Computer top priorities

chombee

Computer top priorities

Post by chombee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:29 pm

I don't have time but if you have some time and some computer skills here are some important things that nee doing:

* Put in place a way to easily backup the music on the laptop's external hard drive.

More than once in recent years we've lost all the music due to a hard drive failure and had to recover it from a backup, I see no reason to assume this won't happen again. With the current situation you have to actually come into the forest with your laptop and sit there while the backup happens. This means that a backup gets done about once a year. I suppose you could unplug the hard drive and take it home with you for a day instead.

I think it'd be good to get the laptop an internet connection (last I checked the wireless card it had was gone), get it a static IP, and run sshd on it, then we can make backups remotely with rsync. Backups will be much easier to do so should happen more often. As a side effect we would be able to run a "Now playing at the forest..." web page (which I have already written) off the laptop.

* The public internet computer in the front room is not turning on. Is it dead? Or is the power switch just broken? Someone needs to open it up and take a look.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

chombee

Re: Computer top priorities

Post by chombee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Screenshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ChaoticReality

Re: Computer top priorities

Post by ChaoticReality » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:46 pm

chombee wrote:I think it'd be good to get the laptop an internet connection (last I checked the wireless card it had was gone), get it a static IP, and run sshd on it, then we can make backups remotely with rsync. Backups will be much easier to do so should happen more often.
Sadly, I don't think our internet could support this. We have a limited usage cap already, as far as I understand and moving several hundred gigabytes over a 256k upstream would take forever and kill the rest of the net.
chombee wrote: As a side effect we would be able to run a "Now playing at the forest..." web page (which I have already written) off the laptop.
This, however, is a nifty idea. I think I know where the dongle for the laptop is so I'll try and get sshd running (it should be installed but I think the OS upgrade might have disabled it).

chombee wrote: * The public internet computer in the front room is not turning on. Is it dead? Or is the power switch just broken? Someone needs to open it up and take a look.
Milk posted elsewhere that it was a dead PSU. Duncan said he might have a spare so I think that is being looked into.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...