Tiles for free

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Susana

Tiles for free

Post by Susana » Thu May 28, 2009 9:00 am

Someone was offering some tiles on Gumtree. As you have to answer promptly if you don't want to miss them, I asked for them on behalf of the Forest. (I was thinking of the toilets... of course 8) ) In any case I think (hope) they will come useful... for some artistic work... or to make a table-top?

Ciao bambinos
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

neil

Re: Tiles for free

Post by neil » Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 pm

Matias wants tiles for the kitchen

Susana

Post by Susana » Thu May 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Ah, great!

Susana

Post by Susana » Sun May 31, 2009 9:34 am

So, I got these tiles. They are actually factory samples sent to architects. The girl herself is an architect and tols me that architect offices need, from time to time, to get rid of these samples. I thought that if we send a letter to the architect offices in Edinburgh we may get a nice response (and do them a favour, anyhow). If it is ok with you, people, I will be sending such letter and will collect the samples if we get a positive response. The girl is going to send me a list of the offices she knows.. :mrgreen:

I left the tiles in the crafty room, for the time being. Just imagine that we do collect a good pile of them: we could use them for the kitchen, as Matias wants, but also for the toilets (I mean it would be a miracle if we get enough to cooover the toilets walls, but we could get enough to sorround the washing basins and/or stick them loosely all over the walls as a sort of collage with blank spaces in between..

These people also receive floor tiles: for that to work for us we would definetely need enought tiles of the same type (i.e. size, thickness) to cover the floor. She also said they get lino pieces... which is another possibility.

In any case, someone, with a taste for mosaics, etc could have a lot of fun... :wink:

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:53 am

Are they all the same size?
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

amelia

Post by amelia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 pm

These tile samples sound great Susana. :)

What if the mosaic/tiling is a 'work in progress' -depending on amount we get - rather than needing to wait for the right no. of tiles for a finished bit?

There could be a tiling workshop happening regularly maybe. What of the glue though - anyone know a glue that won't be too toxic? I get headaches from them instantly so I'v never learnt much about glue... :?: Some glues need special applicators and skills and heating etc.