donating some computers

rachel

donating some computers

Post by rachel » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:54 am

I've got some old computers that I can donate to the Forest if you want them. They'd be fine for basic email, web browsing, word processing, etc. They're just the bases, no monitor, but I might be able to ask around for some spare monitors if you'd need them.

If you'd like them, let me know what OS you'd like on them, by default I'd stick Ubuntu on, but if you have a preference for something else then let me know.

Rachel

milk

Re: donating some computers

Post by milk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 am

hey rachel, i believe i vaguely know yourself through Techmeetup?

computer donations would be appreciated, and Ubuntu (or Xubuntu if the spec isn't that hot) would be braw.

our main problem currently is a lack of an IT Coordinator for The Forest (or just anyone with the appropriate time and skills) and the resultant hardware and network set-up nightmare we accordingly have, with plans for basic web browsing boxes to separate usage of a lesser importance from the higher spec machines, and to get a file server on the go to lessen the "save it to the desktop" syndrome and make a start on a basic document repository, both falling by the wayside..

so, essentially, thanks very much for the offer, working machines would be good, but we don't actually have anyone to set them up at the moment i'm afraid >_<;;

i spoke with nix recently and we discussed writing up a volunteer job spec to frame the opportunity for some interested party, which i would pimp to the Techmeetup crowd or post on volunteerscotland.org.uk..
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

rachel

Post by rachel » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:57 pm

milk wrote:hey rachel, i believe i vaguely know yourself through Techmeetup?
yes I believe you're right!, will look out for you at the Mar meetup
computer donations would be appreciated, and Ubuntu (or Xubuntu if the spec isn't that hot) would be braw.
okeydoke, will set them up with Ubuntu/xubuntu. My band is playing a gig at the Forest on Sat Mar 13th, so I might aim to have them done by then, so I can piggyback the transport.
our main problem currently is a lack of an IT Coordinator for The Forest (or just anyone with the appropriate time and skills) and the resultant hardware and network set-up nightmare we accordingly have, with plans for basic web browsing boxes to separate usage of a lesser importance from the higher spec machines, and to get a file server on the go to lessen the "save it to the desktop" syndrome and make a start on a basic document repository, both falling by the wayside..

so, essentially, thanks very much for the offer, working machines would be good, but we don't actually have anyone to set them up at the moment i'm afraid >_<;;

i spoke with nix recently and we discussed writing up a volunteer job spec to frame the opportunity for some interested party, which i would pimp to the Techmeetup crowd or post on volunteerscotland.org.uk..
good idea. The other thing that might be worth trying is putting it on James' website (think he's called James, he's at TechMeetup and he was promoting another volunteering website a month or two ago)

I don't have any free time to volunteer myself but I might be able to help out with answers to techie/networking questions.

Rachel

Huw

Post by Huw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:28 pm

If you guys want a hand setting them up I've got some free time. Not much, but I should be able to offer a bit of help.

Huw