FTP Problem

ravanwin

FTP Problem

Post by ravanwin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Hello,

I've been trying to get into the forest ftp thing via mozilla.... I can't seem to do it.

Pogo says it is a Swithun or Duncan thing? Maybe?

> they changed the
> CPanel login and i would assueme based on the latest
> forest website HACK that they disabled the FTP
> accounts. anyway.. i just tried to login to the
> sites control panel and got the 'not correct login'
> box. sorry:( have them email me the new details if
> you want my help on things.

can anyone fix this. there is much on that ftp thing that i'd like to move to the web.
r

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:34 am

I've never known the password/s. I think Duncan might have changed it - he was saying he should.

We shouldn't use FTP, and it should be deactivated. FTP, like telnet, sends passwords unencrypted, so is a major security risk. I don't know if this is how the scumbags hacked the site (they could have run a dictionary attack and guessed the password), but it is a good measure to take anyway.

Does the CPanel use a secure server (yellow background in location bar)? I could show people how to use SSH (secure shell) tools as a way of transferring files. In fact, on Linux you just type something like:

scp myphoto.jpg http://www.theforest.org.uk:public_html/photos

Doing things securely on Windows is a bit more time consuming.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:48 pm

listen, i don't understand what you're talking about but I have loads if files that i can't seem to get at so... please help me. I wanted this done before I went on my holidays.....

ah well.
r

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:50 pm

There isn't much anyone can do without a password. If someone tells me the SSH password, I can probably move your files around, Ryan.

By ftp thing, I guess you have some files on the Forest server which are outside the web directory, and you want them put somewhere visible to the web.

I've never used the web site. Is this something that should be done from within Joomla or CPanel, or is it just moving files from one place to another and the framework will do the rest?

pogo

Post by pogo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:31 pm

if i could get on the server i can install some simple ADMIN sections that are not FTP.

can the CPanel or Server setup a SFTP? that's encrypted and is easer to understand than SSH logins for non-techie people. unless you know a good graphical SSH program for installing onto the Forest office computer so our groups can get on the server and manage their stuff?

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:59 pm

New password sent out.

I've sorted Ryan's access.

Agreed ftp isn't ideal. Not so much problem with the limited user accounts, but we could do with getting the full access ones deactivated.

What's a good sftp / ssh client ? Thinking for Windows I'm afraid.
I love the bomb.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:59 pm

thanks duncan!
r

swithun

Post by swithun » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:23 pm

How about winscp.net. It's for windoze lu$ers and the screenshots look purdy. I use Putty for SSHing and it has command line tools for scp/sftp/ssh-agent.

Thanks for the password.

Do we have a whole server with multiple users to ourselves, or are we one user on a server shared by other people?