letter to publications

Records, publishing, shop etc.
Jane

letter to publications

Post by Jane » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:50 pm

i drafted a letter to send to publications we like to say pretty please can we have a free subscription so we can put your magazine in our library.

i thought once we decided who were going to send it to i could personalise it a bit about why we really want them, so people, start thinking what you would like to see in the library.

make corrections if ya please, i'm not sure if it sounds a bit "adopt a blind donkey and save the world from syphillus" oxfamesque>>>>>jxxxx

Dear “name of editor”

I am involved in managing a not-for-profit arts space in the centre of Edinburgh called The Forest. We are self funded through a volunteer run vegetarian café and adhere to a principle of free access, where it is always free to attend events and to perform. We particularly aim to support those involved in creative ventures, providing monthly and quarterly grants, access to a rehearsal and recording studio, gallery space, a darkroom and small scale publishing support.

At the moment we are trying to extend our reference library to include a wider range of *whatever type of magazine they do*. However, because we are not-for-profit, our budget is extremely limited, and we cannot afford to subscribe to the publications we would like to support. We were wondering if you could offer us a free subscription to your magazine, which we could make available in our library. Your support would help us to create a free, up-to-date reference facility *for people interested in whatever they do, eg – for local poets to learn about getting published, for community political groups, etc etc*.

It would also be excellent advertising for you, as it would result in a large number of people becoming aware of your magazine. Our volunteer base totals over 250 plus we have a constant stream of customers, artists and performers passing through our café.

If this is not possible, we would appreciate any other donations you could make to our library, such as back issues.

If you would like any more information on our organization, please do not hesitate to contact me at jane@theforest.org.uk or via the above address. Alternatively, you can access our website at http://www.theforest.org.uk.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Yours Sincerely

Jane Flett

The Forest Cafe
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:10 pm

sounds quite good, actually. I would highlight the bussiness of the cafe: bustling, busy, crowded etc. Also, our demographic is highly desireable: young people 18 - 25 with disposable income and who are aware and active.

these are the things that people in magazines like to hear about.

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 pm

better?

"It would also be excellent advertising for you, as it would result in a large number of people becoming aware of your magazine. Our volunteer base totals over 250, mainly young people with disposable incomes. The cafe attracts a high number of creative and aware individuals as well as a large turnover of customers, resulting in a space which is constantly busy and bustling"
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:29 pm

much better. i think the advertising thing should just be implied. tell them who we / our clients are and they will be smart enough to draw their own conclousions.

because, truly, it's not advertising for their magazine they are looking for.... what they want is THEIR advertisers ads seen by young demographic with money and that way they can set higher advertising rates. they will not expect many people to see their magazine in a cafe and then go home and subscribe.

sense?
r