I gave up on trying to print at the forest today, it was easier to walk to my office, print it illicitly, walk back. I really could have done with Infoseed actually, but didn't feel comfortable going in there with the Infoseed regulars disappeared and Frank & friends using the place.
The office is totally fucked again computers-wise and it'll be several hours of work to get it back into shape, probably a one-man lone quest for some poor bastard, and probably only for it all to happen again.
We really need something like the Infoseed/Forest shared office space thing we were talking about. We need an office/meeting space that has some sort of collective vibe going, so we can have a collective of geeks who are in and out of there regularly and have an interest in keeping the technology working and the space tidy, and we avoid one-man crusades by me or Duncan to fix everything, or Blue and Bill to clean everything.
Are we going to do all the work below to fix the current office, it's a weekend or a day at least worth of work for one or two people, or shall we make a move on new collective office/meeting space instead, and try to get some others on board to help us?
I don't use the office much so I don't tend to know how well everything is working, but here is what I was able to see today that needs doing:
* The blue computer is fucked to the point of being almost useless. I couldn't even open up a PDF. Photoshop is not worth all this digital hell. Digihell. I say: forget Windows, run Ubuntu only. It may also need a new hard drive.
I know people like photoshop and accept that it's the best graphics tool, but maybe to save trouble with everything else we will just have to learn to use Linux graphics programs and make do.
I can think of two other possibilities right now. Get a mac. There's no space for it in the current office, but perhaps we could do with a third computer if we're moving the office. Macs don't crash and degrade and cause hell like Windows, and it seems you can get Photoshop for mac
. So we would have two PCs running Ubuntu and one Mac with Photoshop. We have the jukebox Mac already, but it's doing a good job where it is, so I'd propose buying a new one. There was a thread on some list I read recently about where to buy cheap macs. I can dig it up if people like this idea.
Or, I've heard that Pixel
, which costs money but runs on Linux, is good, perhaps a Photoshop equal. Is it true? If it is, should we just buy it?
* The grey computer currently has no working mouse. We need to buy a new mouse. If you have a chance somebody just go out and buy one from one of the shops near the forest. When I have time I'll try to concentrate on the other computer fixing tasks that aren't so easy. I hope it is only the mouse that's broken, and not some part of the computer, but the only way to find out is to buy a new mouse. To be safe, get a PS2 mouse, not a USB mouse
. USB mice sometimes make problems.
Aside from that, I think there are no problems with the grey computer? i.e. Ubuntu continues to work fine and the computer has not broken. I suggest wiping Windows off it and freeing up more space for Ubuntu.
* The printer/copier. I don't know if it will work 100% with Ubuntu. There does seem to be a driver, so we can try. I would prefer not to have to tackle this alone, any help? I have heard people are having problems just photocopying with it anyway, so maybe we should save ourselves some trouble and just buy a new one? If we do, make sure it's Linux-compatible, please don't just buy a random printer and leave us trapped with Windows forever.
* Networking: if we run Ubuntu only on both computers, then it will be no trouble to get the two networked together and filesharing.
* Printer sharing: if we run Ubuntu, and can get the printer to work 100% with one Ubuntu computer, then it should be a small step to get it printing from both computers.
* The Internet connection. I don't know what the problem with it is. I want to rip everything out, all servers, routers, modems, and replace them with one linux-inside modem-router. I seem to recall Duncan said he had bought us one of these. Where is it? Can we have it or shall we buy another one?
* In general, the office seems to be a bad environment for the computers. It's such a mess. People are drinking at the computers all the time, drinks getting left near them, spills. This just makes things break and creates mountains of computer-fixing work. I'd like the computers to have their own space with a nice big tidy desk and no junk around them, have another desk somewhere else for people to eat and drink at.