happy hooker

martinmckenna

happy hooker

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 pm

On thurdays the gallery was closed as john had spend 2 days prepping the space for his opening on friday. the space was immaculate. now ,the happy hookers group then went into the gallery . This is not on if the gallery is closed then it is closed . I spoke to alex about it and he agreed that this was not the best .

I think this should be discussed in th visual arts groups . this type of thing seems to be happening quite often . it was bongo tastic the other night whist john was invigilating the space . this i found to be quite annoying .

On the happy hooker side of things i personlay quite like seing them in the space. i would think this is good for the forest .but this workshop seems to be getting really big . going from a corner to whole room .

i think that the red room should be used more for workshops and maybe you should be able to reserve it .

stephengoodall

Post by stephengoodall » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:33 pm

its good that there will always be people in there but we need to avoid the extremes like having a juggling group in there next to priceless sculptures in glass.

the red room idea is good inj theory but i think it might be a nightmare to enforce a booking? how to the workshops and stuff usually work?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Part of the reason for the action room is workshops. They can also try the red room if they dare. They should not be in the gallery - especially if the space has been prepped and is roped off, as it was the other night.

Awhile ago we were doing the bag making workshop in the gallery, but this was before we had the action room. Also, I asked Alice. The idea was to ask each artist exhibiting whether they minded a workshop happening. And of course, there is a difference between five people and a couple of sewing machine versus twenty five people spread across the floor, drinking wine and crocheting.

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 pm

I totally agree.

The Crochet thing is getting really huge, bigger and bigger each time at the moment.

So, the three options are

- having the group in the Gallery, but with definite guidelines which we will have to 'enforce' ourselves. Because I'm not always there, it would be up to other people who may not feel as empowered to tell people they shouldn't be doing something. Also, randoms are attracted to the buzz of the group, and come to mooch around for a bit.

- having it in the Red Room. This would mean we have to claim the space for that period of time, and people would have to shift. Which is fine, and the people hanging about in there usually we may want to shift sometimes, no?

- having it in the Action Room, where we will set out pillows, have loads of space, smoke shishas and listen to cool jazz.

I'm for one of the last two. The only con with the Action Room is it takes the workshop away from the public eye, which has been useful to build the group. And, it may be difficult to move people away from the Red Room. Big signs are easy though.

Can you let me know your opinions soon as. I'd like to send a nice message to the group raising the point.

Sincere apologies for disrespecting the Gallery,

Shears,

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Ryan says action room conflicts with working group meetings. Red room sounds like the best option. Shift the peoples and set it up as you will. It's just too big for the gallery, I think.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38 am

or elephant house?
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:44 am

the red room would be good , nice to see it being used for somethings positive .