Due to a scheduling error on my part, I can't make the web meeting this evening, so I thought I'd bash out a quick list of thoughts on what I think is needing doing or looked at.
1) The site needs updating from Joomla version 1.0.13 to 1.5.1, the main reasons being for better security, usability and functionability. this could be done in 3-4 hours, but I'd need FTP access and preferably DB access so backups could be made (is phpmyadmin installed anywhere for web access to the DB?).
2) The site theme and content taxonomy needs a rehaul. So many people I've spoken to have said stuff along the lines of "just make it easy to use, kthxbi". The inconsistant aesthetics are confusing as is the navigational structure of the menu tree at the top. Too much information is being offered and that's overwhelming visitors. I'd suggest having links to the menu root articles ("About us", "Gallery", "Forest Music", etc) with a general section about bumf (some of the contents of the "What We Do" section could be used for this, with the rest of the info from there being integrated into the "About Us" section), then having links to section specific articles from these.
The theme (or template/skin in Joomla terminology IIRC) is built using XHTML/CSS (tutorials here
). I'd love to see a unified site theme on the Joomla site and the BB (phpBB tutorial here
). Also, there are methods of letting the user choose what theme they want to use. Why not have a default easy to use design by default and ask the forest community for additional themes (i'm sure there are tens of web dev persons around) which would them be accessable through a drop down menu or preference setting?
2b) Joomla doesn't do blogging very well. The Joomla dev team use WordPress integrated into Joomla for their blog
. The current way event info is added to the site (by publishing it on the front page then shifting it to a year-long archive page) is bad as none of the info is categorised, dated or easily searchable. I still dn't have a satesfactory solution for this one and is something I'd like to do some research on. Wordpress integration might be an option, but I'd like to look into how well integrated the content posted on the blog is with the rest of Joomla.
3) It would be cool if we could get the Forest Music flash player on the front page.
Intergration with the Forest Music's profile on Last.fm would be cool, after that gets sorted (not sure with the progress on that, not that it's a huge priority right now). Also, getting the Mac in the cafe on the network so that music listening data can be sent to Last.fm needs to be done.
Podcasting falls under the audio/music heading as well, but that's another matter for the moment.
4) phpBB needs updating
for the same reasons as the Joomla update.
5) Making it a lot easier for user to users to get events and content on Joomla without having to post a thread here begging somone to update info would be cool. The process for getting this done could be a lot clearer and maybe having articles set to open wiki-like access for collaborative documentation creation would be cool.
This could be made simple by linking the BB user/password authorisation with Joomla. IIRC there are modules out there that do that.
6) Getting embedded media (flv (youtube), etc) working is required. Shouldn't be to hard, just need to pick out the best extension for the job and install it.
That's all I can remember right now, GTG, apologies for not making the meeting again. Ryan promised to read this out in my voice which should hopfully have provided some amusement. TTFN.