phpBB2 to phpBB3 move, a.k.a upgrading the bb.

milk

phpBB2 to phpBB3 move, a.k.a upgrading the bb.

Post by milk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:57 pm

thoughts on getting this underway? beev - where were you up to again? a change over date so all the latest content would be backuped then transfered. goes phpBB2 have an "this site is under maintenance" mode for until the last moment? the phpBB3 setups tools include an upgrade path for all data (all? iirc.. to check). will check out the full process in time.

re a theme, beev mentioned a clone of the existing phpBB2 style. hopefully that's been improved since feb, would be good to use for familiarity, at least until someone makes a nice theme for it at the same time they do the new main site or we find something acceptable.

http://www.yinfor.com/blog/archives/200 ... art_1.html

http://tutorials.ausweb.com.au/web/Tuto ... -Tutorial/
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

neil

Post by neil » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 am

upgrade was done ages ago. our new versions is actually two versions out of date now! probably better to completely redo the upgrade, rather than upgrade the upgrade.

should be striaghtforward to migrate us all across.

what is iirc?

you wanna do this or shall i?

milk

Post by milk » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:19 pm

redoing the upgrade sounds a good plan. if you wanna do it that would be cool.

according to the upgrade guide the final path is relative;
11) After some test and I decided to replace the old phpBB 2 forum by this phpBB 3 forum
SSH to the server.

rm -f -r forum.g2soft.net
mv fourm3.g2soft.net forum.g2soft.net
so it should be no problem to do the db conversion then delete /bb/ then rename /phpBB3/ (with the new software, natch) to /bb/

do you have access to do a backup of the current bb db?

iirc = if i recall/remember correctly
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

beev

Re: phpBB2 to phpBB3 move, a.k.a upgrading the bb.

Post by beev » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 am

ok, this has been done. there may be some issues. the most likely is probably this:
Password conversion Due to the utf-8 based handling of passwords in phpBB3, it is not always possible to transfer all passwords. For passwords "lost in translation" the easiest workaround is to use the "forgotten password" function.
if anything else is amiss, post it here.

the old board was heavily customised. although a lot of the old mods are incorporated into the new version, it may not now do everything you have come to expect. anything missing that you miss, post it here.

enjoy! (hope this works as well as the last one!)

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:16 am

one thing to add is that - while the upgrade is reversible - any posts made in the interim will be lost. so lets all hope to fuck we don't have any serious probs with this one...

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:28 am

one more thing - the search database needs to be rebuilt. this will take a while and i don't have time tonight. need to go to bed. until it's sorted, searches will come up blank. goodnight!

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:04 am

is there going to be a link somewhere at the top of the bb page to go back to the Forests homepage?
It's like God's vagina!

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 am

search should be working ok now.

the manual for the new build is here:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

it's mostly for admins. the section for general users is here:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentat ... /index.php

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 am

I get notifictations about new BB posts on my email account and I've seen that instead of just a notice it gives the new posters email address too.
e.g. as Beev replied last it says on my email....new email from Beev@fluffybeever.com subject: new BB post (then name of the bb subject).

just thought i'd let you know
It's like God's vagina!

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:03 pm

the 'view new posts' button does not seem to remember what you haven't viewed. but it seems the board does, and keeps the unread topics flagged. this is probably better than what we had before.

beev

Post by beev » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:27 pm

cheers gandhiji!

chris

Post by chris » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:50 pm

can we go back to the old one?

this new one is way shit...
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:02 pm

What is shit about it? It is faster and more secure than the previous version. If there are things you don't like about it, I'm sure there are mods and configuration options that can make it behave more like the old version.

I think that in a week, everyone will have forgotten what the old one looked like.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:47 pm

i know ur right... change must be embraced... it is the hardest lesson...

the very hardest...
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

milk

Post by milk » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:21 pm

neil wrote:the 'view new posts' button does not seem to remember what you haven't viewed. but it seems the board does, and keeps the unread topics flagged. this is probably better than what we had before.
this is starting to get mighty annoying for me. maybe i'll look for an add-on to provide both options.

milk

Post by milk » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:56 pm

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9&t=788695

"Modification name: View or mark unread posts ...
Modification description: Adds a 'View unread posts' or 'You have no unread posts' link on the index page (and, for subsilver2, each other page). Also adds a 'Mark post as unread' link at the bottom of each post."

sounds like it'll restore the feature we're used to.

xabina

Post by xabina » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm sorry guys....
but I don't like the new BB!
Doesn't remember what we have viewed, there is no "unread posts", "new posts" is quite empty...
"If I can't dance I don't wanna be part of your revolution" Emma Goldman

milk

Post by milk » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:34 pm

can who ever has the power make me an admin on the bb and i'll install the afore mentioned addon.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 am

By the power of Greyskull, you have the power.

Are you logged in, Xabina, when the BB forgets what you've read and what you've not read? Ca plane pour moi.

chris

Post by chris » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 am

we need unread posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 am

Mine seems to be working perfectly, you sure its not people's account settings, have a look in your User Control Panel and see if anythings not as it should be.
It's like God's vagina!

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:41 am

chris wrote:we need unread posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't read yours for months.

One thing which I'd consider changing is the highlighting of admins' names. It doesn't give the appearance of democracy/consensus if some people have their names in a different colour. Either we hack the code, so that people whose default group is the admin group don't get their names highlighted. Or we change the default group of the admins to members. I don't think the default group affects anything.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm

i would like unread posts too , also not so important is being able to get the new theme , if a user so desires.
Heaven is a disaster

Lambchop , The Saturday option .

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:45 pm

this bb sucks. i'm missing all sorts of stuff because of the lack of unread posts. I don't know why we changed to this new system when the old one was working just fine. We could get to the Forest Home Page from it etc. This is just lame.

It needs fixing real soon OR we should go backwards asap. in my opinion/.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:55 pm

How can anyone not see what they haven't read? Don't you have yellow icons (instead of blue) beside each forum and thread that has posts you haven't read yet? And the 'view new posts' link brings up the latest posts. Between these two things, how is it possible to miss anything?

chris

Post by chris » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:03 pm

back to the old one.. it was great..

chris

Post by chris » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 pm

and the time is wrong, and there is no calender.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:24 pm

The time is funny. On the main board settings, it is currently BST, which is correct. But then when you look at your own settings, daylight saving is off. Turn it on, and you jump an hour forward.

James

Post by James » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:49 pm

the time was wrong on the old one to.
keep the new one i say

i found a great feature yesterday - if you hit reply to a thread, then start writeing a long reply but someone else gets in with a post before you finish your message, it warns you and gives you a chance to see their post and review your post. brilliant.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 am

we need the unread posts though, active topics isn't enough.
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

chris

Post by chris » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 am

this is a very annoying time to upgrade to something that doesnt work properly.

James

Post by James » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:10 am

and i've just noticed private messages have a history thing so you can see the whole conversation in one window. brilliant.
add this add on to restore a "unread topics" button but please don't go back.

James

Post by James » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:12 am

wait, does your pm inbox really only have a limit of 100 msgs? can we increase that? thanks

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:15 am

Until someone gets round to installing a mod which lets you do what you can do already, I've enabled user styles. This is better than bread and circuses.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:08 pm

1. There is nothing wrong with the new bb - it's working fine.

2. There is nothing the old one can do that this one can't.

3. If we let our bb get old and out of date, it's more likely to get hacked and we are then more likely to lose it completely.

4. There will be no going back.

5. Stop being such a bunch of grumpy cunts.

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:16 pm

neil wrote:2. There is nothing the old one can do that this one can't.
This is not true. The old "view unread posts" used to let you see a list of every topic which had posts you hadn't read in it. This was great. You could bring it up, see immediately what topics had changed and just open a tab for each topic. If you'd read everything, the page would be empty.

The new "view new posts" doesn't do this.

Now, to catch up on everything you have to start on the forum index, go into each forum that's marked red individually, and then go through all the topics in each one. You can't see it all at a glance.

Aside from this, the new version seems fine.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm

i mean potentially. we have the view unread posts mod and i will install it soon, when i get a chance.

other than that, here's another cool new feature. if u want to jump straight to the new posts in a topic, click on the little yellow icon (see below) instead of the topic name. that's really handy!

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:37 pm

here's the pic that didn't attach to the last post. seems tiffs aren't allowed. should we change that? any reason why we shouldn't attach tiffs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Okay. Happy to do the mod install if you don't have time, I'd need the access details for the hosting.

The default theme is now subsilver2, per the other thread.

I suggest leaving tiff attachments disabled, or people may upload stuff straight from the scanner without realising the files are huge, and clog things up for everyone. There really shouldn't be a need to upload tiffs.

neil

Post by neil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:59 pm

martin has changed the logo image on the subsilver2 theme (i think, martin?) i've linked it to the forest homepage. i've also linked the phpBB logo on the prosilver theme to the homepage, but i'm not getting into trying to change how it looks. i'll leave that to the graphic designers.

of course the whole thing could use a makeover.

the complication with having more than one theme is that when changes have to be made (such as mods or updates), they often need to be individually tailored to each theme. what we've just done is a good example. the forest logo could be slipped into the one theme easily but not the other. this can make mods & upgrades far more complex than they need be. so lets try to get one good forest theme and stick with it. and lets keep it fairly simple!
Martin wrote:I suggest leaving tiff attachments disabled, or people may upload stuff straight from the scanner without realising the files are huge, and clog things up for everyone. There really shouldn't be a need to upload tiffs.
cool

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 am

Unread posts is back.

And for the record: ye gods, phpBB mods are made of fail.

Half an hour of following manual editing instructions, that could have been done in milliseconds with a simple patch file.

Should we ever need to apply that mod to a bare install again, there is now a patch file in ~/view_unread.diff on the server.

milk

Post by milk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:46 am

swithun wrote:By the power of Greyskull, you have the power.
although this issue is sorted, while i can see the "Moderator Control Panel" i can't see the "Administration Panel" (which is where you install mods). might someone be able to look at/sort this for moi? danke.

edit; actually, forget that, just found that if i go to a users profile i get "Administrate user" which gives me a relogin screen that takes me to the Admin section. ah well, sorted.

edit2; oh, and there's that handy link right at the bottom.. *facepalm*

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:01 am

Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me the day I held aloft my magic sword and said... By the power of Greyskull!

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:19 pm

clicking on the Forest icon at the top left of the bb page does not take you to thre forest home page, it just refreshes the bb page. thought i'd let you know.
It's like God's vagina!

neil

Post by neil » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:21 pm

fucks sake! something has been changed there, cos i checked it before & it was working. i'll sort it later. thanks.

Martin

Post by Martin » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Neil, maybe you changed it on the prosilver templates before I switched the default back to old skool subsilver2?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:03 am

I can't read prıvate messages since the change. I get some error sayıng no authorization or something.

beev

Post by beev » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:19 pm

strange. can u say exactly what it's saying and what you're doing when it says it?

anyone else had this?

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:22 pm

I have an unread message.
With me it simply isn't there when I click on 1 new message.
Pep Up The Turmoil

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Is it because you both have more than 100 messages in your inbox? I had this problem. There is some link where you can look at messages that can't fit in your inbox. Deleting stuff helps too. Your message is probably from me, JB. It is vital that you read it.