Use of gallery

swithun

Use of gallery

Post by swithun » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:38 pm

Some workshop - sounds like 'chicken' and something to do with movement wanted to use the gallery this afternoon. They said that they had been told that they could use it, but there was all this paper on the floor and a carpet under that and a sign saying don't move anything. So I turned all 2 of them away. Does there need to be more communication between the workshop and gallery people?

lucky

Post by lucky » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:20 am

I'm sure this was brought up before and gallery peeps would prefer no workshops due to danger of artist's work being destroyed.

And, that ain't no peice of carpet. That's art!

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

alice

Post by alice » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 am

there probably does need to be more communication about this as some artists won't mind at all. how about we ask the artist each month and somehow let the workshops know about it. But otherwise assume not.

graeme

Post by graeme » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Along the same lines as the workshop question:
Folk often gather in the gallery for birthdays etc.
These gatherings usually use the window space but occasionally take up the whole gallery space and prevent viewing of the exhibits.
This has happened when I have been night managing and I haven't been asked if it is ok.
Is the appropriate use of the gallery space something NMs should be responsible for?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:17 pm

Alice and I talked about this before and said we'd figure it out on a case-by-case basis.

We have used the gallery for bag making on a couple of occasions. Both times people still came in to view the art and it was pretty cool and interactive. I don't think that's possible with a room of people doing dance...

It is very difficult to keep people out of the gallery when things are busy - especially at night. I really feel that if the gallery does not want people hanging out in there and drinking at night then we need to put some doors up and close the gallery at 7-8pm.

lucky

Post by lucky » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:18 pm

Was a doors on the gallery thing not talked about ages ago? I totally forgot about that. You know, proper solid doors or something.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:21 pm

The gallery group are on it, as far as I know.

bill

Post by bill » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 pm

we are so on it you wouldn't believe it, we have even talked about it and evrything! gosh!