new forest web site

martinmckenna

new forest web site

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:31 pm

hello !

so we have a new web site , its going a to be a lots easier to edit and such . but we need to think about how we are going to use it . so we have our front page , this has been in past a description of the gallery , I think this should be the events listing and some sort menu relating to every thing else . i think it important that web site communicates that they is something happening .

how we organize other stuff may be a bit tricky and will take time to get right , this other stuff is ..

submissions guidelines

the project , currently we have a sub project within the main project of open submissions . i would think each project has it own page and sub pages too . eg suitcase would have its own page and it own gallery too .

about us , including pictures of the space ,

archives .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

stephengoodall

Re: new forest web site

Post by stephengoodall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:34 pm

lol cross post. will dleete and repost.
First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 pm

I have had a bit of a mess around with the TK text, including some stuff from mirja's documents for the suitcase series. I think we should have a new image for the main page- any ideas of what?

Should we just continue to upload images to the same folders as before??

ideas-

consolidate documentation of exhibitions from archive and other sources to make look sweet and record former shows.

get the now fabled "westport archive" online in some sense.

Is it possible to creat pages within pages as on the old website??- set up project pages e.g A0, Suitcase series.

Submissions page for rolling exhibitions and TK09 (maybe "oppertunities" page)

Action day would be perfect for this as then we can distribute the skills to update.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:22 pm

http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/suitcase-series

http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/ao

http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/tkprojects

(dont use these ulr on promo material , as these will change once the site goes live )

yes it would be good to have a action day on how to use this web site , the sooner the better . i think we should all start using it now as if it is live

martin
Heaven is a disaster

milk

Post by milk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:11 pm

strange, the http://theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/tota ... -march-tk7 event isn't appearing on the events calendar. was this definitely created as an event item rather than a news item? the submitter had forgotten to select the checkbox for 'This event has a start time' and didn't enter the end date for the event, but i sorted that, though it had no change on the calendar problem, though i don't have enough time atm to look into this and find the problem myself.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

milk

Post by milk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:14 pm

also, what's the worth of having a separate 'totalkunst' user? i'm worried that going down the same mode of operation as the old site may lead to too many people having write/edit access on the site and reduce accountability, though what do others think? removing the 'submitted by' details' is also a possibility if this is preferable.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:51 am

i made that event as a tk event which i created . the idea being that it would nice to have our own events listing . so having it as its own content , makes the filtering easier .

the events block i think has to look like the news one with thumbnails and a summery .

with regards to totalkunst user . it was test . i dont know how or could find a way of giving permission to edit just tk pages to users . i dont think everyone should have access to editing every page so i was seeing what permissions i could give it . maybe milk you know how to fix this . i get what you mean about accountability and i agree .

currently am just playing about with it . see what it can do and how we can use it . it would be good to meet and discuss how its all gonna work .

we are really excited about the prospect of having a web site we can use !

martin
Heaven is a disaster

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:58 am

this is test page with the filtered tk events on it , and a menu just for tk . we are gonna probably have a lot of pages to navigate and it hard to find them so am playing about with the idea of a menu

http://www.theforest.org.uk/drupal-6.9/tktest

martin
Heaven is a disaster

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:14 am

aye- how does one get from the homepage to the projects page for example?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:15 am

what about sunday 22/03/2009 for the action day?

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:02 pm

i guess you dont ,yo have to go thru tk homepage first . its a bit like the bbc front page if want news on edinburgh only , you need to go to scotland first

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/default.stm

our current tk home page has links but no menu . this can be added . so it would be like i want to know the ao project . oh it something to do with tk , "click"

am up for sunday . but i think this would be a design day . how web site works is yet to be decided on so there may little point in showing people how to use it .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

mirja

Post by mirja » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:09 pm

looks good although i find it still confusing as to-

the forest/totalkunst relationship is confusing - this comes from the main forest page. its not clear there, what the forest is ( artspace?) and what is totalkunst then? It says that forest runs a gallery, but is also itself 'an artspace'... its not question to establish some pecking order or such... its just tiresome to try to figure out whats what, and where's the 'gallery'... and is it an artspace ('gallery') or some other kind of creativespace. I think the idea that we are firmly joined in organisation and ethos, bur slightly discrete and with slightly different profile would be a great thing to communicate. But, what do you think about this? maybe im wrong...I think where it says that forest 'runs an artist-led gallery' it should definitely say TotalKunst, and this should be a live link to the totalkunst page in addition to the link from the menu.
Also, I wonder if on the top of the main forest page there could be a logo of totalkunst as well? - a small one, just to give that visual confirmation that this is the right place, and same organization, (and if there are other logos of the organisation, like The Cave and the ArtBiz etc. maybe these as well...) Why i'm saying this is, if I'm an artist or a 'creative' as the website puts it or art-seeking person and I think that I'm dealing with TotalKunst and then up comes FOREST website and I have to go hunting for the info for Totalkunst, I get confused, and I think that this 'gallery' does not exist for real.

also it would be a good thing to have the totalkunst gallery main page navigative as an access to all the totalkunst stuff.

Agree about a new pic perhaps, and the idea of the action day is great, next sunday?
to me, the look of the site is great, and also the logo for the TK09 is great! who did that, dooz puaah twelve points from me!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:43 pm

these are complicated issues , and i guess it hasn't been without its controversy in past . tk and the forest .it has never been easy to explain what the forest is other than the mechanics of how its funded . eg the cafe .for me rather than say , do ! so the events that are coming up on the front page should explain what it currently is and what its going to be in the future and the archive what it has been . this has been known as the forest a singularity in our mist . the black hole of perception.

the one thing that ties us togeather is the forest and this should be the main page . this where all our events will be listed .

martin
Heaven is a disaster

mirja

Post by mirja » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:13 pm

not a problem of the forest being the main page, and the events coming up there , just where i can find the totalkunst stuff.
there is such a natural flow through the whole place once you get there, i.e. it does not need explaining how it works once you are there. the web of course does not relate this very easily. i like underlining the issue that you are an 'art gallery' , and you are decidedly forest as well, and there is no contradiction in this, and not a compromise in terms of being both. does this make sense? just imho.

like the flow of your exegesis as well... :)

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:11 pm

milk any chance we can get this mailman module installed

http://drupal.org/project/mailman_manager

martin
Heaven is a disaster

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Heaven is a disaster

michaelbowdidge

Post by michaelbowdidge » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 pm

if the 22nd is the action day i can't make it til after 7:30 due to teaching commitments
I'll take your brain to another dimension...

milk

Post by milk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:50 pm

fraid i can't make this sunday as i've a beltane group meet then i'm on the door at the bfs equinox party later.