Forest Records Catalogue

Records, publishing, shop etc.
Gaz

Forest Records Catalogue

Post by Gaz » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey...this is an attempt to get a list together of Forest Records releases.
I've included all work that's on the website listening room, forest radio, forest records homepage and cds i found in the shop box. Unfortunately all these sources are a bit different. It would be nice to get a definitive list here. Add to this when new work is released or if anything is missing.

It might be nice also to have date released and track listing for each release, because tracks aren't listed for some albums. Also we should add some made up catalogue number: FOREST001 or something....
the more you think, the more you stink

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Forest Records Catalogue

Dirk Markham
Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 1
Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 2
Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 3
Dirk's Definition of Country
Advent

Dan Seizure
In Bed With
At Home With
Danseizure Vs Dan Arborise
Danseizure Vs Umbrellamouth - Electronic Shopping
Let's Not Go Out With

Arctic Circle
Volume One
Volume Two

Ryan Van Winkle
I Hate Myself, I'm A Genius, I Ruin Everything (I'm So Lonely)

Ragland
Volume One: Welcome To Ragland
See:Xons

John Crave
Superbuildings

Kenilworth
Kenilworth

i:beam
i:beam with hal ramel

The Very
The Very
Demo (2 tracks)

Miroslav Mitrovic
Songs Of The Future

Peter Escott
4 Seconds
Live at the Forest
6 Months Transportation
Piano and Forte Only
Nyet Sevednya

CMG
Don't Go Midi

The Abdominal Showmen
Ourang-Outang

Kyon and Dyems
The Cage EP

MGM
Post listening 1 | MGM Urban Exploration Squad
Post listening 2 | CIA

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:02 pm

I have tried to gather mp3s for the listening post and for CD production but some are missing as I couldn't find CDs or files. I have been able to make high quality mp3s for everything else...good enough to create CDs from. I will bring in what I've got and put it on the office computer as the master set of copies. So if something is missing we need to add it...

Forest Records Catalogue

Dirk Markham
Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 1 GOT
Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 2 GOT
Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 3 MISSING
Dirk's Definition of Country MISSING
Advent GOT

Dan Seizure
In Bed With MISSING
At Home With GOT
Danseizure Vs Dan Arborise MISSING
Danseizure Vs Umbrellamouth - Electronic Shopping MISSING
Let's Not Go Out With GOT

Arctic Circle
Volume One MISSING
Volume Two GOT

Ryan Van Winkle
I Hate Myself, I'm A Genius, I Ruin Everything (I'm So Lonely) GOT

Ragland
Volume One: Welcome To Ragland GOT
See:Xons GOT

John Crave
Superbuildings GOT

Kenilworth
Kenilworth GOT

i:beam
i:beam with hal ramel GOT

The Very
The Very GOT
Demo (2 tracks) GOT

Miroslav Mitrovic
Songs Of The Future MISSING

Peter Escott
4 Seconds MISSING
Live at the Forest GOT
6 Months Transportation GOT
Piano and Forte Only GOT
Nyet Sevednya GOT

CMG
Don't Go Midi GOT

The Abdominal Showmen
Ourang-Outang MISSING

Kyon and Dyems
The Cage EP GOT

MGM
Post listening 1 | MGM Urban Exploration Squad GOT
Post listening 2 | CIA MISSING
(not sure about this one...all I've got is one long track of 41.43 - is this post listening 1?)

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 pm

we're getting down to the nitty gritty now. coming to "the crunch". this is where it starts to get interesting. sorry if some of what follows sounds rather "anti"

MGM
Post listening 1 | MGM Urban Exploration Squad GOT
Post listening 2 | CIA MISSING

this is not "a release". they are pre-listening demos. the album/release is called "Post Listening" and is coming out later this year - these original sounds remixed by 3D aka the Urban Exploration Society
similarily, matthew told me once he was unhappy about what were really only early ac demos being repackaged without his knowledge and called Arctic Circle Volume One and Volume Two. strictly speaking, these were never releases, and not forest records releases. they were VERY limited edtition demos Macheney gave to his friends and sold for 50p at gigs.
i've also been concerned about the use of "volume". i mean, its part of the concept of my psycho-acoustic sculptures series that they actually are volumes - one a year til the day i die. but having so many release called "volume x" just looks like people cant think of good titles.
no offence to rob or mikey but "the very" and "ourang outang" came out on their own labels, not "forest records"...
i remember mikey talking about the balkan project at new year. its being properly pressed so the factory asked him for a cat number and mikey told him "forest rec no. 1 i guess" this upset me a little cause we've had a load of stuff come out previously. i suppose strictly speaking we would need to do retrospective cat numbers on all releases - maybe the first forest compilation would be forestrecords#1...............? on the website/listening room there is only e.g."catalog no. FR_772" below each cover image...!?!?

ok my whinge is coming to an end. please dont get me wrong. as a record label employee i just think its interesting to see how forest records works (or doesnt) and the extreme limitations of a collective/democratic setup for a music label - maybe labels need a dj hell like dictator to work?

ps PSv3 must be on the wesite server - or i can send mp3s or a cd copy.
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:05 pm

Yes this is it peoples!

Artists need to decide if what they have got out there is official. Anything on this list will be going on the listening post. Anything on the listening post will be manufactured and sold at the forest...that's how I see it.

So if people aren't happy with some work they've got on this list then time to say.

Dirk...you do know the MGM thing was sold as a CD when the shop was up and running? Are you saying it shouldn't have been?

Similarly with Arctic Circle stuff....

On the compilations. There are no CDs here or files or lists or covers so they only exist in the heads of a few people perhaps. Someone needs to bring them in and upload them if they are going on the list.

Doubts linger then on...
Crave - is this forest records??? it's not on the website
Showmen - maybe not forest records then...
Arctic Circle - are these official releases...maybe not from what dirk says
MGM - not yet an official release
The Very - released under their own label so maybe doesn't count?
Kenilworth and i-beam - pogo, happy for these to be forest records artists?
Peter Escott - gone far away - any one in contact with him to check?

That's a fair chunk of the whole list. Wow!

We should sort this one out.
The listening post will be held up til this is sorted.

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:20 pm

yeh. its a question of defining/distinguishing forest records/friends/collective...

i'm sure we must be able to find copies of the first two compilations (i'll have a look). what were they, "copsed" and another...?

thats right, MGM should never have been burned - the album is coming later in the year - 's gonna be amazing (should be, its been over three years in production!)
aye and check with the Man Macheney - he may well feel the same way about AC "vol1+2". i know there is a new Arctic album coming soon (in the mix) - maybe we can "license" it from them ; )

gaz, i'm glad theres other passionate about "forest records". wish i could do more for this wg. i'm gaining in experiance and contacts in this field all the time so i may be of use yet. lets talk at easter.

when is the 7" getting pressed - whats its cat. number (print it on the sleeve!)?

In Bed With with DS shouldnt be missing - thats one of the earliest/best releases too...!

my beat is a forest.

peace,

Dirk
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:23 pm

hey - i got in contact with people when i was first doing the shop, i didn't just copy stuff without permission. matthew said:

"Hey Jane

You got any arctic circle cds on display?

can you sell them at the same price as danseizures please

cheers matthew"

i will email to see if it is still cool or if he wants them removed.

as for the mgm, i made copies originally after talking to dan who said it was cool, but then minds were changed and they came off the market without any having been sold.

jxxxx
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:43 pm

maybe we should go to year zero and start again.

start with a blank page. any of the stuff on this list will be on the new list but artists need to say what they want in. if they don't give permission then they are not on the list and it's not official.

this is also a good opportunity to open up to new artists and submissions and get new people on board, because things might be a little sparse otherwise.

also...this is good thing we do - forest records...
the concept of a community record label has great potential.

but i think we haven't yet defined what forest records is, what it wants to do and what it is trying to do.

that could be a very good first step.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:20 pm

hey -
I NEVER said anyone could touch let alone listen to MGM. ok maybe i did...

anyway I just spoke to mikey, the balkan CD arrives on Monday, all finished, hooray!! But it's true, it has catalogue number FR001 on it.
so there we are.
viva la revolution
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:03 pm

its all fluff really.

so year zero. clean slate. balkan ist one. perhaps we can work back retrospectively on past releases calling them fr-001, fr-002, fr-003 etc...man thats a serious idea. PSv3 would be about fr-004!

thing is, now there's more people in on the WG theres more happening and a coupld things are getting proper pressings.
another way to catalogue stuff is by format so maybe balkan is fr001 (official) but there can also be frcdr001 (first comp?/lets not go out?) and soon fr7001 etc etc etc...

industry kills music

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:05 pm

I think we should adopt the policy of Factory Records and place a catalogue on everything we produce or own (even things that aren't produced). For instance FAC 8 was a menstrual egg timer, an idea that was never executed, but as it stood alone as an ingenious idea it received a catalogue number.
The Hacienda also carried a catalogue number (FAC 51) thus making it pretty near impossible for collecting obsessive to have a full set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_Records_Catalogue
Pep Up The Turmoil

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:20 pm

i like the idea of that. similarily, gigolo records has pantees and a ruler in its catalogue.
thats right the 24hour party people book aso got a factory cat number...

matthew

Post by matthew » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:46 pm

ok just to clarify

the first two arctic circle cds arent 'demos', they are proper releases, yes i'd like them to be in the forest catalogue. i sold them cheap... this doesnt have any relation to the value of the music or whether the release is official or not

yes i objected to them being renamed as vol 1 and vol 2. i didnt really like any of the text on the website relating to them... as it seemed to have been culled from google and wasnt accurate or how i would describe the music

none of the albums have names, so i guess its up to you guys to find a way of identifying them. i'd reccomend just putting release date next to it. first one = november 2003. second one = june 2004

if you want to put the new one on the catologue that would be cool... i'd be up for selling it in the forest, although so far this hasnt worked out eg all the copies of the old cd being sold/ lost and me not getting any cash for it

i could send you some new text for the website if you want it
theres no success like failure and failures no success at all

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:59 am

Ok, here's the here;

When I am finished dissertation and exams I will come in and properly close up&inventory the short and illustrious career of the forest shop. There will probably be some money all round for sale of cds.

as for album names/biogs on the web/whatever - jesus . I spent weeks of my precious time when I was setting up the shop emailing everyone trying to get them to spend 2 minutes writing a couple of lines of information. Anyone who couldn't do it within a month got the google. We were going to make a big forest records book to have by the counter with discographies of what everyone had made so it was easy to buy things over the counter. I shelved that and quit doing the shop because no one could be arsed to send me anything and trying to sell people's cds was way more hassle than it was worth and I just got gyp for doing it wrong. I have decided it is more fun doing my own projects than other peoples.

This time artists submit what they want, with full details, yes? And no one goes on the catalogue until that is done&done.

sorry, I am stressed out and pissy with exams.
Janexxxxxxxx
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

matthew

Post by matthew » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:49 pm

Hi sorry didnt mean to whinge. obviously everyone is volunteers. the last time i put any cds in the forest shop was several years ago anyway

i am admittedly way uptight about these kinds of tiny details

but hey thats my right

yes i agree no description should go up on the catalogue unless it is agreed by whoever made the record.

who do i send my text to?

thanks m x

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 pm

i just brought my copy of the "november 03" arctic circle cd back from edinburgh - the one with the beautiful etching on the cover. cant wait to hear the new album!

i'm also really keen to hear the first two compilations again - between us we must have copies of both? anybody?

matthew

Post by matthew » Wed May 02, 2007 9:26 pm

we've got some arctic circle you tube videos up now

if someone could add these links onto our page on forest website that'd be swell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91K0fYPo ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiODjoom ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRMU4uUG ... ed&search=

should be more on the way

if anyone fancies making a video for us then please get in touch

matthew@theforest.org.uk

cheers

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Back to my post on Factory catalogue numbers.

Tony Wilson was buried in a coffin numbered FAC 501.
Factory's last catalogue number.
Pep Up The Turmoil

milk

Re: Forest Records Catalogue

Post by milk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:14 am

could we create catalogue numbers for existing releases? would help greatly with the new website + discogs.com + last.fm + spotify + et al.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku