Engineer needed maybe on 4th July

Action room, screen printing, darkroom, Bristo Hall, Cave, AV equipment
swithun

Engineer needed maybe on 4th July

Post by swithun » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:31 pm

This dude was in last night. He wanted to perform on Wednesday 4th July. I put his band down for 9-11pm. Kim is doing 78s 7-8, so that leaves an hour for them to set up. They have lots of synths to plug into the stage. I said that we could provide an engineer to help them. I don't think they have played here before, and it isn't the usual mic and guitars.

He didn't know his phone number at the time, but he will come in again and put it in the book.

I don't think it will be loud, but with the discussion on working with bands to minimise sound check disruption, this would be an opportunity.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:18 pm

The guys came by the office, so I asked them to mail me their requirements.
Can this be arranged?

Hi, there.
I 'm Pan from Keydick Floppydon, we talked earlier this evening.

We are a five-piece band and we have a gig planned for next Wednesday 4 July ( 9-11pm). We would like to ask if there is any chance to have the following equipment:

1.DI's (at least 3) for keyboards, acoustic guitar and electronic drumset, with XLR cables
2.Microphones (at least 4) with stands
3.Bass amp
4.Guitar amp (if it's impossible to have one we can bring an old one of us, though it's not very good)

We would also be grateful if there was a sound engineer at the mixing board. (Are there any effects like reverb and delay on the mixer? Just wondering, cause we'll probably use them.)

We've never played in the forrest cafe before, so we'll try to come earlier (after 8 ) to try the equipment and maybe do a brief souncheck.

I would apreciate if you send us an e-mail with the equipment that you could possibly provide (or not) on stage, before the weekend, so that we could find alternative solutions.

Many thanks
Pan
Pep Up The Turmoil

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:30 am

tell them what they see is what they get.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:39 am

What does that mean?

Do we actually have a list of equipment somewhere? It would be useful to be able to pass it onto musicians...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:15 pm

on the events page there is a list. but it is scatty because people steal and break things. whatever is on the stage or by the decks is what we have. we don't provide extra amps etc.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanks.

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:05 pm

These are good people, they've stepped out of their way to ensure their night runs smoothly, it's shabby to tell them we've got next to fuck all, sort your own shit out.
Sound clearly needs addressing, as to how, I'm unsure, I am sure there needs to be a position, it's a big issue and it needs to be raised
At the moment we only seem capable of holding singer/songwriter guitar and mike nights.
This might be an age-old, ongoing problem but it's urgent.
It tedious enough working out fresh euphenisms for 'acoustic singer/songwriter' for the events listings thrice weekly.
All artists warrant more respect than we afford them, what we can't afford are callous, offhand attitudes whereby decent individuals who are trying to operate a little outside normal bounds are treated with indifference.
I'll write back and explain our limits and PM Nix to see if he wants to work sound on the night.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:06 pm

Okay, here's the latest state of affairs, anyone know what exactly we can offer on the ight?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dai, hi, I hope you're fine.I'm Pan from keydick Floppydon.Just read your e-mail.

Well, it would be nice to have at least some of the equipment, like the DI's and microphones, but since there is no permanent equipment in the forrest we'll try to do our best with it.

I just wonder if we could borrow some things, like the bass amp, or microphones from the studio in the basement and return them after the gig. Is there anyone we could talk about it?

Otherwise, we'll try to ask some other people, though it would be a bit difficult to carry a lot of things ourselves.

In any case, tell me if there is anyone who could help with the equipment and possibly the sound issues. We'll try to come earlier to check.
Thanks for your reply, see you soon.
Pan
Pep Up The Turmoil

nix

I'll help em...

Post by nix » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:36 pm

I have Emailed Pan, and told him I will help and that I'll help him book the cave if needed...

I will also use the exercise to asses the actual state/existence of forest/cave equipment and compile an accurate inventory, and repair-list/shopping-list to bring it back to an acceptable minimum.

Cheers.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:52 pm

big kiss nix

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:12 pm

Aye,
sterling work.
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:20 am

It was a pretty fine gig.
For a debut outing there was an extraordinary level of competence.
The keyboardist got some nice squirts from his organ, there was a wee interlude with a mini-set played on a Gameboy, band members would walk off stage willynilly, return, pick up a fresh instrument and fall straight back into the fore, strong girl/boy duet vocals.
The band only had three songs locked down and the rest they just winged.
I'm wary of the word 'jamming' and at times it did drift into Giles Peterson territory, but by and large it was pretty mighty.
Better yet the whole band were gracious, courteous and cool.

Afterward it was their understanding that they had to pay up £16.
I think they said it was a charge for lending stuff from the Cave.
Anyway I told them that this was a nonsense, told them I would have it waived and sort it.
Nix, do you know anything about this?
Pep Up The Turmoil

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Okay, I spoke to Nix, here's what happened
the band were short on equipment as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Nix borrowed the equipment from the Cave.
He booked the Cave for the time around the gig to prevent someone else booking the space and not having full equipment.
The upshot of it all I imagine is the Cave should be paid through the events budget.
Can anyone arrange this?
(or does anyone appose this?)
Pep Up The Turmoil