Forest BB

The digital grapevine of The Forest.
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Internet down today
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:01 pm 

It was out when I was at forest at 3 today. As far as I know it's still down. I heard milk looked at it after I left, learn anything milk?

What I saw was:

I could ping the server (using internal IP address) from the action room and get a response.

But I could not ssh to the server. ('Connection refused')

From the computer in the cafe I could not even ping the server ('Network unreachable')

I restarted all the routers etc. above the kitchen and hard-restarted the server. None of this helped.

I think responding to pings but not accepting ssh suggests that the server is not booting all the way. Which would mean somebody would have to connect a monitor to it to find out what's wrong. The soonest I can do this is tomorrow morning/early afternoon. I'll drop by. Doing this is an extreme pain in the ass, Duncan if you have that router please bring it in! Otherwise if this does turn out to be a server problem I am buying us another router.

Dunno why the difference between action room and downstairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:20 am 

Shit. That had been working very nicely for a long time. I'm afraid I'm out of town till tomorrow night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:15 pm 

I had a look yesterday and sure enough the server is not booting all the way. It is saying "Unable to complete PPPoE discovery." (The discovery times out.) So I guess this means it can't find the modem for some reason. The modem is connected to a switch which is connected to the server. All seems to be turned on and connected. Perhaps the server, the switch, the modem or any of the wires connecting them is broken. I didn't have time to start replacing hardware piece by piece.

This is pretty bad for people like kitchen managers and Ryan and Gareth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:23 pm 

In our new spirit of spending money first and asking questions later, let's get a wireless ADSL router, and replace those 4 boxes with one. What was the kind that you thought you could customise, Martin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:03 pm 

I agree. The replacing will be no more work than fixing what we already have (just for it to break again one day). I was gonna suggest the same but was waiting until I had a specific place to buy one from. But since you offer Swithun... It was a WRT54GL.

Careful though, I've heard recent models in the wrt54g line have less flash and ram. We'll be looking for the WRT54GL variant or the WRT54GS v4 as these are the ones that run linux. From the v5 onwards they switched to vxWorks and started cutting down stuff like flash and ram.

Wikipedia informs:

Quote:
The WRT54G is notable for being the first consumer-level network device that had its firmware source code released to satisfy the obligations of the GNU GPL. This allows programmers to modify the firmware to change or add functionality to the device. Several third-party firmware projects provide the public with enhanced firmware for the WRT54G

(it also has all the details about different models and what we can do with them).

I don't think this thing is a modem by the way, it's a router, we'd still need to connect a modem to it. Then, as I see it we need one cable going to the gold room, one to the office, and one to the action room. Those three locations can have their own switches or routers if they need them, right? There's no need to have 8 ethernet cables connected to switches and routers above the kitchen and nobody knowing where the hell they all go to or come from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 pm 

The PC can't find the modem over ethernet - this could be because the modem's dead, or the switch is dead, or one of the cables is faulty or loose. Get a crossover cable that's known to work and test with just that between the PC and modem.

Buying a WRT54GL to replace the PC with would be nice, but isn't actually anything to do with the problem at hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 am 

is the cafe back online yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:01 am 

No. It is baaaaaad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:00 pm 

I have just come in and fixed it.

Someone had unplugged EVERYTHING - microfilter, modem, phone splitter, downstairs phone extension - from the main phone socket, and just plugged in the kitchen phone directly.

As soon as this was plugged in again, the net came back up.

Please don't unplug things. I have tried to make this as reliable as possible but it still doesn't work when it's not plugged in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:24 pm 

Crazy. That definitely wasn't me by the way. Where is the main phone socket anyway?

So this pppoe discovery thing ... I'm trying to understand why it was failing. It turns out the cables and switch connecting the PC to the modem were fine. And as I recall the modem was turned on even if it wasn't plugged into the phone socket. So I guess the discovery fails if it can't get an internet connection? Or maybe the modem doesn't respond if it doesn't have an internect connection?

Anyway great work Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:12 pm 

My guess is that the modem doesn't respond if it hasn't got ADSL sync.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:25 pm 

um, that was me. I should have realized that was where the internet came it. i unplugged the phones because they were fucking with the kitchen phone and often unplugging everything helps. won't happen again. sorry all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:03 pm 

It's quite ridiculous how much trouble I went to trying to fix this and how much more I would have done if I hadn't run out of time. You just don't think to check if it's plugged in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:25 pm 

i am so sorry! I can't believe i didn't think. swith too. sorry sorry.