exploading toilet

Front of House, garden etc.
Shannon

exploading toilet

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Someone used the blue paper towel in the upstairs toilet last night. I think it blocked it up. This morning when we got in the toilet, hallway and vollie cupboard were covered in water and other toilet things.

Some of the stuff from the vollie cupboard wasn't worth saving. I binned it. There are a lot of wet clothes. They are in a plastic bag in the hall next to the cupboard. If someone wanted to be so kind as to wash them, that would be great. If they aren't gone by tomorrow, they should also be binned.

It was not a pretty mess to have to deal with upon arrival. I feel strongly that only folks with disabilities and on-shift volunteers should use that toilet. What can we do to make sure of that?

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:27 pm

elctronic key fob door lock!
It's like God's vagina!

swithun

Post by swithun » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:34 pm

I'll come and pick them up soon if no one has beaten me to it.

We could have a toilet key. The knife worked well until the vacant/engaged thingy got worn down. I don't know how well disabled people could manage a key, but in the rare cases that they want to use the loo, someone could unlock the door first. And a Yale type lock that locked itself would keep the door locked by default.

With fewer people using it, it should be easier to keep it stocked with soap and paper. It's likely that there was no toilet roll last night.

On a similar theme, is it just me who gets pissed off when not-on-shift volunteers put their crap in the volunteer cupboard? I don't say anything because I'm not sure what the policy is, and I think that people should know how annoying it is without being told. I'd be happy to make a poster.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm

Yes, the volunteer cupboard is for on-shift volunteers. It also isn't for free shop finds that you may or may not ever come back to pick up. I wouldn't have had so many wet clothes to go through and dispose of if the cupboard wan't piled three feet high. A sign would be very good. A key for the toilet would also be good. I have no problem opening it for the odd parent with child or disabled person.

Also Swithun: I think there is kitchen laundry if the bandit is up for it??

graeme

Post by graeme » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:41 pm

The upstairs toilet door now has a lock.
There are two keys, one on the spanner and one in the key drawer(it is attached to a brass door handle ring) in the kitchen.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:47 am

You are a star!!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:45 am

not sure about on-shift vollies only using the cupboard. if there is a party or something it's nice to have a space to put your coat and junk to ensure it doesn't get stolen. i think it is a kind service to provide vollies with - a place to stash stuff in safety.

i'm not so keen to discourage.

swithun

Post by swithun » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:40 pm

I can see the benefit of having a place where volunteers can keep their stuff safe, and it is another benefit of volunteering.

But I don't know all/most of the volunteers and having strangers take the key out of the kitchen is not what I want when I'm working there and might need the keys for getting food. Last time I asked someone why they wanted the key, they said they had been working here for 4 years and weren't very happy about being asked.

The good intention of providing a cloakroom for volunteers gets abused by people who want the key every time the feel like having a fag, or want to leave their crap there until the next time they think about picking it up. Plus, I feel my things are less safe in there when so many people can go in and out.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:01 am

Plus, I feel my things are less safe in there when so many people can go in and out.
This is very true. Ryan - I do remember you saying that you would never leave your stuff in the volly cupboard!

It would be nice if there was some middle ground...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:54 am

i wouldn't leave my stuff in there because i don't have a key.... not because i think it is unsafe.

1) move the key to somewhere else harder to get your hands on?

2) find a middle ground.

people should have a space to put their belongings.

extraterrestial dan, however, should not. is that middle ground