Any chance for some non-fictional graphic novels??

Records, publishing, shop etc.
Susana

Any chance for some non-fictional graphic novels??

Post by Susana » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 am

:roll:

here I go again: would you contemplate the idea of buying some non-fictional graphic novels to have in the library? (I mean the type of Maus, Persepolis, Palestine, Cancer Vixen etc, etc, etc) Last summer I had applied for a 'grant' for this purpose but no success then. But I still think that they would be a great addition to the library, they are a sort of new type of literature that most people have not yet encountered and therefore enjoy because they are prejudged as 'comics' and dismissed.
However it happens often that once the first one is read one gets hooked!

Their price is around £15 and we would have to choose between getting them from Amazon (half price) or buy them from a local bookshop such as Word Power thus helping the community and independent bookshops. I would say the core of the main ones is about 6 (to cover for a variety of styles and subject)

And we would definitely put a heavy warning to discourage being taken away.... I suggest we say that if any one disappears the whole lot will be withdrawn and perhaps from then on only volunteers will have access to them.

I leave you to ruminate... and if you want to get further convinced check them out at Word Power, they have a great collection. :wink:
Susanita, la amiga tonta de Mafalda

Gandhi

Post by Gandhi » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:42 am

Aren't all the books in the library donated to the Forest for free, or am I mistaken. Could they be sold through the Forest shop??
It's like God's vagina!

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:24 pm

some of the books / magazines we have bought but not many. in terms of graphic novels. they are good to have around.

Suzanna - can you pick two of the most essential (in your opinion) and we will buy them. I have no problem with amazon but if people rather support WP, that is cool.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Palestine is great. I have a second copy Dai gave me that I could donate to the library- - but do people think it's in a good enough state that it won't be nicked/torn up/doodled on? I don't mind it being given forever to Forest but would be sad to see it disappear from there. Otherwise I can loan it round anyone who wants it.
Persepolis is excellent too ,as is Maus.
All 3 essentials I would say x x
Our big brother's got no heart,
when I get my chance I'm going to punch him in the nose, in the nose, in the nose

Susana

Post by Susana » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 am

I agree with Dan, those three are essential but if we have to choose I would buy Persepolis and Maus. I had hang from the library shelf a booklet with a list of some of the best graphic novels and in it I indicate which ones are held at the Edinburgh libraries. So, as long as there are a couple of them as a sample for people to discover and get their teeth into then they can go to the library for more... if they wish. (Yummy, yummy)

So, if you agree I'll buy those two ones.

R.S.V.P.

And I want to produce labels carrying some sort of death penalty. Someone can show me how to make them? I used to know how but I can't see how to match the ones I bought to an available form in my computer.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 pm

sounds good suz.

buy away and get a receipt, please.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:12 pm

Persepolis is great, though really well known now (especially with the film out). Would it be better to get one of the others instead?

Going with word power would be nice. Any word from Elaine if she might be able to get a discount from the publishers?

Gaz

Post by Gaz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:33 pm

And I want to produce labels carrying some sort of death penalty. Someone can show me how to make them? I used to know how but I can't see how to match the ones I bought to an available form in my computer.
Just use the reference labels already made.
They are quite clear. We have some amazing and expensive books already and they have yet to go awol. The label makes the difference.

Also... the library does have a budget.

We haven't been using it completely so feel free to buy within the budget, after putting your ideas forward.

Looking forward to the new additions...
the more you think, the more you stink

Susana

Post by Susana » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:13 am

Dear comrades in decision making,

I was waiting for Elaine of WP to ask the publishers for a reduction, sometime this week, but there is something I am reconsidering: I realised that there were basically three positive answers to my proposal and that two of those were the ones who encouraged me to put the idea forward... :shock: I understand that probably this is due to very few people reading this section of the BB. But as it stands, wouldn't that be nepotism rather than democracy? :wink: If you could bring it to a large/r group of people in a working group meeting or so I would be happier. Otherwise I am uncomfortable.

By the way, if you worry that I may feel too much of an outsider to the Forest, don't. I like it as it is. My volunteering is due to me liking very much some parts of the Forest, nothing to do with career or ego. I could participate in any of the groups, and most of you are adorable,... but you are so young and unworldly... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Your big sister/enfant terrible/pain in the back.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:09 am

Yes, there aren't so many people reading this board, but it is definitely more than just the three of us! Usually the silence is because people approve. The board isn't the ideal way to make decisions, but this is a small spending decision (which fits within an unspent budget) and therefore okay, I think. But, if you're still uncomfortable, we can wait until the next Facilities working group meeting to decide - might be the same three people though!!

Susana

Post by Susana » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:10 pm

OK, then. You convinced me. I'll wait and see if Elaine, at WP, can get them a tad cheaper for us. 8)

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 pm

If something's been on the BB for a few days it's a reasonable bet that quite a few people have seen it - you can also see in the forum the number of views the thread has had, if you want.

Personally, if I see something I agree with, where there are already some people replying to support it, and nobody disagreeing, then I won't generally bother to add a "me too" unless I'm super-enthusiastic for some reason. I think this is probably roughly what most people do too.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:54 pm

i feel generally the same as martin , it not something i know alot about . the workings of the library . other than if a few people think its cool then it is ,

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:32 pm

It's a good point though, that the 'me too' can be helpful to add, just so people know that it really isn't going to be a problem to go ahead, or that people support their idea.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:03 pm

I agree with Shannon, and we both agree with Martin, and by the law of transitivity, with Martin too. And I've read or given all the comics to people, so I agree with Susana that they are good.

So, me too.

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:11 pm

me too,

those graphic novels are all really good and would make any library a better place.

Susana

Post by Susana » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:26 am

:lol: Slow but very good progress: the publishers of Persepolis are going to give us a free copy when their new edition comes out! Yippie!! They mention perhaps to put a sticker informing people that they can buy a copy at Word Power. I say of course! Elaine, from WP, still has to ask the publishers of Maus when she manages to see them. It would be great if they were of the same generous disposition... :mrgreen:

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:01 pm

That's great!