kitchen meeting in cafe - 7.30pm

Shannon

kitchen meeting in cafe - 7.30pm

Post by Shannon » Tue May 15, 2007 12:38 pm

There is supposed to be a kitchen meeting tonight. Conveniently, you'll all be here for the volunteer get-together, so hopefully we can go through a few things quickly.

Pour exemple:

- Cakes return!
- More ethical moo milk
- What is to be done with laundry
- The great handsoap debate

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu May 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Present:
Alex, Sean, Shannon, Newington Bandit, Swithun

Cake

We are getting cakes and brownies again starting on Friday. Sean said that buying brownies was never a good idea as they were always too big. I've never had a problem with this myself.

Milk

At the moment we buy milk from Wiseman's Dairy. It may however be smarter to get milk from somewhere else where the white stuff is organic. Alex thought it was good to give our millions to nice people, rather than some corporate cow exploiters. There was also the option of buying milk from an even cheaper place, which is allegedly organic. Sean reckoned this was in fact rats' milk and we shouldn't touch it. So we will go for the slightly more expensive organic milk, which is 96p for 2 pints.

To cover this increase in costs, we will increase the price of coffee by 10-20p.

Soap

It was suggested that we get a proper soap dispenser. The trouble with these is that they have to be filled up with corporate soap, as used by Chiquita to launder their Columbian blood money. So we will get a pump dispenser and it will the the KM's duty to fill it up with Ecover liquid soap.

Spuds

On the plus side, they make us a big profit and are a good thing to have on the menu. But on the downside, in hot weather they don't sell that well and make the hot kitchen hotter. Maybe if they were cooked better (less), they would sell better. And they must be wrapped in foil, or the oven gets clarty, clarts.

beev

Post by beev » Thu May 17, 2007 1:04 pm

So the milk we get from Wiseman is not organic? I thought it was...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 17, 2007 1:09 pm

No, it is organic. The issue is more that they've taken over the Scottish milk market, putting many small dairies out of business and driving down prices for farmers.

The new milk would be non-homogenized, in glass bottles, with cream on the top! Or, if we don't want glass bottles (I reckon we can just store them in the walk-in fridge until the next delivery), we could get the milk delivered in a big urn and decant it.

Thus, we get wonderful milk and it's better for the environment.

And, we can put up the prices of coffee as we planned and let folks know that it is due to milk/Zapatista coffee/etc.

beev

Post by beev » Thu May 17, 2007 1:14 pm

Well that all sounds very cool. I was hoping that price rises would help pay the rent, though. But never mind, we can raise the price of tea as well!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 17, 2007 1:32 pm

The price rise will more than cover the price increase on the milk. We are going to price out the cost of milk/coffee properly. Fear not!

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu May 17, 2007 7:41 pm

When we raise the coffee prices, can we do the 1984 chocolate prices thing? "We are pleased to announce that the price of coffee has been reduced by one third for the fourth year running. The price of a coffee will now be 1.50. Forest minitruth."

I am on the milk measuring.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!