Linux on the Forest computers

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
chombee

Linux on the Forest computers

Post by chombee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:06 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just wanted to let people know that I'll be the linux contact for the forest if you have any problems or want anything done with linux on your computers. I live with Jane, Di (Dy, Die?) and Shannon, so the Forest has my phone number and you can email me too.

From what I've been told, the computer near the front of the Forest is running Ubuntu Linux and I've been given the passwords for it by the infoseed people. The computer near the back is I'm told dual-booting Windows 2000 and Ubuntu, and it seems nobody really knows what's going on with it, whether people have files they want saved on there, or who's computer it is and what will become of it.

Anyway, call or email me for any linux issues. Use the email address in my sig.

- Sean
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

beev

Post by beev » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:33 am

the computer in the front room is much cooler now 8)

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed May 24, 2006 5:51 pm

There was some talk about getting Linux/Free Software on the forest's jukebox/mac machine as well. I don't particularly want to push for this to happen quickly right now, but I found some music software that I think would be good to use so I thought I'd share. Screenshot:

http://banshee-project.org/Image:0_11_0_library.png

I had been talking to Tim about figuring out a way to show off the Forest's free music attitude and get the names of artists that play on the jukebox on display somehow, along with info about where people can download or buy the music. This music player looks quite good for that, cause as well as displaying the track info like aritst name and album, it also displays album art for the current track and for 'recommended artists' (not sure exactly how that works), and it has top tracks and top albums charts.

We thought about hooking up the computer to the projector so we could project this info about the music onto the wall, but I now think it's dumb to run the projector all day. I think it'd be better to rearrange the furniture a bit so that the monitor (or a second monitor) displaying info about the artist points out into the cafe, although the keyboard and mouse could still be behind it so you have to go behind to change stuff.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!