Hitching Advice

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Keni

Hitching Advice

Post by Keni » Mon May 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Thinking of hitching down by next week for a wee break. Given it is over ten years since I did any substantial thumb waving, anybody able to offer advice on good spots for catching lifts? Ken there's websites now but all the ones I've seen are great for the Continent but crap for the UK.

Cheers, Keni
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Cut the crap & make it happen.

nix

Re: Hitching Advice

Post by nix » Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 pm

a sign and a smile are the key!

People will stop... eventually.. faith in human nature is essential!

Good Luck!
2653256942_f0e21afbbc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Keni

Post by Keni » Mon May 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Ta bud. So the basics are still the same then - good nature & a clear readable sign.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes. (Oscar Wilde)

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm

where exactly are you aiming for?
Pep Up The Turmoil

Keni

Post by Keni » Tue May 10, 2011 3:03 pm

Norfolk, so thought down the A1 to the A17. Does it make a difference?

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 am

Been a long time since I hitched too, at least outside the Highlands where it's easy. But the A1 always had a bad reputation for hitching, and I did have a pretty slow time getting anywhere on it. Bits of it have been upgraded to motorway, so you can't wait by the side of the road on those, and even elsewhere drivers treat it much like a motorway and are pretty unlikely to stop. So if you do get a ride with someone not going the whole way down, make sure you get dropped at a 24-hr service station rather than some random junction. You'll have a far better chance of picking up the next ride.