grey-computer in the old office

martinmckenna

grey-computer in the old office

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:31 pm

hello

I put this computer back together ,on the ubuntu partition ive fix the broken packages . compiz was causing problems . i thought this may why the Nautilus was crashing when you click to open a folder . but its not . in meantime you can just do right click /open in new window . and its fine .

am thinking should we upgrade this computer to gusty 7.10 . may fix the problem . currently its only giving the option of a partial upgrade via update manager . so this may be dogey as! or should we wait for hardy and do a fresh install .

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:12 am

slackware ftw !
I love the bomb.

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 am

Distrowar - excellent. I was a big Slacker, but now I'm into Arch which is somewhere between Slackware and Gentoo. It is optimised more that Slackware (or Ubuntu), has a good package system, a simple layout of things like /etc, and includes all the build tools and headers. And it assumes you're not an idiot.

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:33 am

Crunchbang ftw.

But seriously, let us try and stick to just one distro for forest machines to keep confusion within control.

Hardy is not far off (less than a month I think), so wait for it to come out and then do a fresh install.

But if you want to get to the bottom of why nautilus is crashing, run nautilus from a terminal and make it crash and see if you get an error message in the terminal, then post it here.

Always disable compiz, in my opinion. It makes it way slower to login, it's buggy, and it has some seereeus user interface regressions (have you actually tried using the alt-tab in compiz, what the hell?) and all that for a totally unnecessary piece of software. I'm totally disappointed with the throw in everything and the kitchen sink approach that they've taken by adopting compiz. Metacity just works, and it does compositing now. Incrementalism is the way.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:13 am

the hurd ftw !

yeah ill try the console , next time am down in the office