We Have Run Out Of Internet

ChaoticReality

Re: We Have Run Out Of Internet

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 am

Have posted about it here
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

swithun

Post by swithun » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:31 am

On their way.

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am

Great!
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Popped in the cafe on my way home about an hour ago and the wifi was broken.

Got it resolved pretty quickly but it appeared as if someone had been trying to hard reset the router?? If so, please don't do this! Could also have been caused by the fusebox switch thing.

Either way, new routers arrive tomorrow and I'll try and get them running in the afternoon.
Mike

Dawnsio 'mlaen i'r gwres prynhawn a rwy'n addo erbyn yfori byddai wedi mynd, hwyl fawr i pawb, hwyl fawr i pawb...

chombee

Post by chombee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:58 pm

People have been frequently resetting the router by uplugging it and plugging it back in again, whenever the wireless goes down. It sometimes brings it back temporarily. It's inevitable that people will do this if the wireless goes down. I think there'd have to be a label on the router explaining what else to do instead.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Ok, yeah, that makes sense. I did once put have a on the plug sticker saying "Do no touch me" but everyone ignored it :(
Mike

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 pm

It's one of those situations where people know a little and so feel they can ignore that, so they need an explanation as to why it's a bad idea, annoyingly.

I'm having my own problem; I thought I'd lob it in here in case any geeks have time to think about it. Recently got a new laptop, and it's all pretty swish apart from a wireless issue: on most wireless connections, I'll suffer random disconnects, and the usual error reported is that "the default gateway is not available". It usually takes resetting the connection to make it come back. It's better or worse with different routers: Forest's is particularly problematic, with a connection rarely lasting more than a minute. I discovered through some Googling that this problem is a bit notorious with Windows 7 (it happens across different makes of network adapter, but couldn't find any definite solutions. I've tried setting the IP address by hand, turning various functions off, and reinstalling the network adapter, but not of it has worked. So I thought I'd ask here if anyone has time to make a suggestion. No worries if not.

I'm on a Toshiba Satellite C660 and the adapter is a Realtek8188CE.

ChaoticReality

Post by ChaoticReality » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Easiest solution is to use a proper operating system...
Mike

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I'll install Ubuntu for you if you want. If it is a windows problem, that should fix it. You can try out ubuntu with a live CD or USB to test first. I can do this with you in the cafe some time. Let me know if you want to

HGiles

Post by HGiles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Oh, you guys . . .

You're right though, maybe this is the prompt I needed to go Linux.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:03 pm

dual boot.

easy to set up, and best of both. i run windows 7 and ubuntu, when i occasionally have a problem with one (usually ubuntu), i use the other until its resolved :)

x x xx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.