cafe and events working group meeting tuesday. 5th. feb. 7pm

Working group and other such Forest meeting minutes
ravanwin

cafe and events working group meeting tuesday. 5th. feb. 7pm

Post by ravanwin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Cafe and Events Meeting: 5 Feb

present: ryan gareth martin andy milk swithun someguy ras alex

closing checklist
food quality argument (2 side to every burrito!)
Milk fridge
sticky recipies
table tops (fuck you nick beeson!)
night manager empowerment
late nights
films
free che gun classes
ep night
japanesse guy
piano
new meeting times
vollie party?
tour!

Checklist:

“people who are here are great. you are really handsome and sexy!” alex says. Also the checklist is clear and good. Alex wrote it if there are any problems – let him know!

IF people are going to stay late they need to finish the 3rd part of the check list. Someone needs to be responsible if the cafe is to stay open. Certain people may be able to stay behind at night.

People who can stay behind are FWG members, kitchen / night staff, and invited people. Volunteers have priority. Performers can stay. Final Point is: Someone HAS to be responisble. They lock the doors, they make sure everything is clean, THEY are the person in charge.

Bottom line: responibility is important.

Food Quality:

point is: people are being pissy. alex is working on a patronizing staff manual. ryan will help him. many people get pissy about food – constructive critissism is great but not always. Kms have a lot to do. Food can be inconsistent.

Point: tell kitchen if something is off. they will fix it.
action: applause for alex.

Milk Fridge:
not working. we will switch fridges.
Action: ryan will bring new fridge down the stairs.

Sticky Recipes:

There is a sticky on the forest forum. Put your favourite recipe on there so we can make it. YUMM
Action: ryan will publicize this.

Table Top:

there are loads now.
Make sure they get out there bring them out. make them seen.
good.

NM Empowerment:

Some of stuff not done MAYBE because Nms are not feeling empowered to direct staff. Big up Nms to incoming staff and let them know who is in charge. make sure they feel ok bossing people about if needed.

Films:

What the fuck? Tuesday filmclub has been showing features instead of documentarys. We have enough film nights and there should only do one film night per week. Tariq was meant to finish by 9pm and was only supposed to be only documentary films. It is a bit out of hand. FIRM: 7 – 9 slot (whatever it is?) and FIRM: ONLY Documentary other films can be shown on Monday. People who are can't be bothered to come to meetings have complained. Thanks. Previous minutes: “month trial period 7 – 9 tuesdays” seems that the trial has changed to 9.

ACTION: can shanon speak to him since she made the original arrangement? If she doesn't prefer nix ras and swith can sort it out.

FREE CLASSES CHE GUN:

teaching che gun is a kind of thai chi. it is good. 5 animals che gun based on animal forms. learned in ths USA.

action: ryan makes it done.

EP Night:
Possibly the coolest thing to ever happened. people on stage, songs written on stage, anyone can shout out lyrics, anyone can get involved, songs recorded on the night, a finished product (3 songs?) at the end of the night. Good support from the group. gAndy organising, still has a bit to do. Peoplew ho are bad at stuff should keep quiet, or just stick to the triangle. It's going to be chaotic, so need to keep a solid core of musicians with influences around.

When: vollie night or a friday night or what? Normal night. Andy is organizing – contact him if you need help.

Japaneese Guy:

this guy is going to come and whinge about the G8. Basically, it's bad and he'll be telling that in japansese. How exciting! Shannon wants £50. Action: £50 = OK! on the condition that they take out their front windows in japan and throw and awesome street party with out any violence only great dancing. Police invited.

not many people know about events budget. action: ryan to add a note in events book.

PIANO:

we have a piano in the cafe that is fucked. we have been offered a free piano to replace it with. ken will bring it. kim may cut the stage to fit it in.

a new piano may happen if we cut open the stage. maybe the speakers will maybe affect the tuning.

action: quite probably this collective group of idiots will get us yet another piano. they will cut into the stage and “lock it” in place to help keep the tuning. Firstly, nix will find out if the speakers will de-tune the piano via proximity.

New Meeting Time: first wed. of month. 7pm.
agreed!

Volunteer party: any ideas? no.

TOUR:
we need another meeting.

Films:
would be good to get them listed online.

NEXT MEETING – we will go through previous two meetings action points.
Last edited by ravanwin on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention the laundry. There is probably just one person who makes the tea towels really dirty and wet and then hides them at the bottom of the dirty laundry bin, letting them marinade for as long as possible, so that our washing machine and then our whole flat smell like rotten carrots.

Please stop it. Fuck.

Newington Bandit

Post by Newington Bandit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:30 pm

the rubbish that ends up in the laundry bin pisses me off too. Couldn't go to the meeting on Tuesday but Swithun was in charge of ranting on my behalf.
Not nice to have to fish out onion peels, rotten carrots, crumpled papers and stuff like that before it's safe to put in the washing machine (especially with the muldy rotten soaked tea towels at the bottom...).

Now I had my rant and I'm happy

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:45 pm

I will try to keep an eye on the laundry bin and catch the rotten bastard. Thank you thank you thank you. xxxxx.

Actions from past meetings: I am trying to get a hold of the grinder guy, but the phone number I have no longer works! Will hunt them down.

Once upon a time I was supposed to update the menu. I couldn't open the file in a changeable format. I think chombee has directions for me. This is going back to the top of my to do list.

Bad, bad Shannon.

chris

Post by chris » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:12 pm

yo,

read the bit about the piano.. is it impossible for the current one to be fixed?

cos it is a good piano, and way smaller than regular pianos... that was why it was switched to it...

the stage is already small, if piano on there, gonna take up a lot of room, whether the stage is insanely cut or not...

laters
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

chris

Post by chris » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:05 pm

in general, this is something we do a lot, replace stuff that could be fixed. it would be great if we could address that attitude (where possible) and support the culture of maintenance and fixing things, rather than todays wasteful habit of disposability and replacement. even if it costs money.

xxxx
Maybe it could work? But it will be a kaleidoscopic blend of mysterious shadows and rainbow hued-dreams seen through compassionate tears.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:03 pm

nix claims the piano is too small and not loud enough for the space and so people bash it and fuck it up regularly. a real piano will be a bit more durable. the goal is to trade the little piano for services rendered in tuning the other pianos.

point taken re: waste. i suggested all these things at the meeting and they were competently refuted by the people involved and in attendance.

chris

Post by chris » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:33 am

our previous pianos, have also been destroyed by people, and were awkwardly too large.

martinmckenna

Post by martinmckenna » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:02 am

someone was saying that the good thing about the piano was that you could see the other musicians whist playing it .

lucky

Post by lucky » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:07 pm

Can my apologies be removed as I attended in the end, please.

A*
Bohnenflaschen!

swithun

Post by swithun » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 pm

I had to move the new upright so that the subtitles could be seen by people at the side of the room last night. I did tell people to move to where they could see the bottom of the screen. But at least we didn't have this problem with the spinette. The projected image could be made a bit smaller and moved up I suppose.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:57 pm

Spoke to Tariq and everything is cleared up on the 7pm start time. He said he only intended to show a feature occasionally, if short on time and temporarily out of good docs. Is this okay? I think he'd rather show a feature than nothing as people have started to come along weekly.

ravanwin

Post by ravanwin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:44 pm

i think it is ok in the winter but as we move to warmer nicer months it's good to have the cafe not dark and filmy....

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:02 pm

The cafe is so slow in May/June that I think a dark event with people is better than bright with no people. July/August will be a different story, of course.