IT Team to-do list

milk

IT Team to-do list

Post by milk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:59 pm

in an attempt to organise the assembly, fixing and other setup of computers for use in The Forest, i'm putting a call out to for those interested in joining a confederation of IT types who have the occasional time and interest available to help.

are you interested? please comment bellow so i can pm/e-mail out occasional action updates.

do you know of a friend, forum or list through which Edinburgh IT volunteer help (specifically with Ubuntu knol) might be found? please post there with a link to this thread :)

for those coming here from such a source, please check out http://3.ly/forestguide and/or http://theforest.org.uk for more on The Forest as an organisation.

the most recent to-do list:

* setup a private file share between the admin machines

* build a permanent second admin machine from the parts available in the Action Room. maybe the Dell we found on the street will be a good start? also, set this up software wise and move it to the Admin Office.

* get all 4 glossy black tower machines in the Action Room running well. two have firewire and for potential video editing.

* setup a server box for file storage and more

* get 2 or 3 of the Sun boxes setup as basic web browsing machines

* setup a box to go next to in the café sound area for audio/video recording, streaming (ustream.tv or similar) and playback, karaoke and more.

from details of the above can be found here, there or in other BB threads.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

renaclerican

Re: IT Team formation

Post by renaclerican » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi there!

Since this thread is about forming an IT team, shouldn't the roadmap focus on the steps required to achieve that rather than things that need to be done now?

One thing that would be very nice with having an IT team would be to establish some clear roles (i.e. Have some people responsible for certain things). This would help people know who to talk to when there is a problem or an IT need. Some things I can think of on the top of my head: Documentation, managing hardware stock (testing pieces, storing surplus, keep inventory), regular software maintenance, backup, training staff to use the computers, managing users and piviledges.

Also we could have a rotating emergency IT support schedule, where people can list times where it's ok to contact them by phone / text to solve urgent problems.

Anyways, just some ideas I'm throwing out in the wild.
* setup a box to go next to in the café sound area for audio/video recording, streaming (ustream.tv or similar) and playback, karaoke and more.
We could install Ubuntu Studio on that one.

http://ubuntustudio.org/ "Ubuntu Studio is a multimedia editing/creation flavor of Ubuntu. It's built for the GNU/Linux audio, video, and graphic enthusiast or professional."
* get 2 or 3 of the Sun boxes setup as basic web browsing machines
Would they be set as dumb terminals?

milk

Post by milk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:41 am

One thing that would be very nice with having an IT team would be to establish some clear roles (i.e. Have some people responsible for certain things). This would help people know who to talk to when there is a problem or an IT need. Some things I can think of on the top of my head: Documentation, managing hardware stock (testing pieces, storing surplus, keep inventory), regular software maintenance, backup, training staff to use the computers, managing users and piviledges.
regular tasks would be great to get covered as well. people come and go and have more or less availability to help out depending, so at least a list of things to consider would be great and then people can take on a role to coordinate and organise certain tasks.
Also we could have a rotating emergency IT support schedule, where people can list times where it's ok to contact them by phone / text to solve urgent problems.
sounds good. i've been called on occasion by the admins for support, but a more distributed method for this would be better.
We could install Ubuntu Studio on that one.
plan.
Would they be set as dumb terminals?
yeah, i don't think they're that speedy, so something nice, basic and preferably hard to break would be great.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

jimmy83

Post by jimmy83 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi,

Let me know If I can help you with any computer related issues.

I would luv to take sum time out for Forest. Its just am amazing place.

I am an IT engineers (mostly deals with network and system issues)

Cheers,

Amjad

milk

Post by milk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 am

might you be able to come along during the day on friday the 8th?

check this thread for issues needing worked on. might you have any experience of setting up a user/file server using linux?