volies. Me, Ame, Ida, Charlotte, Julia, Martin. Ask us
Any of my images of the forest from http://www.doubtlesshouse.org.uk/other/TheForest/ can be used, for instance.

2) http://www.flickr.com/search/advanced/?q=sdf
advanced search
tick "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content"
look for the icons.
see http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/ for a guide
mostly they just say no commercial use (not a problem for us) and you must credit the photographer (also not a problem)

milk

Postby milk » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:55 pm

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page - one of wikimedia's (the group that owns wikipedia) other projects (also, any photo on wikipedia is fair game).

http://www.everystockphoto.com/index.php - has photos under various licenses.

remember, there are various types of creative commons license. get clued up. non-commercial is ok for us as we're a non-profit, but don't use attribution based images then not attribute, and don't use non-derivative and then start mixing it with other images/text to create a new image that you then use.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) |

swithun
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby swithun » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:19 pm

If artists didn't want people to steal their work, they should be more careful and not leave their stuff lying around on the web.

The only person who ever complained that The Forest was using one of their images was some jockstrap called Johann von Flett (probably a relation of Jane), who thought we shouldn't use a rather obvious mashup from Planet of the Apes that he had 'created'. If Charlton Heston didn't have cold dead hands, I reckon he would have something to say about it all.

CC licenses are good, but I very much doubt that many artists would object to their work having a slightly larger audience. Maybe we can link back to were we nicked stuff from.

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:23 pm

It's rings off a little bit uptight and over worthy world-view of things for me.
Stealing and re-appropriation are intrinsic to art, and wholly valid in their own right, see readymades, the collages of C.I.A. nights and any number of artistic schools.
I'm into exposing the talents of my friends but it's a limited pool from which to pluck from.
You wouldn't really want to score your porrrn from friend's private collextions - would you?
Pep Up The Turmoil

Martin

Postby Martin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:14 am

chris

Postby chris » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 pm

art is theft.

appropriation is art is theft.

without it there is no creativity.

you cannot learn to speak if you do not repeat other peoples words.

you cannot learn to art if you do not copy the jpegs from the internet.

stephengoodall

Postby stephengoodall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

Agreed, its absolutely key to reserve the right to take ownership of and repurpose material that finds itself in one's mindspace.

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:29 am

Pep Up The Turmoil

James

Postby James » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am

chombee

Postby chombee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:48 am

I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee

Postby chombee » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:53 am

I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

dan

Postby dan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:08 pm

The album, 1987 (What the Fuck Is Going On?), was released in June 1987. Included was a song called "The Queen and I" (sample (help·info)), which sampled large portions of the ABBA single "Dancing Queen".[15] The recording came to the attention of ABBA's management and, after a legal showdown with ABBA[16] and the Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society,[17] the 1987 album was forcibly withdrawn from sale. Drummond and Cauty travelled to Sweden in hope of meeting ABBA and coming to some agreement, taking an NME journalist and photographer with them, along with most of the remaining copies of the LP.[18] They failed to meet ABBA, so disposed of the copies by burning most of them in a field and throwing the rest overboard on the North Sea ferry trip home. In a December 1987 interview, Cauty maintained that they "felt that what [they]'d done was artistically justified."[19]

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Postby Jimmy Bastard » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:14 pm

Pep Up The Turmoil

Return to “The People's Forum”