she's hot and pink and currently live

Stephen

she's hot and pink and currently live

Post by Stephen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi there, thanks and praise must again go Nick flavin and the EUS, there are now two working old I macs, i write this message from one of them, installed in the action room. They seem fine, lots of someoneelses stuff etc, could do with an internal clean, also we could probably do with some usb keyboards and mice. One of the imacs looks like it is running an older version of the operating system, neil come and have a look sometime. But that is not all, there are also 3 pc towers and two monitors. These are not as of yet tested but apparently work, they do however need reformated and linux installed on them. We could potentialy have six working computers in the action room, i think i may cry. love to you all.

milk

Re: she's hot and pink and currently live

Post by milk » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:29 pm

WAAAAAIIIII!!!

i'll try find an Ubuntu install cd and pop in at some point soon unless someone gets there before me.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Can we make the first priority to get one of the PCs into the office to replace the dodgy Shuttle machine, please.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 am

I think one of them for the office is the plan, i guess take the best one, they are not great machines though.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Stephen wrote:...they are not great machines though.
how very dare you
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:31 pm

How does access to the action room currently work? If you don't want these machines to end up fucked like the last batch did, we need to lock it down.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

milk

Post by milk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Can we make the first priority to get one of the PCs into the office to replace the dodgy Shuttle machine, please.
the new one has arrived, but a replacement for the second admin computer is next on the list.
How does access to the action room currently work? If you don't want these machines to end up fucked like the last batch did, we need to lock it down.
new security cables would be good. Swith dropped off 8 usb extension cables which means we can secure the pc boxes via some means to the back of the desk so that people don't end up kicking the shit out of them again.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

neil

Post by neil » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 pm

The pink one is lovely :oops:

I was thinking of taking away the G4 PowerMac. No one is using it and it will only get fucked/RAMraided etc. The keyboard has already been swiped. It'll still be available if it's needed, but I'll take it home for safe keeping.

milk

Post by milk » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:50 am

would it make the imacs run quicker if ppc xubuntu were installed on them?

chombee

Post by chombee » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:13 pm

Are the iMacs running OS X right now? Having tried installing linux on an old mac before (I think it was a G3, not an imac) I don't recommend it. The problem seemed to be that old macs are a different processor architecture from PCs (called PowerPC I think), and since not very many people try to run linux on a mac it's not very well supported. Ubuntu (and therefore, I think, XUbuntu) dropped official support for PPC ages ago cause it was loads of hassle to keep it working and only a tiny portion of Ubuntu users were on PPC machines. Not worth the hassle was my conclusion.

It might be a different story for iMacs compared to the G3 that I attempted? But I don't think so, they're macs from roughly the same era.

So assuming the iMacs currently have a working Apple OS on them, I'd concentrate any efforts on getting linux working on the machines that currently are not working at all.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

neil

Post by neil » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Chombee speaks wisdom. These Macs are G3s. You might be able to get Linux to run on them, but it would be a hassle and they would run slower. The fastest thing you can run on the lovely pink one is Tiger (which it has already). Unfortunately, the other one (garish blue) won't run Tiger. It would run Panther but that isn't supported anymore and wouldn't really be worth it as things like Java & Flash wouldn't work properly. That one is not a lot of use to us as a computer. Probably more useful as materials for an art project, or as a gift to someone who's happy using OS 9.

neil

Post by neil » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Just remembered - I need to check the specs on garish blue. If got upwards of 400MHz & 256MB ram it might be able to take Fedora. If less than that, we could try non-graphic Fedora, but that would be of questionable usefulness...

milk

Post by milk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:49 am

turns out there are official builds for PPC. i might gie a livecd a spin to test the stability and speed comparison for my own knowledge, though warning heeded :)