Fresher's Fair. Art college.

ravanwin

Fresher's Fair. Art college.

Post by ravanwin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:03 pm

I got this in my mail... can someone follow up. We usually let this thing happen spontaneously but maybe it would be good to plan it, invest some time to make us look more exciting , artistic and something worth getting involved in? yes?

Dear totalkunst and the forest

It's nearly Freshers week again and we would love you to have a stall
to
advertise your resourcers at the Edinburgh College of Art Freshers
Fair. The dates are Thursday 27th (10am - 2pm) and Friday 28th
September (10am to 4pm).
Stall holders should arrive at 9.30 on the morning for a 10am start.

Please let me know if you would like to take part for one or both of
the days and I will reserve a stall
for you. There is no charge for you to take part in the fair.

Best Wishes
Jenny Hogarth

Office Manager
Students' Union
Edinburgh College of Art

0131 229 1442

bill

Post by bill » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:46 pm

i have just leftthat piece of shit collage and would love to return and explain how things are to freshers

x cool

ryan can you giv me her email address?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:08 pm

sounds like it might be a laugh

anyone got any good ideas for it?

free stuff is the standard for these things isnt it? what about badges or soemthing?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:27 pm

sure badges, free stuff. we can also bring old junk to give away.
bill, can you just phone her?

beev

Post by beev » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:27 am

Old junk is a great idea!

bill

Post by bill » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:38 am

i phoned. they say bring some offers to attract students.

oh my

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:03 am

"we offer to consider your proposals free from prejudice"

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:21 am

give them some burritos!
You should organise a big party and give them free invitations to it. then at the party someone can tell them about the Forest and how it works and then you can have bands on and show them a good time.
It's like God's vagina!

bill

Post by bill » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:26 pm

we plan to immaculately replicate various degree certificates and give them out. laminate them and shit.

post good ideas please.....i may be naked behind the desk. we will have a range of forest goods...the books...records....examples of exhibitions...what forest is info etc etc.....

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:58 pm

i think we should make Totalkunst degrees which declare the bearer an artist.

to get the degree the applicant should have to don a funny hat and perform a masonic handshake.

those that refuse get a distinction.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:33 pm

yeah i like the distinction bit ,

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 pm

genius.

bill

Post by bill » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:01 pm

i prefer eca degrees........its good cos it makes there coming for years pointless...or makes the peoples realise that pieces of paper (actual degrees) are meaningless etc etc

dan

Post by dan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:15 pm

i also dig the ECa degrees. more dadadada
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:54 pm

i think the eca ones may be better , the curiosity of what an actual degree looks like , may be the gloss to get them to ware a silly hat and stand on one leg and bark like a dog

my only concern with this is since i studyed at an another art school it may seem a bit disrepectfull on my part handing them out.

martin

dan

Post by dan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:04 pm

even better
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:03 pm

disrespect is crucial.

(though, i think the entire act of handing out fake degrees is a bit disrespectfull, and there fore, kind of the point, maybe? or maybe we're just having a laugh, who knows.)

r

bill

Post by bill » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 pm

maximum disrespect and maximum dada/chaos/turmoil......

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:30 pm

I agree that the it should be done and it will be fun ,
to expand on my reasons for the early comment . I was thinking about the difference between the generic degree eg the total kunst one , which criticizes the whole state art school system .whereas the eca one more related to the criticism to the eca , and in my case i have no experience of the eca , so its not really my place to say much about it .

On anther note , i like the idea of the party or some way to get people into the forest , i was thinking that maybe the degree could get them a discount on something , a graduation glyph [sic]. furthering them down the wormhole and to self realization that there is an alternative to state education

martin

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 pm

my main agenda with the eca is the way that the in crowd have monopoly over the art scene here which bugs me so it would no doubt be good to make people think twice about feeling that they are automatically the bees' because they attend.

maybe though, i feel that in a way, focusing the idea on the eca is kind of falling in to the blinkered trap of the whole "eca all the way" paradigm anyway but...myeh

also personally i don't want to make people feel that they are shit just because they attend the eca. hell the poor freshers don't know any different.

danny

TOTALLY! and some more ideas...

Post by danny » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:25 am

TOTALLY!

Degree idea and masonic handshake thing are cool ideas. I'd love to be involved in one way or another. Stuff we could give away/sell.

COMEDY HIPPY TEAS
I'll do some of the images and the blurb if maybe someone can help me with the packaging design?

MUGS
We should SOoo have our own hand-designed mugs! Could some mug designer people do something cool? Can we get some "paint your own mug" workshops happening between now and then?

TEA SHIRTS

Cammy and me are gonna start doing some seriously silly shit soon, hopefully I can persuade him to get up for it too!

helen

Post by helen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:20 pm

What about inviting the students to a made up fresher's event, we could put on some kind of show, give them a map, and invite foundation students from Leith, Telford and Stevenson college as well so that ECA don't feel superiour. Or is that too ambitious? It might be good way of introducing art students to what total kunst can offer.

James

Post by James » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:00 am

I like it! As someone who's only official contact with ECA was being turned down for a computing job 4 years ago, I sometimes feel like a bit of an outsider in the VA group :-(

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:59 am

into helen's idea.

let me know how to help.

if you make up a fresher's event. it is a fresher's event.
oddly enough.

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:05 pm

Well done!

I think it's really important we try to take on as many opportunities to promote *outside* the Forest.

All ideas are cool up there, I'm loving them all.

Would it still be a good idea to maybe get together a TotalKunst portfolio, just a basic laminated pictures flipbook of the varied works that we've had at the Gallery?

VERY into inviting people to something from ECA and all other arts colleges too. Very important.

I love you guys.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

bill

Post by bill » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:11 pm

i hate you all

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:38 pm

I love Bill the most.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

bill

Post by bill » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:11 pm

aaaaaaaaaaah

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:59 pm

actions people! who is making what and how can i help?

we can bring stuff from the free shop and offer them as prizes. room decoration.

who are making the phoney degrees? getting printed?

also: it would be good to have a cool FOREST VA WG poster and FLYER by the time of this event.

can someone design one. please?

i am bad art.

bill

Post by bill » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:15 pm

i will make a fucking poster i have said this atleast twice and i still mean it. this can be made smaller to make into a flyer. ryan could you please phone magda and see if she has a degree. also we should have a forest charity booklet like what we already done available. we have an old TK booklet in the TK file cabinet drawer, feel free to look at that. i feel we should take a range of our records and publishing also......we take cool new what is forest poster also. i have a massive bronze "F" which fits infront of the "ART" on the colleges entrance i will install this.

does anyone want to print out some cool photos from tk's history? its on the web here http://www.theforest.org.uk/index.php?o ... Itemid=144

can we afford slammers?espressos? to give out.

more later

x

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:35 pm

sorry bill. the thread was getting bogged down in silly talk.

i'll call mags.

does anyone want to make a full color booklet that i can get printed out along with an updated charity book?

gareth (i think) is updating the charity booklet so i can get everything copied at once nicely if someone from va goes through and makes a lovely 12 page book of awesome VA Forest images.

Up for it?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:14 am

what format do you need the book to be in?

do you mean just select some images or print them out, write some text and compose a pamphlet also?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Martin said he'd be up for helping with this too. Which is cool.

I think you can select any images from the weblink that bill posted.

i don't reckon text is that important (though i suppose date and exhibit name would be smart to have) a smart cover that says Forest VA or Kunts or whatever and meeting times / web site would be good.

Just something that shows what the space can look like.

Does that make some sense?

all the info should be on the web.

also:

http://www.theforest.org.uk/download/

you can download a lot of files from here.

I'm thinking we can print 6 A5 booklets. Full color. at the ECA repo shop.
We should get on it soon though.

Ryan

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:25 pm

yep am on it , i think a intro page would nice meeting times and info about the forest would be nice steve ?

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:25 pm

ok cool i will write up a blurb and mail it to you, martin.

i would like to construct the hat, if poss.

also, if we are doing the eca degree thing, are we altering/ adding to the degrees or just handing out replicas/simulacra

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:29 pm

yeah we need hats ,

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 pm

i'll post the blurb here to be ok'd also

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:58 pm

TotalKunst is an open access, artist led intitiative run by the forest visual arts working group. we are a non-profit charity organisation which offers artists and other creatives the chance to exhibit and develop their work free from commission.

we believe art is made by all humans, not just those who attend colleges and by that note we give all submissions the due consideration they deserve regardless of degrees and cv.

The working group meets on the last thursday of each month in the forest at 7pm. These meetings are open to anyone who wants to attend, provided they don't mind participating in the running of the gallery and the managing of the visual appearance of the forest.

We are always on the look out for talanted individuals and groups who want to exhibit, hold events or generally make the forest look good. if you would like to submit a proposal or get more information, turn up to a meeting or email us at:

totalkunstsubmissions@yahoo.co.uk

by mail:
Totalkunst Gallery
3 Bristo Place
Edinburgh

I will email ola rek and Mike Bowdidge to get some info, so that we can include an upcoming program.

bill, could you email Lucy to get some info about their exhibition?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:15 pm

great blurb! well done.
r

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:46 pm

yo heres the first draft of the booklet , still a bit of work here and ther ,i think it needs more pages ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:40 pm

looks really good! I think.

A few pages of other exhibits could be really nice.

Been thinking a TK retrospective might not be a bad idea in the nearish future?

r

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:39 pm

good. one point though...
TotalKunst is an open access, artist led intitiative run by the forest visual arts working group. we are a non-profit charity organisation which offers artists and other creatives the chance to exhibit and develop their work free from commission.
This is unclear and not accurate I'm afraid. TK is not a charity. The Forest Visual Arts WG is not a charity. The Forest is a charity. Sorry I have to do this every time but it is important we are accurate in this regard. Please consider changing to this or something to take this into account...
TotalKunst is an open access, artist led intitiative run by the forest visual arts working group. the forest is a non-profit charity organisation which offers artists and other creatives the chance to exhibit and develop their work free from commission.
the more you think, the more you stink

lucky

Post by lucky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:15 am

Yeah, it looks amazing. Well done peeps!

2c

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:39 am

Gaz wrote:good. one point though...
This is unclear and not accurate I'm afraid. TK is not a charity. The Forest Visual Arts WG is not a charity. The Forest is a charity. Sorry I have to do this every time but it is important we are accurate in this regard. Please consider changing to this or something to take this into account...
TotalKunst is an open access, artist led intitiative run by the forest visual arts working group. the forest is a non-profit charity organisation which offers artists and other creatives the chance to exhibit and develop their work free from commission.
cool- second version reads fine to me

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:37 am

gaz = charity nazi.

bill

Post by bill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:58 pm

lucy a say say this to me

Submission Proposal to TotalKunst Gallery, Edinburgh.
We are two students from the Glasgow School of Art, Lucy Macdonald and Gregory Barrow. We both study Painting and Printmaking and are currently about to enter into our final year.
We would like to exhibit selected work in progress before we graduate. Our work includes drawing, collage and painting. The exhibition will be a group show consisting of selected pieces from both of us. The opportunity to exhibit our work in the gallery space and in a different city will be an exciting experience. We have included some information about our individual works and ideas for the exhibition along with some images of our work.

Lucy Macdonald.
My work consists of intimate paintings that reflect on the relationship between the painted surface as a site where spaces meet, are displaced and interrupted. My process involves displacing, interrupting depicted and pictorial spaces in order to allow a transitional space to occur where meaning transforms and develops through the spectator’s imaginative gaze. I question certain imagery and objects allowing them to reveal some irrational truth. The paintings act as a link between this hidden space that certain objects and images emit. The ambiguity of what is represented in my paintings makes the role of the viewer become more important. I am interested in how certain paintings can trigger imaginative associations and play illusionist games. I want to offer subtle suggestions of images, hints of forms that hover on the verge of definition but are confident of their position outside of representation. The paintings reflect doubt as a part of the creative process; areas in the paintings are covered over or removed and edited. I am interested in when a painting can be finished.

I plan in creating a small artists’ book to accompany the exhibition. These will be free of charge for the visitor to take away with them. It will be in a collage novel form and be made up of the imagery that has inspired the work.

Gregory Barrow.
I honestly can’t describe what it is I do apart from try to get the work to resonate accurately with the emotions within me that, as of yet, are nameless. The work has been described as arreal although I’m not sure that is an actual word, which is a small success. It is most definitely not about Existentialism although beyond my own means, it may well be. I am interested in letting the natural mistakes show and tricking oneself in order to achieve surprising results. Like spinning a bottle on a map to decide the destination, only to make the work not about the journey there but the return. Often I turn my work on its side or upside down and continue from there. You see, I hate recognising any style I may have and so am constantly reacting against myself. I really feel that if I’m not careful I may well be the worst artist ever. At the same time I realise this is a conscious decision and I may appear like a man walking three steps forward only to leap five back. Whatever it is that I do, I do with belief. I don’t like the idea of somebody entrusting themselves in some ones work that was created on a whim, although at one time I would have loved this idea. I always thought that in order to be a decent artist you’ve got to surprise yourself. After all, our journeys are nothing unless they surpass our horizons. So, in a sense, within the work I build a wall so that I may scale it, or smash through it in frenzy so I may frame the debris. I think I can say best what my work might be about when I confess that, if all of the above is riddled with contradiction, I will embrace it.

If you would like to contact us please email- nodges@hotmail.com
or call Lucy 07786317189 or Greg 07870522328.
We look forward to hearing from you.

__
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bill

Post by bill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:00 pm

more images

bill

Post by bill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:02 pm

and more from this exhibition

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:03 pm

thanks bill , ill knock up a program poster

bill

Post by bill » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:03 pm

oh and theres more