FOREST SHOP SITE FUCKED!!! PLEASE HELP

ravanwin

FOREST SHOP SITE FUCKED!!! PLEASE HELP

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi all - sorry to those who knew this all before but we really really need this fixed.

The forest shop online is fucked which means that all the promotion i have been doing for the book is worthless. Jason Morton has html'd an email and we're all set to rock out and promote the book and lp.

How quickly can we fix this problem. Pogo has offered to design us a new shop site but this will require some funds and won't be able to be done too quickly. I wanted to send a BUY this BOOk email today so that we could get books out by the holiday season.

If anyone can take this on as a priority that would be great because then I wouldn't feel like a load of time / work had been wasted.

Please help?

Love you!
ry

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Hello. Hello. Hello? can anyone help me please?

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:08 pm

i dont really understand the shop , it dont seem to work when i go to it . i was thinking you could just have a link to the button .

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:50 pm

You mean the shop on forest.org.uk right? When you click on Books & Literature or whatever nothing shows up?

Who's currently in town that knows anything about logging into and administering the site? I'm afraid I don't have any logins or passwords and have never even looked at the forest site or the software it uses. It's not a 'normal' site. I don't think I can help, at least not on my own.

Maybe, if there's no one who can simply fix this on their own, we can arrange an Action Room get together, just in the nick of time. We need at least one or two people who know how to login into the site and have passwords etc., other geeks can come along and learn. We will probably fix it?
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:25 pm

we had our best minds look at it and this is the response:

Pogo said via email...
just tried to fiddle with the shop and yes, i confirm that it is broken. i don't know what to do for a fix.. i wish our site wouldn't get fcked with so much. everything was working fine until the last time the server people took it offline. duncan is the one that got the site back up and .. upgraded it... and that knocked out the shop. the shop we use isn't being made anymore and is not supported on the version that we now have. the only way i can see getting it back is if we somehow downgrade to 1.0.12 from our current 1.0.13. it is probably the same reason why the upload image isn't working anymore.

there are other shops we can use.. but someone has to setup the products. i spent a lot of time making the shop we had. including making it play CD's... i doubt i have time to do such things again.
someone needs to go to: http://extensions.joomla.org/
and look through and read about the shops and pick one. then i can install it and then someone will need to do all of the inputting that i did before.

or..

just use paypal to make buttons and stick them on pages in the site for the book or records..

pogo

Pogo's proposed solution:
simple 10 minute solution:

1. goto paypal create the buttons..
2. paste them on the front page in a box that say : Holiday Shop at the Forest (or something like that... )

done.

pogo
the current forest shop uses the joomla application ezstore.
an answer would be to ditch it and just create a page with all the item on it and paypal buttons for each or a page for each item with paypal buttons for each.
is it easy to create the paypal button? probably. i've never done it...
the more you think, the more you stink

chombee

Post by chombee » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:26 pm

Go with the paypal buttons. With luck creating a button will be a copy-paste from their site.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

milk

Post by milk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:38 pm

have had a look into this. the forest's ezstore seems to have broken with the joomla update and the site the script says is it's homepage is 'down' atm. softpedia gives the ezstore site as this but there's no mention of it there so i'd guess the developer has gone non-free and there'll be no new versions (read that work with the latest joomla) of ezstore, so it looks like a migration to a new shopping cart addon'll be required.

looking through the shopping cart addons available on the official joomla extensions site, virtuemart comes out the top rated and seems to have all the features required. example sites can be found here, here and here. shouldn't be too hard to get this installed to give it a spin. thoughts?
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

beev

Post by beev » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Give it a spin!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:28 pm

yes PLEASE!

milk

WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Post by milk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:20 pm

it's installed! can be seen here with a sample set of products (the sidebar module is disabled so only a direct link works atm and nothing is configed for the money part yet). formatting and info available can be adjusted. there are a few addons available that could be installed if wanted. what is required now is a list of the products to be sold with prices/descriptions/pics/etc and the paypal (or whatever, most payment systems are covered) details for where the money is to end up.
hey, if you don't like it, post on the BB (so you can ask about participating for better) | MilkMiruku

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:40 am

Really very excellent work.

Here is a list of items that should be in the forest shop:

Books
1) The Golden Hour Book and CD
2) CIA Nights
3) Ryan Van Winkle - I Hate Myself, I'm A Genius, I Ruin Everything (I'm So Lonely)
4) Ryan Van Winkle - i think i

Records
10- inch Vinyl
1) The Forest Vinyl

CDs
1) Balkan Invasion
2) Dirk Markham - Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 1
3) Dirk Markham - Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 2
4) Dirk Markham - Psycho-Acoustic Sculptures Vol 3
5) Dirk Markham - Dirk's Definition of Country
6) Dirk Markham - Advent
7) Dan Seizure - In Bed With
8) Dan Seizure - At Home With
9) Dan Seizure - Danseizure Vs Dan Arborise
10) Dan Seizure - Danseizure Vs Umbrellamouth - Electronic Shopping
11) Dan Seizure - Let's Not Go Out With
12) Arctic Circle - Volume One
13) Arctic Circle - Volume Two
14) Arctic Circle - 2007
15) Ryan Van Winkle - I Hate Myself, I'm A Genius, I Ruin Everything (I'm So Lonely)
16) Ragland - Volume One: Welcome To Ragland
17) Ragland - See:Xons
18) John Crave - Superbuildings
19) Kenilworth - Kenilworth
20) i:beam - i:beam with hal ramel
21) The Very - The Very
22) Miroslav Mitrovic - Songs Of The Future
23) Peter Escott - 4 Seconds
24) Peter Escott - Live at the Forest
25) Peter Escott - 6 Months Transportation
26) Peter Escott - Piano and Forte Only
27) Peter Escott - Nyet Sevednya
28) CMG - Don't Go Midi
29) The Abdominal Showmen - Ourang-Outang
30) Kyon and Dyems - The Cage EP
31) MGM - Post Listening
32) Pandacetamol - Intoxicated Gesture

What else?
T-Shirts?
Frisbees?
I don't think we have any product so best leave it off for now.

The numbers mean nothing. Don't include them.

A lot of the pictures should be uploaded already.
Most of these should link to the radio player so people can listen before purchase.
Prices - set at 5 pounds including p+p
except - Golden Hour Book is 8 pounds.

The Golden Hour Book is our biggest seller!
Getting that up and the 10inch is the key at the moment.

How we do the paypal? I have the details I think. Some others too.
Obviously we won't put them here. We'll have to meet up...

Good work!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:54 am

nice one milk

milk

Post by milk » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:39 pm

got some stuff added, shall do more later. can't seem to find the old shop images anywhere through the admin interfacef, don't suppose anyone could point me in the right direction/has copies? also, the shop allows for both short and long product descriptions - are there any about (was anything used forr the old shop?) or does someone want to write some?

p.s. have fixed the images at the bottom of the main site page so they're now links.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:44 pm

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:34 pm

the golden hour book stuff can be found at

http://www.theforest.org.uk/thegoldenhourbook

also on the main home page there is an image. You can use any of the text from the main GH page but I can help select it if you like.

That is awesome! let me know when it is live because I'd like to do a BIG Push soon soon soon.

Rock on milk!
r

milk

Post by milk » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:17 pm

ah, fantastic, both of those should help for now. taks.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:03 pm

rock on milk. let me know when we can buy things online.... cool.
r

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:56 pm

i was away last week and am just picking up on this thread. i noticed image upload wasnt working about a month ago when i tried to add a new shop item

anyway all items still seem to be visible inc. image.jpgs, buy button code etc. in the old ezstore at the admin/backend.
so its a simple enough job to copy/paste all items into new shop. i dont have much on on wednesday and could do some of that if some one tells me how to access the new store.

in the old shop we didnt actually have any "add to cart" system activated - rather just buy now buttons linking directly to pay pal site...
do *we* know how to link this virtuemart with the joomla backend? i still have no idea why the old shop stopped working...id love to know more if anyone wants to pm me some ideas?
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

thehemulen

Post by thehemulen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:06 pm

troubleshooting this new "VirtueMart"......found a glitch: on checkout one arrives at a screen where the error "Error: Please select a Shipping Method." is shown. HOWEVER there is no Option to choose any shipping methods. really this is redundant anyway as in practice we use fixed price shipping costs. not sure we really need/want this kind of basket/checkout style shop system at all. i liked the old simple set up where one is diverted to paypal. sorry, i have upgrade sickness!?! ; ) still, i agree we really need to optimise our (online) shop and would like to help make that happen in any way i can.
"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.

milk

Post by milk » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:31 pm

thehemulen wrote:anyway all items still seem to be visible inc. image.jpgs, buy button code etc. in the old ezstore at the admin/backend.
heyho. doh! checking there went right out of my mind >_< and that has product descriptions to copy as well :D
i dont have much on on wednesday and could do some of that if some one tells me how to access the new store.
the shop admin page is located here. to add a product go to 'Product List' then 'New' at the top / 'Products' menu then 'Add product'. SKU is the internal product id number, the last used can be seen on the product list.
in the old shop we didnt actually have any "add to cart" system activated - rather just buy now buttons linking directly to pay pal site...
do *we* know how to link this virtuemart with the joomla backend?
troubleshooting this new "VirtueMart"......found a glitch: on checkout one arrives at a screen where the error "Error: Please select a Shipping Method." is shown. HOWEVER there is no Option to choose any shipping methods.
i haven't setup the payment method part yet (there's a guide here for that though) and specifically disabled the shipping methods part so no-one could order anything before it's all configured correctly. not entirly sure how that's going to be setup, though it shouldn't be too hard either. does the forest do it's own mailing or use some company or other?

milk

an update

Post by milk » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:17 pm

right, all the products are now on the shop, although a number either don't have images or descriptions. i've copied all the details from the old store addon, although there might be (actually, i'm pretty sure there are, shall look at this later) a few more images in the download folder that i've missed. the paypal linkage is up and running now and the shipping has been set to £1 for uk addresses and £1.80 for non-UK addresses (ryan; that's correct, yes?).

there's a 'featured products' sidebar module that's ready to be published which'll display both the golden hour book and forest vinyl items on the front page,although i've been having some difficulty getting the 'Ultimate AJAX Newsflash' module (the one that fades out in and out with images of products from the old store, a module that was rebranded 'Ultimate Content Display' a few months ago) to do what it does with stuff in the new store. i'll try updating that and then have a go at getting it working later.

i've also installed the virtuemart product stats plugin so we can see what activity there is on the shop - not entirly sure this is working properly yet, but i'll come back to it later.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:35 pm

sounds fucking amazing milk. you are a shop-god!

Jimmy Bastard

Post by Jimmy Bastard » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:21 pm

bloody hell mate, great work, indeed.
Pep Up The Turmoil

milk

Post by milk » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:36 pm

ah raht. now, images and the descriptions. i've still to check the download[url] folder for any more matching images, but can anyone point me towards/write descriptions for [url=http://www.theforest.org.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1]the items that lack one? tak.

n.b. the final release of the next version of virtuemart should hopfully be coming out in the next couple of weeks which will allow one to do handy things like change the order products appear on the store page (doh). also, the big joomla 1.5 update should be coming out which'll be worth it for the refinements/new bells+whistles/updated security/etc.

ryan - when would you like to launch the shop proper [likes]? maybe a push/media blitz on that front once the images/descriptions are sorted?

pogo

URLs

Post by pogo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:11 pm

hey all,

i just figured out some new web tricks and thought that i'd pass them on to the Forest site.

.. no more index.php?component /id?=99/view? 16d !!!

now the site has ultra friendly URLS!

like:
http://www.theforest.org.uk/the-goldenhour-book/
http://www.theforest.org.uk/cia-nights-gallery/
http://www.theforest.org.uk/workshops/c ... workshops/
http://www.theforest.org.uk/who-we-are/

and so on..

enjoY!!
pogo
Last edited by pogo on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pogo

joomla 1.5 warning and other upgrades

Post by pogo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:17 pm

hey, just a word of caution.

don't upgrade anything unless you've researched A LOT on what the upgrade is going to do to the existing site.

also - i would suggest that backups be made of the DB prior to any work on the sites backend. if something happens (like the unfortunate upgrade to 1.0.13 - without backing up 1st) - it is EZ to return the site to it's former state.

the site wouldn't be without a shop right now had a backup of the DB been made. don't take this lightly, it's ez to do and everyone now is feeling the results of an upgrade without backup.. not good.

else.... enjoy the new URLs!
remember: they can be modified to anything in the backend too.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:04 pm

nice one with urls , that what ive been wanting for a while , any chance this one http://www.theforest.org.uk/totalkunst/ ... e-gallery/

could be just http://www.theforest.org.uk/totalkunst

this would be make it easier for poster and stuff

pogo

Post by pogo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:34 pm

wow thanks!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:41 pm

nice to bb you again pogo.
happy new year buddy.

ry

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:01 pm

hey all -

i stupidly thought this all got sorted and then forgot about it BUT - the shop is not really done, is it?

nothing online at the moment?

How do we get this up and running?

hmmmm?

ry

milk

Post by milk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:46 pm

milk wrote:ah raht. now, images and the descriptions. i've still to check the download folder for any more matching images, but can anyone point me towards/write descriptions for the items that lack one? tak.
sorry, i've been a bit distracted in the last couple of weeks but i'll poke the stuff i can do (images from the download folder) the now.

milk

Re: joomla 1.5 warning and other upgrades

Post by milk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:56 pm

pogo wrote:don't upgrade anything unless you've researched A LOT on what the upgrade is going to do to the existing site.

also - i would suggest that backups be made of the DB prior to any work on the sites backend.
no probs, wouldn't do it any other way. *realisation*. not that i have ftp access to do it anyway ;)

joomla 1.5 final is out now, shall look into the fine details re upgrading, addon compatibility, etc. the final of the next virtuemart is expected in late feb.

milk

Post by milk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:43 am

update. the layout could do with a bit of work but i'm not going to bother before the 1.1 update comes out for the shop addon (soonish) as things might change.

everything should be working now. if anyone wants short or long descriptions edited/ammended, please provide changes and i'll update it.

should i turn the link on from the front page?

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:07 pm

good work milk .

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:24 pm

sweeeet! Let's go live baby live!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:26 pm

this page doesn't work still - right?

http://www.theforest.org.uk/index.php?o ... ry&catid=6

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:27 pm

we don't use ezstore anymore so that link will never work.

the new shop exists on one of milk's links above. it's just not published yet.