Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:58 am 

Hi! <br>
I REALLY want to record a good radio quality c.d. of some of my acoustic stuff. With a little moral and technical support ( that is usually around the Forest ), I'm confident I can figure my way around the studio. I have been to music college and have some experience of these things. I can help with the production of other people who collaborate with me, once I have a good grip of it. You can hear some basic recordings I've done on my friend Kenny's four track that he loaned me at http://www.myspace.com/dannymakesmusic ( or here on the Forest site soon enough ).
For working out the money side of things I don't know what to suggest right now, but I trust we can work something out, it feels more important to me to start doing something now than to hold back till later till all the fine details are finalised. This means A LOT to me. Please can anyone help me out?

Last edited by danny on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Booh-hoo..
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:20 pm 

This is really a shame, but I guess I need to look around at other labels. it just doesn't feel right..When the friends of the Forest inspired some of these tunes.. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:26 pm 

what you looking for exactly, danny?

Post subject: This...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 pm 

To be trusted to use the studio without anyone else having to be there, ideally.
While I'm here, there is a "7 things to do before I die" thing that Neil started up that I'm inviting you to join on the Forest Blogg. Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:55 pm 

Yo Danny

I love your tunes so much, I'm hearing them in my head now when I'm waiting for the bus. I really want to see you get a recording of the stuff so I can get my own copy and listen to it at home...

I dunno what I can do to help you. I don't know much about recording and stuff but maybe together we can figure it out. Let me know when you are free to give it a try and we'll do what we can.

Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:53 am 

hold on a minute...

i showed you how to work the 8 track.
you can book the studio at the times we set out...just call robin.
cos we wanna help you it's free

that's a pretty good deal...
what more do you want?

one minute you're saying you want help then you're saying you wanna do it on your own...

just get in there and do it.
what's stopping you?
how far did you get the other day using the 8-track?

Post subject: Convincing Robin..
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:31 am 

Cheers for the support dudes!<br>

Robin says I have to go in there with Andy, which I feel is unnecessary. I mean it's not that Andy's help isn't useful it's just that I can do most of it myself and play what I've recorded to Andy on a c.d. back at the house for feedback. Besides, Andy has started a new job, so he has no time to come in and record. It's a matter of convincing Robin that I'm trustworthy. I guess I should have spelled it out straight away. So what I'm really looking for are people who believe I am trustworthy to convince Robin because he won't speak to me about it.<br>
If that works, then I will need the basic instruction guide that I think Gareth has right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:51 pm 

as i understand it both gareth robin and andy have offered to help you record your tracks on the super forest digi-recorder. the kit is expensive, danny, and while there is certainly in issue of trust, there is also the fact that these people are looking out for you.

if you are alone in the studio and something f's up, if there is a power surge or an accidental tea spill and the expensive equiptment is messed up, you are kind of screwed and so is the forest. in the past we've lost a car, numerous drills etc. I see no reason why you cannot work with other people to gaurentee the safty of our mutual equpipment. remember, it's everybody's stuff and everybody should be allowed to use it an d that means having rules for everybody's safty, that includes your own safty.

we'd all like to hear you get out a cd.

book the studio. get andy or gareth to be there with you. record and finish. it seems that you just wanna do things on danny's random schedual and that is slowing you down.

forest is donating you studio time and acess to the 8 track.
I don't see why you need to be alone with incredibly expensive and delicate gear.

r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:51 pm 

I can understand the caution around such expensive stuff and I appreciate that you are trying to help, but I think things are a little confused..<br>
This is not about me doing things on my own random schedule. Robin and Andy are too busy. Gareth, I asked you a couple of times some time ago if you wanted to go in and when you were free, without being vague in any way and had no reply, so I guessed you were busy too.<br>
I know I may have a reputation as something of a total space cadet around here and well.. I am, but it doesn't mean there aren't certain things that I can put my mind to. One of those things is sussing out the space rocket that is the Forest studio.<br>
What i'm saying is, I have been trusted on my own with equipment worth a lot more than the Forest studio at music college. Maybe a reference from them or a deposit to cover the whole cost of the equipment would reassures you?<br>
In the meantime Gareth, if you are up for it, then get in touch and lets make a plan!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:15 pm 

hold on again....

i need to speak to robin to find out what this is all about.

In the meantime think about a tracklisting for the album and arrangements.

Just a couple of things first....

Danny wrote:
Quote:
Gareth, I asked you a couple of times some time ago if you wanted to go in and when you were free, without being vague in any way and had no reply, so I guessed you were busy too

Even though i didn't reply to your email i did spend 2 hours with you and Andy, after you wrote to me, teaching you how to use the 8 track. That should be enough for you to know how to use it now.

Quote:
This is not about me doing things on my own random schedule.

another thing...Robin did tell me that you had rung up late at night wanting to go into the studio that night to record. Book some time in advance....

i am really supportive...i would love to see a danny album. we like your tunes. the forest is supporting you all the way.

i'm gonna try and speak to robin, see what the problem is, see what the solution is gonna be and then we'll forget all about these problems, get our shit together, get in the studio and record some tracks....

ok?

i am free this weekend so hope we can work things out by then

Last edited by Gaz on Sun May 14, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Recording this weekend
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:44 pm 

That's reassuring. Thanks. I was worried. <br>
Andy has offered to put up the money for the time we may need in order to get into there at a time which suits us both, which is cool!<br>
The 'random schedule' thing still is a little harsh though. We hadn't planned to go in there and record that day, we just bumped into each other, so you can't blame me for not having my guitar with me. It was another evening that I txted Robin about the studio situation and yes, it was a kind of last minute thing but.. let's leave this for now, I'll tell you later.. <br>
I really don't mean to seem ungrateful, really I am. I know I was pissed off that morning but there are good reasons, anyway we can talk about this shit later, sort out these mixed messages and save people having to read these quibllings ( is that a word?.. It looks really silly when I look at it.. )<br>
Tell me as soon as you know what the score is, so we can make plans!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:20 pm 

:D

its a bit like eastenders.

Post subject: Saawt it aat!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:35 pm 

Saawt it aat!! Whatcha onnabaat? It's just a recowdin' innit.. INNIT!! I int dun nufink! NUFINK!! :lol: