Zine stall at the Knockengorroch Festival

Records, publishing, shop etc.
Gaz

Zine stall at the Knockengorroch Festival

Post by Gaz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:28 pm

I received this from Nix.
Is it a grant application?
Probably not.
Sound more like a Forest Project so I will post it here and see what happens....
Dear Forest,

As you know, The Forest has been involved with the Zine stall at the Knockengorroch Festival for many seasons, this May I would like to propose a deeper and different involvement.

I would like The Forest/Forest Publications to practically and financially support a "Mobile Publishing Unit" that would produce a daily NewsSheet at the festival. Giving contributor the opportunity to see their work in print instantly, rather than 6 months later. And it would help to compile content for the regular bi-annual publication.

In my vision, there would be a large stall area with a desk and three chairs, two typewriters (which I have already). And a print room in the back of a van, containing a computer and the old Forest photocopier. The money I am asking for would be used to hire a large, Long-wheelbase van, and pay for things like toner/paper.

In the past, due to lack of enthusiasm and funding, the stall has been me and Shaz with a few damp pamphlets (Shaz has consistently lost money on this project), I think Forest support would give this endeavor the opportunity to not only produce some valid and exciting art/publishing but be a good way to reach out with Forest Publications and ideas to people out-with of edinburgh. You have to put something in to get something out.

Thank you for considering this application, and I look forward to your feedback.

Kind regards,

Nix.
the more you think, the more you stink

bill

Post by bill » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:14 pm

you can pay for my deisel and get me in and use my van and i would like to help some?

x

chris

Post by chris » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 pm

me also and i will be the official cartoonist... ::;))
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:10 pm

that's cool. i say make it so. how many of us can sneak in this way.

perhaps we can have a cia nights done there.

it would be very mean.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:55 pm

a thought occurred to me, photocopiers are very heavy and fragile/delicate machines, this long and at the camp end bouncy trip could fuck the photocopier. i still think it should be done, but great care must be taken....x
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 pm

although not as fast and efficient one of those multi print machine (copy/print/scan) would be a good option. They are small, and light and pretty damn good if you ask me! just an idea

Don't worry I'm not trying to blag a free ticket, as I'm already getting in for free with the Asazi space funk explosion (Asazi is back in April woo!!!)...another reason you should go is just to be able to see THE GREATEST BAND ON THE PLANET PLAY!
It's like God's vagina!

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:30 pm

If you want to avoid moving the photocopier I have a spare laser printer. Works, just needs toner. Not sure how fast it is.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:17 pm

This sounds gooood. Definitely a project, not a grant.

Will bill's van work?

nix

Post by nix » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:03 pm

don't know if bills van will work, but it's a better option then paying loads for one.

on the photocopier front... yes, the bumpy track could very easily totally fuck our already fucked machine.. and we should have plenty printers ( and computers to run) as in back up! we have two in Old Office, .. Martin says he got one.. any other ideas?

Free tickets:

we should have as big a crew as we can involved, but there are stringent limitations on the number of free spaces. a lot of us can get in in otherways, like Andy and his Bass .. and just pitch in a wee bit of energy for "The Zine Stall - supported by Forest" -

I have heard from Shaz, that there are only 4 tickets available for the stall, One for her, one for myself, one for Lewis (who has been very involved and active in the last few) and one for Michelle.
I quote from an Email from Shaz:
i am really hoping that michelle can come, as she is a fundamental part of the project.. at the moment though, she can only really come to the festival if she has a warmfuzzy place to sleep, preferably a warm dry vehicle.. i dont suppose there could be enough space in the van to accomodate a cot?.. she has chronic fatigue syndrome which could lay off a bit hopefully before festival, but essentially she needs to be able to take naps during the day..
We should find the budget to get 2/3 people into the festival to work on this project.

It will be worth it.

If we work hard in the preparation stages, we will have a great space to sell great publications!

Also the festival runs "THurs - Sun" this year .. and we should get in well early (like monday) to get a good sopt and to help the festival, y'ken.. we are all in this together, no?