remote printing

chris

remote printing

Post by chris » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:28 am

hey!

is there a way that i can remotely print from my laptop?

this would be great! maybe it already exists?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

milk

Re: remote printing

Post by milk » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:17 pm

i know people have connected their laptops to the network at the forest and printed, but i've never set the printer up on any machine so i don't know the ins and outs, but i imagine it shouldn't be too hard if others have done it.

tips anyone?

by remote, do you mean from inside or out of the building?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Jane

Post by Jane » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:37 pm

talk to my husband and/or martinmckenna
"We all tend to idealise kindness and tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nutcases." Sebastian Horsley

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed May 12, 2010 7:06 am

Piece of piss. Have set it up for Catalina and Cornelia recently.

From your laptop, go to the control panel and then the printer dialog. You should have an option to add a network printer. Your laptop will then scan the network and should discover the bizhub. When it does, select it and it should download the necessary driver for you.

Takes ~5mins. If you are unsure I can do it for you one day this week. Let me know.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chris

Post by chris » Wed May 12, 2010 9:21 am

can i do this from my flat?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

milk

Post by milk » Wed May 12, 2010 12:35 pm

while making things easy using technology is for the win, could randoms abuse this from the cafe? is there any way to set-up a simple password (that might change every couple of months) that we could stick on the wall in the Action Room?

or should we just wait and see if anything like 1000 pages of goatse turn up in the printed pages tray at some point?

i honestly don't know - balancing effort and process bottlenecks with security... pptthhh...
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Wed May 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Chris: No, you need to be connected to the forest network when you want to setup/use the printer. It is probably possible to set something up so you could print to it from home but that would involve a lot of faffing about with port-forwarding and making the printer internet-facing, which is as bad idea.

Milk: That's probably a good idea. I'll look to see what options the printer has for restricting access to new clients/
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...