wierdo fuck poster - please make!

beev

wierdo fuck poster - please make!

Post by beev » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:55 pm

Poster dudes! Please make this poster...

You need the picture of William Burroughs, which you will find here. Maybe there should be a title, "William says:"

William has a speech bubble saying:
Any body of men will be found to contain ten to fifteen percent of incorrigible troublemakers. In fact, most of the misery on this planet derives from this 10 percent. It is useless to try and reeducate them, since their only function is to harm and harass others.
Then: (this could be either inside or outside of the speech bubble)
At the Forest, it is important that the space is as open and inclusive as possible. However, we feel strongly that our staff (including volunteers) have the right to work without being subjected to any kind of negative or threatening behaviour. Also, members of the general public should not feel threatened by other people. This means the space and the people in it should be treated with respect at all times.

If anyone feels they have been treated unfairly by a member of our staff, the only kind of correspondence we will enter into is that which is rational and considered - preferably in writing. Working in the Forest environment is never easy, and we fully expect our staff will occasionally make mistakes, and that people may feel aggrieved as a result. However, making a member of our staff feel uncomfortable in any way is strictly forbidden in this space.

Anyone who does make a member of staff feel uncomfortable, for whatever reason, will be asked to leave. If you are asked to leave, please do not stay around and make someone's life a misery by arguing and refusing to accept their decision. Our staff's decisions must be respected as they are the people responsible for the Forest at the time when they are working.

Anyone resisting a request to leave the Forest will increase their chances of being permanently barred form the premises. Barrings are decided upon by a team of experienced Forest volunteers and are not negotiable, except in writing.

If you have any complaint about the Forest, its staff or how you have been treated you should put it in writing and send it to us. We promise to discuss it at a meeting, and if you ask for a reply we will write back to you.

info@theforest.org.uk

The Forest
3 Bristo Place
Edinburgh
EH1 1EY
Cool?

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:04 pm

What do people think of this one? There is a lot of text there. I don't know if the people it is aimed at do much reading. But I suppose it is trying to express something a bit more complex than the usual 'dont dis the staff' notice. Even the weirdofucks get treated with respect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:01 pm

It's good. But maybe it needs to have a clearer headline, something like 'Don't hassle the staff' or I don't know I can't think of anything else, and have the William says in smaller case below it or in right hand column
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Agree with Dan. The "William says" is unnecessary, it could be just deleted.

It's good. I think instead of saying "the staff" etc. it should always say "the volunteers" just to emphasise that that's what we are. Even the KMs are actually volunteering half the time when they're contributing.

Also, it is not just aimed at the incorrigibles, we are also writing to the others, who will read this poster and judge us right or wrong by it. Hence it's good that it has so much carefully worded philosophy in there.

Good work.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Been looking at some nice Burroughs quotes:
William Burroughs wrote:A functioning police state needs no police.
Be just and if you can't be just, be arbitrary.
Which came first the intestine or the tapeworm?
We probably shouldn't use
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

beev

Post by beev » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:48 pm

My view:

The point of this poster is not that WFs will read it prior to being annoying. That is far too much optimism for hardened realists such as ourselves. The point is that you can point it out to them once they are causing a problem and refusing to leave.

Nobody really wants to read a sign like this, because it is depressing and therefore does not need to be particularly eye-catching or in a prominent place. It just needs to be available to any staff who are having trouble with someone.

Maybe the quote should be a bit smaller, and the main text a big bigger. Someone who's a bit drunk ought to be able to read it!

beev

Post by beev » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:05 am

On second thoughts, I think this poster is good as it is.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:44 am

No one could decide which was the best quote to use, so I've done 3 posters which can be used in different situations.

Which came first, the intestine or the tapeworm?
Good for parasites who want something for nothing.

A functioning police state needs no police.
If some toerag says that we will need the fuzz to get rid of them.

Be just, and if you can't be just, be arbitrary.
When someone is pissing you off for no particular reason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swithun

Post by swithun » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:19 pm

I thought I hadn't finished them, but in fact I had. I saw a 'William says' one up, but feel free to print out some of the 3 PDFs above.