Internet down

lucky

Internet down

Post by lucky » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Internet's been down for a while, but seems to work sporadically in the office.

Anyone fancy a look? Sean took a quick look yesterday but to no avail.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:55 pm

You should call Martin when this stuff happens. He says: don't start a thread. Call him. Otherwise, he will not know.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Just seen this.

I can log into the server from outside fine, and things seem to be working okay from there - could you be more specific what's wrong? Front room computers? Laptops on wireless?

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Both wireless and front room computers was down, I think. The front rooms computers for sure. Dunno about the office. I was unable to ssh into the server from the front room computers. I was using 192.168.43.1 as I recall, and getting "network unreachable". I couldn't get broadcast ping responses from anything either.

I thought it was probably a case of the server having crashed and not booting up. It's happened before and required connecting a monitor and keyboard to the server to fix. But if you can log into it from outside then it seems to be working. Has the problem just fixed itself now? Or is the fault somewhere else? I did restart the various routers up there also, and checked the wiring from the front-room computers to the server, which seemed fine, although I only partially checked it (didn't move the whole free shop).
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:01 am

The server log shows DHCP traffic with 192.168.43.10 (the blue office computer) and 192.168.43.233 (probably the other office computer, I don't think that ever got assigned a fixed address). Some wiring must be loose up on the shelf somewhere I guess.

chombee

Post by chombee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:52 am

Hmmm... does the log show any wireless connections working successfully? Alex wasn't getting wireless on his laptop last night. Is the router that the front room PCs are connected to the same one that sends out the wireless signal? It could be that router is broken. Or loose wires, yes.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:43 pm

It was loose wires.

There are two troublesome cables. One is the crossover one that connects the hub to the wireless router. This doesn't seem to clip very reliably into the hub end, and it was this one causing the problem. The other is the normal one that connects the server to the hub. This is badly wired at the hub end and may need to be twisted about relative to the plug to get a link.

If anyone comes across some spare cables, replace these two.