how many staff members in the kitchen

ravanwin

how many staff members in the kitchen

Post by ravanwin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:45 pm

All -

I've been noticing that the kitchen is often full of people who are not signed up for a shift. I think for both security and for the effencicy of the kitchen this needs to stop ASAP.

The only people behind the counter should be those who are signed up to work that day / shift. Volunteers should not be back making their own food or drink.

Why: I notice often that there are 5 or 6 people in the kitchen and one customer waiting to be served for ages. This is probably because 1 person is in the kitchen just for a chat and another is in making her own coffee (and then leaving while a customer waits). I know service is not our strong suit but i do think a cut down on superlative people in the kitchen is one of the things that will help because, with less confusion and distraction, customers might be seen and served.

further, randoms regularly in the kitchen is a huge liability in terms of security (keys and cash). If volunteers wanna chat to mates they should do it outside the kitchen and return when they are ready to work. There are loads of people who will happily lean against the display fridge and chit-chat for ages leaving a queue of people stranded. in an effort to increase revenue, i think this perennial concern needs to be readdressed.

thoughts from KMs?

r

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:36 pm

I've been saying this for ages and noticed it was really bad when I came back in the new year. Suddenly everyone was stomping into the kitchen and making their own special coffees and special burritos, etc. Often without even asking or letting people know they're coming into the kitchen. I am not exactly guilt-free in this, nor is Ryan, etc - we all like to make our own food, eh? But, maybe a strict policy is necessary. Common sense is not prevailing and I'm sick of being the bad guy.

Same with the red key - people are in and out getting it from behind the counter now. And when people do ask to come in, it's usually to get the rota or the key or something like that, which volunteers can just hand to them. I get claustrophobic in that space with so many people! I feel like a boss or a warden when I have to explain this to people a lot of the time (although many people are really lovely about it when they realise the reasons behind it).

I think I'm in favour of no off-shift vollies in the kitchen, but think it needs to be hashed out and discussed at the cafe and events meeting.

graeme

Post by graeme » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Rabbit ears or forest hats for those on shift, no ears or hat and you don't go in the kitchen unless with the express consent of the KM or NM.
I understand why folk not on shift want to use the vollie toilet, if we improve the public toilets with hot water and a working hand drier they may be happy to go downstairs.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:25 pm

i will double up on bad guy duty soon.

lucky

Post by lucky » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:50 pm

Claustrophobia is easy in the kitchen. I agree, I am going to crack down on this.

However, can we use our common sense on this? Like, Nix ALWAYS ends up serving customers for 10-15 mins when he comes in to make his coffee, and doesn't get in the way. Actually, I think we should give him special privilege and no-one else. Not even me.

So, Piotr was suggesting we paint a red line in the entrance to the kitchen. A visual sign is always effective. What should the text be. 'People On Shift Only' unless you can think of something more interesting. What a challenge.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!