Environmental Arts.. Waste..

Forest is people. People is you. You is us.
Danny

Environmental Arts.. Waste..

Post by Danny » Mon May 23, 2005 1:43 am

I'd be well up for getting together with anyone who wants to explore the " Waste " or " Wasted " through one art form or another. Myself and a few friends are messing around with this at the moment through writing, drawing, collaging and music. We'd love to meet you. Especially if you have software that is good for making posters with..
I like using waste fliers, paper and advertising materials to make things right now. I like the idea of using all of Edinburgh's waste fliers, posters etc. to turn into useful art of some kind. I like the idea of putting posters or art things up in town where club posters usually go in order to send a message to the public to say " Hey! Why do people only ever advertise commercial things? Why not advertise important concepts? " Using waste fliers to make arty stuff could be a good way of advertising environmental issues in a more subtle way to the usual magazines and pamphlets. One basic thing we could do is advertise the telephone no. that you call that stops you getting all the junk mail.
Maybe we could use the back wall opposite the re-cycling space as a place to experiment with ideas. I spoke to Marcin from Total Kunst ( the Folk who decide what goes in the gallery or on display in the forest ) about the idea a while ago and he said it was cool to re-decorate downstairs.

Jane

Re: Environmental Arts.. Waste..

Post by Jane » Mon May 23, 2005 12:09 pm

Danny wrote: Maybe we could use the back wall opposite the re-cycling space as a place to experiment with ideas. I spoke to Marcin from Total Kunst ( the Folk who decide what goes in the gallery or on display in the forest ) about the idea a while ago and he said it was cool to re-decorate downstairs.
marcin is responsible for the gallery space, not for downstairs.

we've all been spending hours&hours recentely sorting out the basement space, and anyone who wants to come in and help paint/sand/plaster/clean would be very much appreciated. however, please don't just come down and start re-decorating and experimenting ideas. if people have ideas for designs on the basement walls, the thing to do is draw up a sketch of what you have planned and give it to sasha. leave it in my pigeonhole if you can't find her and i'll pass it on.

x

mark

Post by mark » Thu May 26, 2005 11:50 am

i like waste.

once i was wasted, it was like it was me that was the refuse, the people walked by and it was me that was the trash in the curb.

i would like to explore this further, but for me i would need to use a digital medium.

i like to point out that 'commercial things' are 'important concepts'.

basically if it cant be sold, then whats the point? everyone has a right to earn a living. we need to, to survive in this hostile unforgiving world of waste.

if there was less junk mail, then lots of people would be out of work, the designers and the postmen and the garbage collectors. this would lead to unemployment and poverty. and besides lots of my best purchases have been made from very useful 'what you call junk male'. or from unsolicited telephone calls - how else would you get double glazing? my brother he became religious becaouse of it! now he is much happier..

Danny

Commercial things

Post by Danny » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:41 am

Hey!
I'm not knocking commercial things, of course I'm aware of the fact that people need to earn a living. I think that not many people are aware of the option to have no junk mail. I think it's fair enough for those that aren't that bothered, or find it to be useful.

mark

Post by mark » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:36 am

interesting point.

remember though, that one persons junk mail, is another persons mail.

it all comes clean in the wash. my favourite recent junk mails, are:

2 for 1 pizza deal! great!

free double glazing deal (no use to me, already got it! saves a fortune in heating and insulation bills every year, but my mum needs it, so its perfect).

free popcorn when i go and see star wars more than 4 times at vue cinema.

now, if i didnt get junk mail, i would not be able to take advantage of these great deals, would i? and then where would i be?

and yes, thats right about everone needing to earn a living, if your not earning, then you should be learning, and if your not doing either than what the fuck are you doing?
the pen is mightier than the word