the display fridge

ravanwin

the display fridge

Post by ravanwin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:15 pm

ok:
as some of you know, this summer the display fridge exploaded into many sharp bits. The people from capital cooling were jerks and the people from caravel (who made the fridge in the first place.) were kind of crap too.

so, anyway, they delivered new glass to us today despite the fact that i told them not to and i told them they were rude, dangerous and generally a pain to deal with.

blah blah: here's the deal

we can:
1) have this fridge entirely replaced with a new version of the same model.
2) have an engineer come out and fix this frigde completely. (we lost a lot of bits due to the accident)
3) they will exchange this fridge with another model up to the value of this one. (i'm sure i can push them for a few extra quid but maybe not)

we can see their other machines here:
http://www.caravell.co.uk/

so... what should we do?

and while we are on the subject:
how about that copier?

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:20 pm

Do we think the previous failure was faulty glass or is that just what happens to a display fridge when people lean on it for months as is inevitable with one in that position really?

chris

Post by chris » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:36 am

wow:

3) they will exchange this fridge with another model up to the value of this one. (i'm sure i can push them for a few extra quid but maybe not)

that seems pretty amazing.. maybe we should figure out 'exactly' what we actually want/need, and see if they do that...
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

bill

Post by bill » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:06 pm

they will do it for free? i don't think we should give any of these peoples any more money
x

chris

Post by chris » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:28 pm

can we just get a load of money back?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:00 pm

they will do it for free. i do not think we can get any money back.

what exactly do we wanna get?

hugs and MM,

ryan

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:23 pm

It is worth seeing if there is a unit better suited to our needs (ie: less destructible). I haven't had a proper look at the website yet.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:55 pm

bump bump ::: we really need to consider this!

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Why not just replace it with a new one of the same model?

Surely if there was a better one for the same or less money, we would have got it in the first place...?

chris

Post by chris » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:39 am

i completely agree with martin.

lets get a brand new one, and try and look after it.

we should add cleaning it to the weekly and daily cleaning rotas (which are stuck up on the inside of the cupboard), once the kms understand how to clean it without having to dissemble it...

trouble is, it does seem likely that the glass will break again..

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:23 pm

the glass will break again and it isn't the best for serving necissarily.

it depends on what the kitchen wants and needs.

the present situation is bad, however.
r

beev

Post by beev » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:17 pm

We should get a new one put spikes on it so people can't lean.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:45 pm

We now have a spare front piece of glass (in the box in the front office). CC left it when they were in last time.

Martin

Post by Martin » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:35 am

I second the spikes. They don't need to be actually dangerously spikey, just something to get in the way of potential leaners. They could be ART, you know.

Or we put a horizontal bar across the top of the glass bit, that people can lean on safely. People like leaning at the bar.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:27 pm

or a simple wooden frame to lean against instead.. but last time it exploaded not from leaning..xx

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:15 pm

Chris speaks the truth. How likely is it to explode again? We were lucky no one was seriously hurt.

beev

Post by beev » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:36 pm

I think the exploding was a one-off freak event. They wouldn't be able to sell these things if it was in any way a common thing.

One thing to remember is that glass can respond in crazy ways when exposed to changes of temperature, especially if the change is localised and not affecting the whole of the piece of glass. So if we bear that in mind, including being careful to prevent anyone from placing anything on top of the fridge, I'm sure it'll be fine.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:46 pm

"prevent anyone from placing anything on top of the fridge"

this isnt too realistic is it!!!

beev

Post by beev » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:50 pm

More spikes! It's not a clever place to put stuff anyway. The glass curves away and things are likely to fall. Besides, we never put things on it before :)

beev

Post by beev » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:51 pm

Building a shelf above it would probably be good!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:44 pm

I finally had a look at the website properly. Our fridge is in the 'serve over cabinet' category, and there really isn't anything that looks sturdier. There is one that looks fancier, but also more expensive. Ours is worth either £1450 or £1750 - not sure what it's model number is. Also, it says it's 'Climate Class 3.' This doesn't fit with the usual A++ - G rating system, but 3 doesn't sound so good!

I am not sure what to do because I have plans for a complete kitchen overhaul. In short, I would like to change the menu and our ways of cooking so that the menu is both simplified but also more homemade - less microwave, less crap, less fussy falafel/olives/nachos/burrito business. I imagine a soup of the day and a curry/chilli of the day like now, but also a couple of main meals of the day and salads. A bit more along the lines of Suzie's or Engine Shed. A small menu of freshly made quality dishes that would change daily.

If we changed to this, I don't think a display fridge is necessary. Warming trays/banmaries (I don't know what they're called/how to spell them) would make more sense. Caravell don't sell this kind of thing. They do have some good normal fridge units that we could maybe use the credit on?

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:48 pm

that sounds really cool Shannon, can you promise me though that you won't get rid of those sesame cake things though? oh, man I love them! Who makes them, how do you make them?
It's like God's vagina!

swithun

Post by swithun » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 pm

I like change, but not when it involves burritos and nachos.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:05 pm

Hey I think Shannons ideas are well worth working towards. It was long a dream ago in the days that we would serve up meals changing on a daily basis and not sandwiches in Ciabattas and crap like that. I think it would be great. No more display fridge/something smaller for cakes etc. Actually that could be good, a stand up display fridge with shelving in it for cakes and sandwiches a la Susies. I do realise I have said two different ideas and supported both of them. I'm sorry about that.
d x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

chris

Post by chris » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:23 am

change is the opposite of death

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:50 am

i'm always into the idea of what shannon is talking about and then i think about two things
1) it would require a pretty massive kitchen overhall? Do we have the people power for that?
2) suzie's already does food like at suzie's and i think, somehow, we've carved a nice little menu out and am generally fear scrapping that in favour of something else we've never really done.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 pm

It is not a small change and needs planning. But, it can happen and I think there is some energy to do it. I´m thinking mid-January at the earliest as I don´t have the time to properly help coordinate implementing anything until then.

Kitchen overhaul would be necessary, but there is always the don´t ask don´t tell policy... Our kitchen gear has already expanded beyond what is probably okay...

It would not be just like Suzies. We would have our own dishes, and I hope there would be new dishes and one-offs added more regularly. I think this would make the kitchen a far more creative and fulfilling endeavour (much more in keeping with the rest of Forest and less of a means to an ends).

We serve too much processed shit and rely on microwaves too much. We could be selling tastier, fresher food at less cost to us if we were cooking from scratch more.

I also imagine that lunch and dinner rushes would work much more smoothly if we were just serving up what we had already prepared, rather than trying to slap together a bunch of different menu items as the orders come. Maybe we would run out of certain things later in the day, but I think this is a good thing if we want to be fresh, quality food.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:43 am

i like the idea of a revamp , we seems to be revamping everything else . and the engagement with the food we serve is as important as the art we make . and if someone thinks they is time and energy for it then i say go for it .

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:37 am

What plans are there for a new fridge? I guess they are tied up with all the other plans for food etc. Last night, Gandolf showed me a couple of ways in which the display fridge is suboptimal.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:36 am

Clearly, the display fridge is suboptimal in most ways.

I am most afraid that when we go back to the company months and months later, the offer is no longer going to exist...

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:49 pm

don't worry about the company. i think i can beat them. still. we should decide on SOMETHING tonight maybe?
r

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:48 pm

yes.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:56 pm

ok - this is proving pretty difficult.
caravell is denying all knowledge of this transaction whilst simultaneously being really friendly and helpfull. it seems that the TWO people I spoke to previously Paul and Hugh have left the company without any record of us ever having spoken.

while it seems i may have been lied to earlier it also seems that communication may have been poor within their own offices:

as it stands PETER (who may or may not be at the company in 3 month) and Ramona have said that we can get aprox. £300 for the fridge in cash or £300 in credit + %30 off the cost of a new item.

Not sure how much ball busting i can do at the moment. I think that the person i spoke to in october said we could trade in the value of the fridge (which i assumed was £2,000 but may have been £300 if thought about properly / stated properly)

anyway - that's where we stand.

once we know what we want / if we want - i will attack them again.

or we could put the glass back on the fridge and forget about it.
ry

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:53 am

I am quite convinced by the idea of the tall stand up fridge. Will work as a display, but also much sturdier and takes up less room than the display fridge. I'm not sure on the price. I'll check the website.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:00 am

There is no price on the unit I was looking at. It says to call the company. Looking at it more closely, it only has doors on one side and
is solid (not see-through) at the back. I was envisioning something you could display to the customer and open from the back.

Yeah, so I don't know. If anyone can corner these peoples it's you, Ryan. And if you can't, I don't really want to buy yet another machine from them. They suck.

I don't know about fixing the glass on the display fridge. Aside from the glass, it leaks like mad. It might be worse because of the energy wastage, but it was leaking before. It is all around bad news.