EVents Book

ravanwin

EVents Book

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:47 pm

All -

a while back we discussed Making an Events book. It would have fields for all the required information - phone number, website, sound engineer, DESCRIPTION.

Every page would say things like: hey danny, make sure you show up. and we can't gaurentee a sound engineer. come early come often etc.

So... I can help with this endevour and would very much like to. BUT, I could use some help in crafting this amazing book. It would be great if someone who understood graphics of computer calandar makers or whatever could help.

Anyone wanna work with me on a template?
r

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:49 pm

Gareth and I were talking about this the other day, but I doubt I´m going to have a chance to do anything before I leave.

We were thinking half an A4 page for each day, divided into hours/times.

That might have been as far as we got...

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:51 pm

i could help with this

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:11 pm

gareth is working on a template and we can work on it from there. cool?
r

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:15 pm

sounds good to me

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:56 pm

we'll talk about this at the meeting tonight.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 pm

yo

did a bit research into making this wee booklet , ive found a plug for scribus that makes calenders and also events listing. the events format is 7 days to the page , if someone could hack this python script to make it do one day per page that would be very sweet.

ive had a look at it , but with me knowing nothing about python and the script being in french , am screwed

wewould find this very helpful in the making of the events book , cause writing every date by hand is very painful!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:26 pm

dont hack that script hack this one , this is one is english and is better
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:46 pm

heres my prototype , chombee has done a script for us so can have the date on each page , without having to input it by hand ,

chombee

Post by chombee » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:38 pm

So is it easy to add the rest of that stuff to every page by hand, after running the script? It might be possible to get the script to create the rest of it too if that would help in the future.

Looks nice, by the way.
I've had it with you. If I had an image of a laser gun I would absolutely position it right here in my hand...
Ha! I have a real laser absolutely positioned in my hand!

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:07 pm

thanks,

its ok , you make the form on another document , then send it to the scrapbook , do the events book with the plugin in a new document . then insert a new page at beginning , drag the form from the scrapbook to the new page . make that page a master page and then apply that page to all the pages .boom youve got an events book with all the dates on it .

i might get you to do somethings else , a surprise !

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:13 pm

looks good to me! I'd like to add a few words of warning similar to that stuff which is on the front cover of the current events book. we can have a look at that tonight maybe?r

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:18 pm

i was thinking we need a front page , with all the info on it . or do you want some of that info on the pages them self

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:07 pm

it would be good to build the extra info into the pages themselves

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:31 pm

hi

not sure what the extra info is ? but added a wee bit on it . if you want more please advise me on what it is .

ive changed the font , made it lighter . got rid of the black . makes it look too heavy .

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:39 pm

OK: It's looking good. I, personally, think the following:

-- Bring back the black. I thought it looked good and broke up the page. without it, the page is not as clear, i feel.

-- forest too big --- maybe we can just have the logo and website in the bottom corner.

---- Date?

-- need a place for people to give their website / weblink

-- are you 18 should read: "any performers under 18?"

-- TOP should read: ALL FIELDS ARE MANDATORY.

-- also on top should be the warnings from the current EB cover

* Write Neatly
* Very Loud Events are not permitted without prior approval.
* Make a Poster. All events need a poster.
* Describe your event clearly and in detail. Make it sound good!
* All events MUST be FREE! no donations. no passing the hat. (If funding is required, please contact the events working group via info@theforest.org.uk or the forest bb at http://www.theforest.org.uk/bb --- small amounts of money may be availible.)
* You are welcome to use our equiptment but first you must make sure if it works and if it is here on the night of your event. Please come early to check what we have and consider bringing back up gear in case of equipment failure.
*CORKAGE: live music events can split corkage profits with Forest (i.e. a 50/50 split of the 'bar'). Performers must tell Night Managers in advance.
* Weekly / Monthly residencies are encouraged but MUST be approved by the events Working Group. (contact same details as above)
* Events must end before midnight unless otherwise approved.
* Forest reserves the right to cancel, amend or alter any event at any time. We will turn your poetry night into an egyptian themed crusie ship.

ALSO:
re sound engineer: we will try to supply a sound engineer free of charge however, one is not always availible when needed. please plan accordingly for your sound needs.

* you can book the whole day just score out the other times.

GOOD LUCK WITH THESE EXTRAS. BRING BACK THE BLACK and thanks a lot!
r

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:17 pm

that's a lot to get on each page.

maybe a rewrite?
the more you think, the more you stink

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:23 pm

that would help alot , otherwise the text is going to be very small

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:05 pm

1st redraft. Can we fit this on? Probably not with the bullet points. How far off does it get?
· You must fill in all fields. Write neatly. Make your event sound good! To book more than one slot score out the other times.
· Tick the box if you need a sound engineer. We will try to supply a free sound engineer, but this is not guaranteed. Please make your own arrangements if you wish.

Please note:
· All events MUST be FREE! No donations. No passing the hat. You may sell CDs etc.
· Small amounts of money may be available for travel expenses etc. Write to: info@theforest.org.uk
· Very loud events are not permitted without prior approval.
· Corkage: live music splits corkage with Forest (i.e. a 50/50 split of the 'bar') but acts must speak to Night Managers in advance. If any performers are under 18 we may temporarily suspend BYOB.
· Events must end at 11.00 unless otherwise approved.
· Repeat bookings are subject to approval by the Events Working Group.
· Make a poster and promote your event. Come early for your sound check/set up. Check what equipment you will need.
· Forest reserves the right to cancel or alter any event at any time.
· PLEASE REMEMBER: All night staff are volunteers. A Night Manager will be in charge and must be present for the night to go ahead. If no-one has signed up to work in advance your event will be cancelled. Please help the staff when you can.

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:21 pm

Or down from 238 words to 204...
You must fill in all fields neatly. To book more than one slot score out the other times.
Tick box if you need a sound engineer. We will try to supply one for free but this is not guaranteed. Make your own arrangements if preferred.
All events MUST be FREE! No donations. No passing the hat. You may sell CDs etc.
Small amounts may be available for travel expenses etc. Write to: info@theforest.org.uk
Very loud events are not permitted without prior approval.
Corkage: live music splits corkage with Forest (i.e. a 50/50 split of the 'bar'). Speak to Night Manager in advance. If any performers are under 18 we may suspend BYOB.
Events must end at 11.00 unless otherwise approved.
Repeat bookings are subject to approval.
Make a poster and promote your event. Come early for your sound check/set up. Check what equipment you will need.
Forest reserves the right to cancel or alter any event at any time.
PLEASE REMEMBER: All night staff are volunteers. A Night Manager will be in charge and must be present for the night to go ahead. If no-one has signed up to work in advance your event will be cancelled. Please help the staff when you can.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 pm

ive put the re draft in .is the text too small ? the date goes in the space at the top

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:28 pm

Try it with the second redraft.
Is it going to be printed A4 or A5?
A4 should be fine at that size.

The times are all messed up of course but you probably noticed that...

No room for websites/links?

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 pm

am not sure the size , i would think a4 . the 2nd draft is better .

i have a few things to do , change the times and put the web site bit in .

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 am

all i need now is the august written part to finish the book , does it need a front page with all the detail bigger ?

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:45 pm

August EVENTS:

Please fill in all fields and The Forest will contact you by July 12th to confirm your event. Please tell us what dates and times work best for you. We will try to make sure all requests are honored but, this may well be impossible and we thank you in advance for your understanding.

or something like that