STFU Electronic Music Festival - 5/6/7 October at the Forest

Gaz

STFU Electronic Music Festival - 5/6/7 October at the Forest

Post by Gaz » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Hey! Incoming message...

When: Friday 5th, Saturday 6th, Sunday 7th...October

What: 3 day electronic music festival

Who: STFU music collective + Forest music collective = 3 days of bleeps, beats and not much sleep

How: Forest is giving STFU a grant to come here and press their mighty butttons. Here is the original proposal below.
STFU music
Our main website is http://stfumusic.org

To stage a 3 day “electronic” music festival across a Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

"electronic" could mean using computer software, computer hardware, homemade digital instruments, programming languages etc.

Not strictly speaking dance music, but anything from ambient to industrial, as long as it utilises technology and is not limited to guitar, bass, drums.

Often the artists are just 1 guy on a laptop with someone doing visuals.

We are a non-profit European-wide collective of electronic musicians and visual artists who organise events all over Europe, where local bedroom based music makers come out of their shell and have the chance to play alongside signed acts*.

*I’m hopeful of having Munich based artist Nq, who is now signed to Berlin based Kitty-Yo records playing (he played Stfu Glasgow 2005). I also hope to have Weimar based artist Deer, who is resurrecting the Neo Ouija label (Xela, Apparat etc) also playing. I also expect some artists from Benbecula records to play and Acrnym, now signed to sublight records, as he played both Stfu Glasgow festivals before. I may also ask Svarte Greiner/Deaf Centre on Type records and Move D, manager of German label Source records, and perhaps some other artists on Type and Source records to play.

Last year the printing of 1,000 flyers cost £60, which I paid for myself. So for this year I would expect that around £60 would again pay for the cost of flyer printing.

View the flyer here: http://stfu.regicide.org/06glasgow/stfuglasgow06.png

None of the artists will be paid. The rest of the grant would pay for artist’s travel expenses. I don’t know how much this would be as it’s dependant on who all agrees to come and how much their travel costs, it could cost much more than £300, if i can't pay everyone fully but can give them half their expenses then it’s a good incentive and is better than nothing. So the remaining £260 would be brilliant.

Previously we have organised 2 festivals in Glasgow.

In 2005, a friend of mine organised the festival and I helped out. We had 11 artists from England, 2 from Germany and 2 from Italy*

*There was to be 1 artist from the Netherlands and 1 from Sweden but they both pulled out and were replaced by 2 Italians.

This is the flyer: http://stfu.regicide.org/05glasgow/flyer.png

In 2006 I organised the festival myself and took full responsibility for designing and printing flyers and also created a website for the event and plan to do the same for the event at the forest café if you give it the thumbs up. As I’ll be designing and hosting the site myself it won’t cost a penny.

View last year’s website here: http://stfumusic.org/glasgow

Last year no one came from the European mainland to play but we did have 9 artists from down south (Leeds, Manchester, Rochdale, Oldham, Chester and London)

No expenses were paid, everyone paid from their own pocket to come to Glasgow.

Our Europeans friends are organising festivals in Germany, Finland, Italy and perhaps elsewhere later this year.

If the Edinburgh festival is a success then we would hope to come back to the Forest cafe in 2008!

Martin Hirsch (aka Deer and owner of Neo Ouija records) also put together a documentary about net label culture that follows the 2005 STFU Glasgow festival, featuring concert footage, visuals and interviews with many of the participants.

Please have a look, It’s a free download from: http://hippocamp.co.uk/releases/hc162.htm

Many thanks,
Mark
This is gonna be bigger than Biggins.

Dorkbot - are you out there? Forest needs you!

What about Forest Friends Electric?
DJs, Laptopists, VJs, Whizzkids.

There will be ample opportunity for collaboration, workshops, showdowns and fighting with electricity like Emperor Palpatine.
Chris wrote:
"maybe suggest they should have a bit of workshoppy/diy/jam stuff goin
on too... (maybe they do but i missed it)"

Absolutely. We haven't run any workshops at the previous 2 Glasgow
shows but we have done so at events in Leeds, Weimar and Rome.
Previous workshops topics have included netlabel/creative commons
culture, making and using contact(piezo) microphones, ableton live
music software, audiomulch software and the monome 40h controller
(http://monome.org/40h/) and a free 4 all jam(bring your own instrument
or use whats already there)! We could certainly do this in Edinburgh
too.

In addition to the previous info i have provided i would also like to
include a link to my photos from last year:
http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic/set ... 192908642/

most of the sets from last year are also available to download in mp3
format here:
http://www.archive.org/details/stfu2006 ... r_2006.mp3

many thanks,
Mark

the more you think, the more you stink

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:05 am

Could we/Should we organise a booze license for this?
Pep Up The Turmoil

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:10 am

Drool.

I say no to booze. Tea and electronica.

Have they made a flyer for it? (I see flyers for previous events but not for this one). If there were a flyer I'd distribute a bit around informatics. Not that I really want huge crowds to come and spoil the coolness.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 pm

People need to say they want to play as soon as possible.
Thanks...

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:13 pm

Hey. Here is the flyer from Mark Murphy.
Any objections, suggestions, additions say now.
You have 1 day because they're off to the printers tomorrow....

pandacetamol

Electronic music festival

Post by pandacetamol » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Damn, I would have loved to have joined in on this, but my crazy older sister is getting married (again) on the 5th in Cambridge. Pants. I lament the opportunity passing me by...

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:06 pm

If she's getting married on the 5th, you can be back for the 6th! (Second marriages don't count, anyway - no familial obligation.)

Flier looks awesome.

wu-lee

Post by wu-lee » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Hello, Nick from dorkbot here. Martin L mentioned this last week but I didn't know the secret word then so I couldn't post here.

Was just going to say, I can announce this on the dorkbotalba-announce list if you want? Also, I can't contribute musically, but I might be able to help out in some other respect.

Cheers,
N

chris

Post by chris » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:18 pm

sounds good.. announce it is good . cool.
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

wu-lee

Post by wu-lee » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Ok, did my best to summarise what it's about - copy of the announcement here:

http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/dor ... 00021.html

N

ufoel

Post by ufoel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:12 am

Dug has pulled out so currently there is room for 1 more act.
Fliers/posters haven't went yet, should go tomorrow once this remaining place is filled!

Mark

emily

Post by emily » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:27 pm

are flyers/posters made yet? i can take some into the music dept at e.u. where there are lots of people doing midi stuff...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:31 pm

cool em. we have some in the posters rack in the front of forest before the exit. that'd be ace.
r

ufoel

Stfu Edinburgh 2008 (Thu 3rd - Fri 4th July)

Post by ufoel » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am

Just to let anyone interested know that we're doing it again this year at Red's on Cowgate.
Free entry, free glow bands, badges and fridge magnets for the first folk through the door!
Drinks promos all night, good vibes...

Cheers,
Mark

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:51 pm

sick!
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

milk

Post by milk » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:42 pm

cooool, this will make up for my not having been able to afford My Bloody Valentine on the 3rd.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku