Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:07 pm 

Nix tells me we are getting a computer in the cave so that we can record music and the radio shows. At the moment the cd burner on the eight track doesn't work, so it needs to be mixed down to a computer before we can do anything with what we record. Anyone any idea when this computer might be ready? Should I be keeping an eye out on free-cycle myself in case something suitable comes up?
Another wee thing while I'm here. The "Phantom Power" button on the mixing desk shouldn't be on at any time except when the studio quality mikes are being used. It's just an extra power source to charge them, but apparently it damages mikes if it's on when it's not meant to be and half the time I've been down there it seems to be on. Wee sign needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:21 am 

Quote:
Anyone any idea when this computer might be ready?

i know a big new hdd is coming at some point soonish and that one of the old action room pcs is getting done up spec wise and something like ubuntu studio (i've just tooked through this and ubuntu studio seems to be the best candidate), although i can't remember which pc nix said was to be requestioned. i'll check what the situation is next time i see him.

Quote:
Another wee thing while I'm here. The "Phantom Power" button on the mixing desk shouldn't be on at any time except when the studio quality mikes are being used. It's just an extra power source to charge them, but apparently it damages mikes if it's on when it's not meant to be and half the time I've been down there it seems to be on. Wee sign needed.

plan. how about colour coding mics with electricians tape to distinguish between dynamic and condenser? do we have any di boxes for use in that room?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:44 am 

getting further with the cave computer.

Martin has been working on the machine. we need a DVD writer.. (we could use just a reader, with a bit of fiddle fiddle.

we are meeting in the cave on Monday. 5pm.

Milk: can you bring the software?

yes. we need good sinage for how to use all the stuff in the cave.

people are muppets.

maybe we should not put our good condencers out for the public to use? / get a cheap chinese one?

who will help with the signage? when?

love and music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 am 

you can get a dvd writer from the pc shop opposite Maplin on Dalry road for £15. they are brand new and good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:40 am 

We've got a writer being used in the video wall machine, that only needs a reader. So if we can get a reader, which should be even cheaper/free, we create a spare writer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:50 am 

Some USB 2 ports would be handy for people to get their files onto sticks.

When I was talking to Nix about this a while ago, we had the idea of getting Cave users to pay for an upgraded computer account. For free, people could use a guest account which has limited storage space and no guarantee that files will be around next time they come down. But for X pounds a month, people could get their own account and have Y gig of storage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:57 am 

There's no big disk available for this at the moment, so the plan we decided on for now was to make this explicitly and exclusively a recording machine. You record your stuff, and burn it onto DVD at the end of your session. If you leave stuff on there, the next person to come in can delete it to clear space for their recordings.

If people want to do post-production work, they can do it at home, or on the action room computers that have more space, better spec, and don't block the cave from the next user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:36 am 

I think thats fair enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:49 pm 

monday evening should be cool, although the Forest facilitation workshop is running until 6. nix i see you're wanting to attend that also - does the cave meeting have to be 5pm or could it be pushed back an hour? i don't have anywhere to download ubuntu studio right now apart from the action room. might martin, swith or anyone else possibly be able to download/bittorrent/burn a dvd image of ubuntu studio? would be greatly appreciated. ttfn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:11 pm 

as far as am aware you dont have to download it , you can install via the normal disk , then install ubuntu studio packages via synaptic ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:17 pm 

or open the terminal
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-video ubuntustudio-graphics

you will need the password for this ,

and boom your system is ubuntu studio , i think the major difference with ubuntu studio is that it uses a real time kernel , which you would have to select from the grub menu on boot up , it would be better to make this the default choice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:53 pm 

ah, righty ho. will defo be in the forest on monday from early so can hook the old oak to the network and do this (unless someone has time before me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:47 am 

OK..

Cave computer meeting .. 6 pm.. cool?

thanks to all for the input (and outputs!)

N.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:21 pm 

Update on this:

The blue computer is up and running using the 20GB hard drive from one of the old action room machines. Some people had files on there, these have been moved to the left hand new machine in the action room.

I left it earlier, under the desk, plugged into the network downloading the Ubuntu Studio packages. Should have finished by now, so can hopefully tidy up any loose ends tomorrow.