The great sliced/grated carrot debate (not so important)

Should carrots always be grated in green salad?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:16 pm

Yes, I have no teeth and like mushy grated carrot.
43%
No, I can take my slices. Bring it on.
57%
WTF
No votes

Total votes: 7

swithun

The great sliced/grated carrot debate (not so important)

Post by swithun » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:16 pm

Looks like Alex can't take his sliced carrot and has to have it grated, so he can suck it up with a straw. Perhaps some people cut their carrots too thickly, but I can't believe that grated carrot is better than thinly (max 1 pound coin thickness) sliced carrot. Grated carrot leaks all the moisture into the salad and don't stay as fresh. Sliced carrots, on the other hand, retain their texture and you know you are eating a carrot.

Plus, from a speed point of view, it is much easier to chop a few carrots than it is to get the magimix out, put it back because you took the broken one, get the other one out, grate the handful of carrots and wash everything up. I didn't spend 60 quid on a knife, just to use something else to prepare carrots.

Perhaps we can agree on not using the magimix for slicing cucumber.

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:24 pm

It's all wrong! It's *way* quicker to magimix the carrots. I just think...and I don't believe I'm about to say this...the texture of chopped carrots in a green salad is *so* uncomplementary in comarrison to the smooth, refreshing swirl of grated carrot, beautifully flowing in and amongst the delicate lettuce leaves.

I think it's better for bulk too.

I still have a huge hang up in general to raw chopped carrot in things after that's what I bought as a Vegan Bagel at the Forest, nicely complemented with large chunks of raw onion and dead lettuce. That day will never leave my soul. Ugh!

The whole chopped carrot thing. It's a bit Jarvis Cocker.

If we keep with chopped carrot HOW THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO GET MICHIELLEN STARS!!! Think about it!

Alex*
Bohnenflaschen!

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:45 pm

I sit corrected. Chopped is better. It's not as pretty, but salads last longer.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:31 am

Actually, the new magimixer has a new grating attachment. It doesn't grate as thinly. They are big, chunky grated pieces, so it doesn't get slimy, and it's still quick. HURRAH!!!!!