Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: bb tidying up thoughts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:16 pm 

All in all, I've spent about an hour trying to update the forest menu, and got nowhere! Maybe we can think about organising our electronic stuff better to make things easier to find?

* Clean up the forum. What can we do? I made a post about putting all minutes in one place. I'm thinking about having a single public "Minutes" forum where all working group minutes go. One's already there, but think it needs to be near the top of the page, more prominent etc. Moderators need to move minutes that get posted in the wrong place into this forum, and bitch about it. I am willing to be a moderator. And in the private forest wg section have a forest wg minutes board. It'd be a start. I use this forum every day and I can't find stuff. For a new person it must be completely overwhelming. Ideas?

* Menus, posters, and other digital files we make for the forest: Can we have one central place online where we upload them all? Instead of them being distributed all around the bb and on the Windows computer. Maybe an Uploads forum? A public uploads forum and a private uploads forum in the forest working group section?

* Can we make it explicit which parts are public and which parts are private? Maybe the forest working group section should contain all the private boards, and should contain only private boards so we don't get confused, and the section should be named "Forest Working Group -- Private Boards"

* There's probably more we could think of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:20 pm 

Good ideas. I'm into having one minutes forum near the top of the board for all public minutes. Any objections to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:33 pm 

I think the different sections of the forum should have longer, more descriptive names, to make it more explicit what they are for:

* Change "Action" to "Action Working Group"

* Cafe & Events => Cafe & Events Working Group

* And so on for each working group

Can all the stuff in the "Noticeboard" section be moved into the forest working group section, except The People's Forum? Because I think the night forum, eus forum and infoseed forum are all private, but not as private as the forest working group. The forest working group should be the section where we keep all private stuff, and name it "Forest Working Group -- Private Boards." Even though night, eus, infoseed are not actually forest wg, they still make more sense here I think. And add a subtitle to night forum "only visible to night managers who have been added" or something, just to be very clear.

* Could we remove all the sub-forums in each working group, and just have one forum per working group? Or, if that's a bad idea, could we add the missions of each forum as subtitles to the individual forums. Just so new people don't see a bunch of weird stuff like "The Cave" and other things they might not understand.

We have a lot of boards here to cope with the large amount of stuff that gets posted, I think the best we can do to make it easier for people is to organise and label it carefully. Reducing the number of boards would also be good if at all possible, but not if it would just make the remaining boards look crazy inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:54 pm 

chombee wrote:
Could we remove all the sub-forums in each working group, and just have one forum per working group?

I also think this would be good. Chombee is right that the bb ought to be simplified. Does anyone object to this change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:24 am 

Like the changes so far.